Book choices for March

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which book would you like to read?

• "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • "Saving CeeCee Honeycutt" by Beth Hoffman

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • "The Storyteller" by Jodi Picoult

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
We had nine books recommended for this month's group-read, and Random.org picked the following three...

"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn - On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears rom their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn't doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife's head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media - as well s Amy's fiercely doting parents - the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he's definitely bitter - but is he really a killer? As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn't do it, where is his beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?

"Saving CeeCee Honeycutt" by Beth Hoffman - Twelve-year-old CeeCee Honeycutt is in trouble. For years, she has been the caretaker of her psychotic mother, Camille-the tiara-toting, lipstick-smeared laughingstock of an entire town-a woman trapped in her long-ago moment of glory as the 1951 Vidalia Onion Queen. But when Camille is hit by a truck and killed, CeeCee is left to fend for herself. To the rescue comes her previously unknown great-aunt, Tootie Caldwell. In her vintage Packard convertible, Tootie whisks CeeCee away to Savannah's perfumed world of prosperity and Southern eccentricity, a world that seems to be run entirely by women. From the exotic Miz Thelma Rae Goodpepper, who bathes in her backyard bathtub and uses garden slugs as her secret weapons, to Tootie's all- knowing housekeeper, Oletta Jones, to Violene Hobbs, who entertains a local police officer in her canary-yellow peignoir, the women of Gaston Street keep CeeCee entertained and enthralled for an entire summer.

"The Storyteller" by Jodi Picoult - Sage Singer is a baker, a loner, until she befriends an old man who's particularly beloved in her community. Josef Weber is everyone's favorite retired teacher and Little League coach. One day he asks Sage for a favor: to kill him. Shocked, Sage refuses—and then he confesses his darkest secret – he deserves to die because he had been a Nazi SS guard. And Sage's grandmother is a Holocaust survivor. How do you react to evil living next door? Can someone who's committed truly heinous acts ever atone with subsequent good behavior? Should you offer forgiveness to someone if you aren't the party who was wronged? And, if Sage even considers the request, is it revenge…or justice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am interested to see what is selected, but each of these were or are now on my "I want to read list" (yay!)
default_yes.gif
... I think they ALL sound like something that I would enjoy reading
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree! Two of the three are on a new list I made to read. Can't wait to see which one we will be reading.

I have to admit... I'm kinda routing for one I myself didn't recommend (though I'll read that one, too, at some point!). I'm swaying over to the one currently in the lead
default_yes.gif
It does sound really good and the description of it on Audible says: "Steel Magnolias meets The Help in this Southern debut novel sparkling with humor, heart, and feminine wisdom." So one of my favorite movies x one of my favoite books + my love of southern fiction and I am reading this one no matter what ya'll decide to do
default_biggrin.png
... but it is more fun to know the experience is being shared
default_yes.gif

I've had that book on my Amazon Wishlist for a while, so I'm glad I could put it up for recommendation. I knew it had a Southern feel, but didn't know it was being compared to those two movies. (awesome!) Has anyone seen that movie 'The Secret life of Bees' or the title is close to that? I think it had Dakota Fanning and Jennifer Hudson in it.

Oops, forgot to mention that Gone Girl was recently added to my Wishlist too. So I was glad to see that one was also mentioned.
default_smile.png

Well, I hope to get in on one of these books one of these months.... Oy! I am still without a car that runs, between pets that have needed vet care, and the rather high cost of the car repairs, I am still somewhat stranded at home without transportation to the bookstore (until next month, hopefully when I can afford car repairs)... {{groan}}. But, I am thinking that one day I am going to bite the bullet, fork out money for a cab, and take off for the bookstore and pick up a book (!!) and to the other shop next door to the bookstore (Pier 1)! All the books sound great, I voted for "Saving CeeCeeHoneycutt".

I almost watched "The Secrect Life of Bees" tonight...

I'll make sure I watch it next time it's on TV, it seems to pop on TV every so often. It really does sound like a good movie.

Latest posts

Back