Brainstorming exercise ideas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
All of my girls could use more exercise. I'm following the recommendation of limiting lunging of my 2 yr old and 1 yr olds. I'm still trying to get the knack of it as well. Walking them each daily is not a viable option as I don't have time to walk each of them individually every day for the length of time that would be necessary. I'm trying to walk each of them at least every 3rd day but its been hit or miss.

Tonight, I thought I'd "free lunge" them in our paddock area. The area is our dry lot that is a long rectangle. Measurement wise? It's about a 1/4 of acre, I think. I should probably get my husband to give me a better idea...I'm awful about estimating
default_smile.png
Anyway, using my whip, I get them moving in the area. The lead mare, our 11 yr old, gets everyone moving. They start out at full gallop but quickly settle into going in and out of trotting and cantering.

As I was trying to keep up with them AND keep them together (the 2 yr old and yearlings kept splitting off trying to get back up into the corral), my son (12) asked if he could help by riding his bike around the same area. He's really good with the horses and knows that in order to do this safely, he'd have to keep his distance and not be aggressive about it.

It worked really well, they continued to go in and out of easy trotting and cantering, doing serpentine patterns, short circles, long ovals. The area is ever so slightly sloped too. I'd have him back off every few rounds or so, to let them move down to a walk and catch their breath.

Grand total, between the two of us, we had them moving consistently for about 15 minutes. None of them seemed stressed afterwards. I cleaned out their stalls afterward and then brought in my camp chair and 3 of the 4 spent the next 20 minutes getting scratches from me while I relaxed in the chair.

My question for the experts out there is whether you think this is a good exercising option? If so, what would be the maximum times a week would you do this? If I could use this as ONE part of a consistent exercise routine, I think I could keep them in good shape.

Obviously, we wouldn't do this when the ground is frozen, muddy, etc. to avoid injury. We won't do it in the heat of the day and anytime when the weather is still so hot and humid in the early evening.

Thanks in advance for you input, as always.

Please please do not do this. I have 2 friends that lost a horse doing this. It seems like a good idea in the beginning until it all goes wrong. What usually happens is 2 will fight for the lead and one ends up accidentally running into something and hitting its head.

I also think it is beneficial to work them one at a time as you can do more training that way verses working many at once.

We honestly have never had to work a yearling. If you give them plenty of play time and feed them well they just dont normally need it.

Kay

Please please do not do this. I have 2 friends that lost a horse doing this. It seems like a good idea in the beginning until it all goes wrong. What usually happens is 2 will fight for the lead and one ends up accidentally running into something and hitting its head.

I also think it is beneficial to work them one at a time as you can do more training that way verses working many at once.

We honestly have never had to work a yearling. If you give them plenty of play time and feed them well they just dont normally need it.

Kay
Thanks for the input Kay. I hadn't thought of the aspect of "fighting for the lead". And I'm only including the yearlings as part of the group. I'm not interested in "working" them per say as I agree that they are too young to do any "serious" work especially when we're not showing on a level that requires that kind of conditioning.

Latest posts

Back