Breeding a mare that has had a C-Section

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timeless

Reaction score
Just experienced my first dystocia that ended with a C-Section. I have decided to never breed this mare again and have her become a driving horse. My question is, how many of you have bred a mare that had a previous C-Section? I need to decide what I will do if this happens again. You cannot make a knowledgeable decison when you are in the throws of a panic.

Thanks for your opinions.

Just experienced my first dystocia that ended with a C-Section. I have decided to never breed this mare again and have her become a driving horse. My question is, how many of you have bred a mare that had a previous C-Section? I need to decide what I will do if this happens again. You cannot make a knowledgeable decison when you are in the throws of a panic.

Thanks for your opinions.
I can't answer the questions, but wondered if the foal made it. Good luck with your mare.

Barb

I don't have any personal experience, but one of the good equine surgeons here was telling me a story about a thoroughbred mare he did a section on. 2 months later the owner told him he had bred her. surgeon wasn't happy. Owner said he'd done this before with mares. This particular mare had some kind of injury (fractured pelvis?) that prevented vaginal delivery, but was some super bred horse and foals were very valuable. Anyway, for a number of years the mare had foals by c-section. Then the vet moved away. He speculated that the pregnancy served as an internal pressure bandage and prevented scar tissue from forming. By the time the mare got heavy the incision was well healed.

Charlotte

No the colt was dead. He was HUGE. His head was turned backwards. The surgeon said he would have never made it through the birthcanal. She was due March 22 (340 days) and had C-section on April 29. I assumed she didn't take when I thought and secretly came back into heat. However, now I don't know. She also has a vaginal tear that I wasn't told about until yesterday. The surgeon said it cannot be repaired for 4-6 weeks (for another $$$$$). I brought her home and will see if it will repair itself. She looks like nothing has happened except for that. She is very happy.

I would have a spay done while they had her open...wouldn't ever have to worry about it ever happening again. The mare wouldn't have to go through any more heat cycles, and there is the added benifit of a new driving "gelding".

I would have a spay done while they had her open...wouldn't ever have to worry about it ever happening again. The mare wouldn't have to go through any more heat cycles, and there is the added benifit of a new driving "gelding".

I am a small animal veterinarian, and that was the first thing I asked the surgeon. She thought I was crazy and said that could not be done at the same time.

Through the years we have had a number of mares that have had c-sections and have gone on to have vaginal deliveries with no trouble afterwards. The first few, we waited a year to rebreed, but studies that a couple of my vets mentioned to breed back later in the same season, which we now do. Usually give them three months or more to heal before rebreeding.

I am a small animal veterinarian, and that was the first thing I asked the surgeon. She thought I was crazy and said that could not be done at the same time.
HMM...I wonder why not? You would think it would be easier on the mare...than perhaps another surgery?

So sorry about your colt and hoping your mare continues to improve.. As for the other this is an interesting topic. I would never have thought to breed a mare again who had had a c-section... Didnt think you could guess thats why seeing this is so very informative...

If the mare was so valuable that I'd consider needing to breed her after a C-section, I would probably opt for Embryo Transfer. This is getting more common today for valuable mares that otherwise can't, shouldn't, risky, or you just don't want to have them carry a full term foal themselves.

Otherwise, there are probably plenty of mares that should just become "geldings" if that's not an option. It's risky enough to breed a mare, let alone one that now is much higher risk.

Andrea

This is just my opinion, but after an experience like that I'd never want to re-breed the mare. I would retire her.

We also have had mares foal via CS, and have rebred and foaled naturally several times. I would not hesitate to do it again if necessary.

My favourite mare had to have a C-Section, after she had an early parturition at 263 days as a result of physical trauma. On the recommendation from our vet we gave her the season off, as she had some complications following surgery, then put her in foal the following season. She had a healthy filly for us this year, and it was a completely textbook foaling
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back