Bowed Tendon

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormo41

Reaction score
I'm going to look at a 12 year old TB gelding on Thursday night. His owner informed me he used to be a racehorse and has a bowed tendon from racing. I have never delt with a horse with a bowed tendon, she told me he has been checked on a regular bais to make sure there is no problems with it. She rides him lightly and started him over 2ft fences last year. I would be riding often but lightly just for pleasure I may not even want to jump him at all.

Have any one rode or owned horses with a bowed tendon? any information you can give me about it?

thank you very much

-vanessa

I think he would be fine for light riding not sure I personally would jump him tons.. it can flare up again though and usually just means some lay off time

I have owned 2 OTTB and both had bowed tendons and had no problems. We did mostly trailriding and took a lesson once a week. We did compete in H/J shows but they were a local barn show and did combined training with the other and she loved to jump.

I think if you are interested in the horse, and want to jump it is possible, but have the horse vet checked before and ask the vet what they think.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info. Jumping is not high on my list of things to do, it sounds like he could do the amount of riding i want to do. I can't wait to go take a look at him :bgrin

Hey Vanessa, I have seen horses that have raced again after having bowed tendons. Do you know how the tendon was treated after the intial bow? It doesn't mean the end of the world for him and there are all sorts of things you can do to ensure that he doesn't have problems in the future, including educating yourself on what bowed tendons are all about. If you really only intend to ride him lightly I wouldn't let it scare you off.

Pammy

PS-you can pm me if you have more questions...

I say "no" and walk away. Far, far, away.

Yes I have had a horse with bowed tendons. You always have that worry that it will bow again and it certainly can, wether being ridden very lightly or not.

That's buying trouble.

It depends on the severity of the bow and whether it's the first time he's bowed it or if he as re-bowed it. If they have ultrasounds done of it then it will show you the severity of it. We've got some racehorses running successfully on bows. If you take care of it and monitor it you're fine. If you're just doing light riding you'll be fine. I would just suggest to always wrap his legs when you ride him.

I've had more then my share here, and I would also advise to tred Extremly carefully. Personally, I wouldn't buy one that had it happen. I have one here who's my soulmate, and who has had The Best care, down to lazer's and stem cell injections etc, and she's not Really right since her bow which was almost 3 years ago now. It's not just riding. That is now a 'weak' area, and a bad tourqe in the paddock can activate it again.

Unless he'sjust your instant soulmate, and the price is beyond reasonable, I'd walk away. Lots of horses out there!

Have a pre purchase exam by an impartial vet before you buy!!!!! It is well worth the few bucks investment prior to getting into something. I have seen many horses that had previously bowed tendons that had useful lives, but also some that didnt. Get the vet check if you are serious about this one.

Latest posts

Back