Bordernese Puppies (Border Collie X Bernese)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
Wanted to thank Matt73 for being there last night.

Well all was a little scary at first, her water broke but nothing progressing through the night, so decided to take her to the vet's first thing this morning, they do not know why, no pups where stuck but we decided she would be way too tired to do the birthing herself with Oxytocin and than wait and see, would be taking a chance of her water being broke for so long which would not be good, so went ahead and did a C- Section.

Tabitha is home and comfortable with all 13 puppies.

Now the fun begins trying to make sure they all get their milk being only 8 teats and 13 puppies.

She might need a few prayers to handle such a big family thanks.

Picture of Tabitha and her family home resting and getting to the milk bar.

She needs fluids for the next 8 hours, antibiotics and pain meds for the next 7 days.

Tabitha Puppies 13 Dec. 2011 002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh poor girl. When I worked at the vets, c-sections were so difficult, trying to get the puppies born, rubbed, all fluids out of their mouth, and with a litter so large, lots of hands needed. Hope she feels better soon. Congratulations on so many babies.

Oh poor girl. When I worked at the vets, c-sections were so difficult, trying to get the puppies born, rubbed, all fluids out of their mouth, and with a litter so large, lots of hands needed. Hope she feels better soon. Congratulations on so many babies.
You are so correct, we had two young girls, and I helping.

My hubby tried but was not having much luck in getting them going.

They where hard to get going, being they where under the anesthesia.

A few where really hard to get them breathing.

We had to give them all some oxygen.

Before we could get one going there where two more being offered to us from the vet. We sure where all busy.

The vet was not far off she thought she might have 12 pups.

I must say they took really good care of Tabitha and all the puppies.
default_aktion033.gif

so happy that all is well with your lovely girl and her brood. Got a story for ya, I was the manager and head groomer for a vet. There were two buildings beside each other, one the vets office one the pet grooming salon. I also used to be a vet assitant before learning to groom, so was called over to the hosp. many times to assist in c-sections or ortho surgery that needed more hands. One day I was very busy grooming dogs and needed to get some finished early for clients that were very picky about picking up their babies on time. Well wouldn't you know, the vet rang over, had a c-section on a large mixed breed with at least 10 puppies or more. Of course this is a matter of life or death, I ran over to the hosp. and brought my second groomer with me to assist. We had five helpers and one vet delivering puppies, all survived and there wasn't 10 but 13. When I got back to the grooming salon I was met by an irate client becuase her baby wasn't finished and ready for pickup. Well when I explained what had happened she didn't care. I calmly told her that saving those babies was just alittle more important then her picking up her baby on time, and if she wanted to wait I would gladly have her baby ready in half an hour. She went out to her car to wait, then when she picked up her baby, she said she was sorry, that she went to the hosp and they explained what had happened, I think she thought I was lieing, but found out the truth. Any way, she still had me groom her precious baby till the day it died, and always appreciated my dedication to the dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any way, she still had me groom her precious baby till the day it died, and always appreciated my dedication to the dogs.
Loved the story thanks, and you are one heck of a lady.

Need more people like you.

Not sure if I could do this again, boy oh boy was one long morning.

My husband said when he was trying to help and so many had come out, looked over at the vet and seen we where only half way done. He was like a little boy, and was so excited and so proud of his Tabitha, when she was coming out of the anesthesia. she looked over at him and he knelt down beside her and gave him a big kiss..
default_wub.png

Glad there was a happy ending..... Whew....what a lot of babies.

I was surprised to see you had such trouble due to your wealth of experience whelping litters.

Congratulations
default_aktion033.gif

Glad there was a happy ending..... Whew....what a lot of babies.

I was surprised to see you had such trouble due to your wealth of experience whelping litters.

Congratulations
default_aktion033.gif
Thanks Gene,

This was a new one for me, and just did not feel right, she had no contractions.

Tabitha was panting, pacing not getting down to business and when she would get up was leaking fluids.

Always learning, but so glad we had a good ending and did not loose any so far, now all I can do is just make sure they are all nursing and making mom comfortable.

Bravo to you for being on top of things.......You save some little lives....
default_aktion033.gif

Now for the work to begin, I bet. You may be looking at supplementing? Keep us updated.

Bravo to you for being on top of things.......You save some little lives....
default_aktion033.gif

Now for the work to begin, I bet. You may be looking at supplementing? Keep us updated.
Will for sure, I know one thing I will be sleeping near by for the next week for sure, and someone will be home with them at all times, so hubby gets to take over when I have to go run errands etc.

Also will be weighing them daily for awhile.

Here is a picture after Mom finally decided to go out for a toilet break and get some nice mixed canned food and a good big drink of water.

She was not long that is for sure, so had to take it quickly.
default_wink.png

Tabitha Puppies 13 Dec. 2011.jpg

Ok, I saw your post on Matt's thread, so I have a question or two. Is Tabitha a Bordernese? And, what was the dad to the pups?

I LOVE Bernese dogs! (Is it true they have a short life span?) How about the Bordernese?

Lovely dogs! WHEW what an ordeal! I'm glad Tabitha had so much help! That's a whole HERD of puppies!
default_wub.png

Congrats!! More pics as they grow please! Any more pics of mom?

I LOVE Bernese dogs! (Is it true they have a short life span?) How about the Bordernese?

Lovely dogs! WHEW what an ordeal! I'm glad Tabitha had so much help! That's a whole HERD of puppies!
default_wub.png

Congrats!! More pics as they grow please! Any more pics of mom?
Yes is true short life span, but with the border collie mix should be a longer life span.

Here is another couple of pictures of Mom

Tabitha 7.jpg

Tabitha 1.jpg

Tabitha Puppies 13 Dec. 2011 B.jpg

Will these pups be 3/4 Bernese?Have you done this same breeding before? Pretty mom-dad's no slacker either.

She's lovely
default_wub.png

I want one! Not sure if my dog would let me have a new doggie though.

Will these pups be 3/4 Bernese?Have you done this same breeding before? Pretty mom-dad's no slacker either.
My first litter was with this mix of 10 puppies.

They do look more like dad when full grown.

default_saludando.gif
wow 13 puppys,,,thay are beautiful
default_wub.png
my doggy had 11 puppys and wow what a night mare

that was...it is hard work for the owner to have so many puppys....good luck

Latest posts

Back