Book Club 2024

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6. I have always liked poetry and enjoyed that it was a part of the story. My favorite books of poetry are by Robert Frost and Emily Dickinson. Poetry can say a lot with few words and has a way of sticking with us, like an old melody. I bet many of us recognize this: “Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul. And sings the tune without the words, and never stops at all…” Emily Dickinson
I haven't heard that before but I really like it!

MARCH BOOK: Fly Girls by Keith O’Brien

First question, for anyone, whether you are reading the book or not, share your thoughts! We want to know! 😂

This nonfiction book pulls five women out of the era between 1920 - 1936 and obviously deals with their dream of and passion for flying. As you can imagine, they had many obstacles to overcome!

As a younger person, were there dreams that you were either able to pursue or had to let go?

I’ll start by saying horses were my first passion from early years and, thanks to my parents (and subsequently an understanding spouse) was able to have many experiences. Mom also loved horses, but she also loved to fly and had a pilots license in the mid 1930’s. Dad loved airplanes and his military service included jet engine mechanics. I dreamed of being able to fly a plane myself, but my first horse, Smokey, was my best friend and led to a life that has always included a horse, or two, or…well, you know! 😂 No regrets and lots of gratitude! ❤️

I enjoy nonfiction and think the aurhor did a good job of telling their story along with their place (town/country) and situation. I did take flying lessons as an adult for a brief while and have nothing but respect for the pioneers!

I'm looking forward to reading this book!

A dream I had when I was younger was to be a veterinarian. I followed all the steps, even went to U of FL as an animal science major. My personal life took a downward turn and I went home for a bit. I let go of that dream after my grades tanked but I sometimes wondered 'what if'. It turns out I met my husband shortly after, had a lovely family, and have no regrets.

When I was a kid I wanted exactly what I have now. Unfortunately I'm now too old to really enjoy it.

Canned rabbit ewwwww 🤢 LOL LOL

My dream… my dreams as a youngster was to have horses. I always wanted to get married and have kids too. When I meet my hubby he told me he didn’t want kids. So I told him we could have horses instead of kids and he agreed! I skipped having kids and just went straight for the horses. I love my life and am so happy I have a wonderful hubby & beautiful horses! 💕

Last edited:
Question #2: In Part 1 of the book, we are introduced to the five women: Louise McPhetridge, Ruth Nichols, Amelia Earhart, Ruth Elder, and Frances Grayson. Do you find yourself identifying with any of them in character, circumstances, or just life in general?

My answer: The product, Mentholatum, was sold by Louise’s dad for awhile, and I have a jar in the medicine cabinet. 😂 A very tenuous connection but it made me think how common items connect us even through time. Like Amelia, I enjoy poetry and it’s interesting to think she probably read Dickenson, Wordsworth, and Frost - the same poems we can still read today. I identified most with Frances Grayson in part because she was an older woman when she started, and while I started horses young, college was completed when I was 35.

I have enjoyed reading your responses and love that horses connect us across territory, countries, and personal lives. We are a tribe.

MARCH BOOK: Fly Girls by Keith O’Brien

First question, for anyone, whether you are reading the book or not, share your thoughts! We want to know! 😂

This nonfiction book pulls five women out of the era between 1920 - 1936 and obviously deals with their dream of and passion for flying. As you can imagine, they had many obstacles to overcome!

As a younger person, were there dreams that you were either able to pursue or had to let go?

I’ll start by saying horses were my first passion from early years and, thanks to my parents (and subsequently an understanding spouse) was able to have many experiences. Mom also loved horses, but she also loved to fly and had a pilots license in the mid 1930’s. Dad loved airplanes and his military service included jet engine mechanics. I dreamed of being able to fly a plane myself, but my first horse, Smokey, was my best friend and led to a life that has always included a horse, or two, or…well, you know! 😂 No regrets and lots of gratitude! ❤️
I just finished reading "Fly Girls" What a great read for National Women's History Month. I would not have picked this up if not for the club. I enjoyed reading about the women who made history and definitely were not given the credit they all deserved.
Q#1
My dream was to work with horses. I have been around horses since I was 4 yrs old. Was not able to support myself as I dreamed, but I've always had horses. I knew when retired I would fine a place to volunteer. I found a ranch that had bison, camels, zebra, reindeer, horses and farm animals. They also introduced me to miniature horses and donkeys. Within 6 months I had 2 mini horses, 4 years later a donkey and after 5 years I'm still a volunteer and loving the whole experience. Living the dream just 40 years later than I thought :)

Last edited:
Question #2: In Part 1 of the book, we are introduced to the five women: Louise McPhetridge, Ruth Nichols, Amelia Earhart, Ruth Elder, and Frances Grayson. Do you find yourself identifying with any of them in character, circumstances, or just life in general?

My answer: The product, Mentholatum, was sold by Louise’s dad for awhile, and I have a jar in the medicine cabinet. 😂 A very tenuous connection but it made me think how common items connect us even through time. Like Amelia, I enjoy poetry and it’s interesting to think she probably read Dickenson, Wordsworth, and Frost - the same poems we can still read today. I identified most with Frances Grayson in part because she was an older woman when she started, and while I started horses young, college was completed when I was 35.

I have enjoyed reading your responses and love that horses connect us across territory, countries, and personal lives. We are a tribe.
Q#2
I think I am a strong woman but not even close to as strong as these women were. This book didn't even scrape the surface of the battles they faced. They paved the way for me to be raised by a strong mother and father, who raised a strong daughter.

Question #3: In Part 2 of the book, we learn that Louise Thaden set out to break three aviation records, one of which was altitude. During her flight for altitude, Louise had a certified barograph on board, and two certified altimeters sealed into the cockpit. She attained a height of over 25,000 feet. In the days after this feat, the National Aeronautic Association determined her instruments were incorrect and gave her credit for a bit over 20,000 feet. How does that decision strike you?

Question #4: In 1929, Will Rogers the actor and humorist, was quoted as saying, “They are aviators but they are still women.” 🤔 What response would you have for Will?

Question #3: In Part 2 of the book, we learn that Louise Thaden set out to break three aviation records, one of which was altitude. During her flight for altitude, Louise had a certified barograph on board, and two certified altimeters sealed into the cockpit. She attained a height of over 25,000 feet. In the days after this feat, the National Aeronautic Association determined her instruments were incorrect and gave her credit for a bit over 20,000 feet. How does that decision strike you?

Question #4: In 1929, Will Rogers the actor and humorist, was quoted as saying, “They are aviators but they are still women.” 🤔 What response would you have for Will?
Question #3
I want to believe all the checks and balances were fair. Would they be the same for a man? Thaden had to fight for everything she accomplished.
Question #4
"Women are overcoming the huddles that men have put on them but still are setting and breaking records." We are women, we are strong."
:)

Q3: This reading seems to represent the facts. National flight records are not based on what cockpit instruments show, but on the the recording barograph carried by record seeking aircraft as an FAI requirement:

https://www.vintagebentonville.com/thaden-louise.html#gsc.tab=0

#5: Ruth Elder was asked by a reporter if flying was worth risking her life. Ruth replied, “yes”. Why do you think she believed that?

#6: The women obviously took risks. Is there a reckless choice you have made in life? How did it turn out?

#7: Even though they were competitive, the women also formed a supportive team. Where do you find your team for support and encouragement?

#8: Do you think there are still fields in which women struggle for acceptance?

#9: Which women pioneers (any field) have inspired you and why?

#10: Did reading, Fly Girls, inspire or motivate you to pursue a dream or project of your own?

Bonus information: 1952 was the first year women were allowed to compete in Olympic Equestrian sports. Lis Hartel, from Denmark, was one of four women competing. She won silver in spite of being a polio survivor with no movement below the knees and limited in hands and arms.

In 1921, Bessie Coleman became the first African American woman with Native American ancestry to earn a pilots license - in France. American flight schools turned her down due to race. (Her brother fought and served in WWI.)

I really enjoyed this book. I come from a flying family ♥️ I was a flight attendant at Continental, now United, for over 21 years. My hubby is a captain at a major airline. His mother, now 82, has her private pilots license and his father, also 82, a retired corporate pilot. I would not have read this book if it wasn’t for his group. I found it very interesting and enjoyed listening to it. I can identify with the women in this book. They are so strong and once they set their mind to something there was no stopping them. I love that they were all competitive but still supportive of one another, they cheered each other on. Similar to horse shows or sporting events, one can still be competitive and still supportive. I try to only compete against myself and am always challenging myself to do better.

The part when the Native Indians found the plane crash was priceless. I can just imagine how they felt being visited by “aliens” from outer space. LOL I do think women at times struggle for acceptance, whether in the workplace or with in ourselves. I was truly inspired by reading this book. These women were pioneers for aviation, how could one not be inspired 😉 I didn’t realize there were so many plane crashes back then. They all risked their lives every time they flew.

We watch those shows about Amelia Earnhardt’s plane going down and what exactly happened to her. The book simply stated that she just went down in the ocean, the History channel might need to consider this instead of coming up with so many different theories of what happen to her…maybe she wasnt abducted by aliens after all LOL LOL

Latest posts

Back