break away halters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnbum

Reaction score
Here's the muzzle I plan on getting: muzzle

Actually--I'll be getting three. Country Max has some. I'll order on line what they don't have.

I prefer the deluxe model that has the halter with it, but they are too big for my horses.

Now I'll need break away halters...

I found some on ebay for $5.50. I have an email in to ask how to measure for the right fit. The place where the muzzles are sold has some nice ones for $15.

Ideas?

Here's the muzzle I plan on getting: muzzle

Actually--I'll be getting three. Country Max has some. I'll order on line what they don't have.

I prefer the deluxe model that has the halter with it, but they are too big for my horses.

Just a word of warning....I bought several grazing muzzles last year. I have some very "easy keepers" (That is a polite way of saying fat horses, LOL) Since my pastures have beautiful bermuda grass it is really hard to keep the weight off some of them so I started putting grazing muzzles on some of them. Almost immediately I began having problems. One of my girls began to foam at the mouth and seemed to be having trouble eating. I called the vet out and between he and I we decided that she had something stuck in her throat. Probably a goat head sticker. He flushed her throat and started her on antibiotics to avoid an infection. The next day I noticed that one of my other horses had a place on the side of her mouth that looked sore. I think she, too got a goat head in the side of her lip. And this was in a relatively "clean" pasture. We spend hundreds of dollars each year to keep down the stickers and have them almost eliminated.

I think in the grazing muzzles the horses are not able to be as choosy as they like to be. They can't actually see and/or feel what they are getting ready to eat as easily.

Don't know for sure what happened, but I don't use grazing muzzles any more.

Barbara

mini express has nice break away halter with adjustable nose bands

I just looked they always had XS which always fit our newborns (but looks like they don't have XS anymore)

But still nice halters the S fits our weanlings very well

Thanks for the replies.

Barbara--the pastures here are so low, a mower wouldn't come close to a blade of grass. And the only weeds are daisies and buttercups--which were all weed whacked before I applied Round-Up...so no worries there.

Thanks, eagle's... I saw those and was comparing prices.

Horseloverz.com has deluxe grazing muzzles made by Tough-1 that I really like, used one last year. They have a "built in" halter with velcro for break away. I think that would break away faster for a mini than any break away leather halter. I think my mare only got hers off one time before I had it adjusted correctly. And they are really reasonable, only about $20 and you can pick different colors.
default_smile.png
I used one for one of my mini mares and it worked perfectly.

Here is the link:

http://www.horseloverz.com/Nylon-Grazing-Muzzle-pr-355004.html

Thanks, Kim! I picked one up at Country Max on the way home--and attached it to Rosie's halter. It was $40!!! Plus--she doesn't have a break away halter...so I just ordered three more. I'll have a spare. I appreciate you letting me know.
default_yes.gif

Oh--she hates it!! I stuck some treats through the hole to show her how it worked, and she ate those. She tried to graze, but the grass is shorter than the muzzle is thick! She won't be getting anything--not a blade. Poor girl.

She sure must be feeling better because she tore like there's no tomorrow when I got home. The three mares were left in for the day and they had energy to burn off--good grief.
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back