Book Choices for December

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one would you like to read?

• Jessica Meig's "The Becoming" (zombies)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dean Kootz's "77 Shadow St" (ghostly happenings)

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Gretchen McNeil's "Ten" (murder on a remote island)

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
I think our monthly volunteer did a wonderful job at selecting these books, giving us a variety to chose from. The winner will be announced in five days!
default_smile.png

Jessica Meigs' "The Becoming": The Michaluk Virus is loose. In the heart of Atlanta, the virus has escaped the CDC, and its effects are widespread and devastating. The virus infects nearly everyone in its path, turning much of the population of the southeastern United States into homicidal cannibals. As society rapidly crumbles under the hordes of infected, three people - Ethan Bennett, a Memphis police officer; Cade Alton, his best friend and former IDF sharpshooter; and Brandt Evans, a lieutenant in the US Marines - band together against the oncoming crush of death and terror sweeping across the world. As Cade, Brandt, and Ethan hole up in safe houses, others begin to join them in their bid for survival. When the infected attack and they’re forced to flee, one departs to Memphis in search of answers while the others escape south to Biloxi, where they encounter more danger than they bargained for. And in Memphis, the answers that one man finds are the last answers he wanted, answers that herald a horrific possibility that there may be more to this virus than first suspected.

Dean Koontz' "77 Shadow Street": Enter the world of the Pendleton: The original owner became a recluse - and was rumored to be more than half mad - after his wife and two children were kidnapped in 1896 and never found. The second owner suffered a worse tragedy in 1935, when his house manager murdered him, his family, and the entire live-in staff....Craftsmen and laborers working on renovations disappear or go mad....For years, the Pendleton is a happy place, until a bad turn comes again....Voices in unknown languages are heard in deserted rooms, everywhere and nowhere....Disturbing shadows move along walls but have no source....Images on security monitors show strange places that exist nowhere in the building or its grounds....A young boy talks of an imaginary playmate - who turns out to be terrifyingly real....A figure like a man but clearly inhuman is glimpsed in the courtyard gardens at night and in other locales, perhaps a hoaxer of some kind, seemingly oblivious of those who see it - until it suddenly takes an interest in one of them....

Gretchen McNeil's "Ten": Shhhh! Don't spread the word! Three-day weekend. House party. White Rock House on Henry Island. You do not want to miss it.It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—three days on Henry Island at an exclusive house party. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their own reasons for wanting to be there, which involve their school's most eligible bachelor, T. J. Fletcher, and look forward to three glorious days of boys, bonding, and fun-filled luxury.But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.Suddenly, people are dying, and with a storm raging outside, the teens are cut off from the rest of the world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn't scheduled to return for three days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?

Now that I am getting the hang of this, next month we will do genres, nominees, and voting all within the last nine days of the month. So it won't be as drawn out as this month was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great choices...sorry I wasn't able to give any suggestions, hopefully next time I will have time to participate more...looking forward to reading whatever gets selected.

Ooooh... one of these isn't on Audible. I hope one on audio gets picked. That's the only way I "read" for fun.

I'm very excited! I liked all of those choices, it was hard to vote, and can't wait to see what we are going to read!

Barbara

H normally listens to most of my audio books, and for what (if anything) he's missed the days I go to the office, he asks what happened if I don't bring him up to speed. And several times, my mom and I have read the same book (she won't "do" all the catagories I like). It's going to be a lot of fun having others to share a book experience with... and actually, for that, I'd even do a Fabio Romance (the least likely book I'd read). This is such a cool idea for LB members
default_yes.gif
Plus could the timing be any better??? We all probably spend more time quietly indoors in the fall and winter.

I'm very thankful to Debby for letting me open this forum. I was a bit worried that no one would like it or want to participate in it. Glad to know members are enjoying it.
default_smile.png
I can't wait to get whatever book wins!

Oh, I had a hard time deciding, but did finally pick one. I'd already read the one by Dean Koonz but left it sitting on my side table to reread, as it is intense. Voted for another by the way. Getting excited, and can't wait to find our which is chosen.

Well it looks like I just might have to buy both of the books fighting for the win. I'm going to Barnes and Noble today, and if I don't buy whichever book might win, then I'll have to order it through Amazon and wait a week for it to show up. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it! ;)

I think the book sounds maybe more like the movie 'The Crazies' (or '28 Days Later') rather then zombies. I hadn't noticed that until I read the description again. But I am surprised it hasn't gotten any votes.

Speaking of zombies, there's a new zombie comedy coming out soon called 'Warm Bodies'. It looks really good - they have the trailer on Youtube and before Breaking Dawn part 2.

" Speaking of zombies, there's a new zombie comedy coming out soon called 'Warm Bodies'. It looks really good - they have the trailer on Youtube and before Breaking Dawn part 2."

Just saw a preview for a zombie movie called "World War Z" the other day (starring Brad Pitt). It looked very good and I found it's based on a book so might have to read that one soon! All of you zombie lovers should take a look.

YES! Just saw that previews too! Is it zombies? We seriously couldnt tell from the previews. They looked like superhumans, so assumed it was like a military project that backfired or something. Make sure to keep that book title handy for our next suspense catagory! ;)

Yep, it's zombies! I had to ask Jeff because I couldn't tell either. Glad it wasn't just me!

Ok, I just read through some reviews for "77 Shadow St". Out of 440 reviews, only 126 of them were 4/5 star ratings, 152 people gave it 1 star. Is that even possible for a Koontz book??? I have to say, I'm a bit leery now considering it's a 720 page book.
default_ohnoes.jpg

The reason I did not vote for 1 is......

(don don don)

Truthfully, I'm kinda zombied out! LOL! Watch comericials, listen to the radio, movies, tv shows, Ahhh yep they are every where! LOL! I know I know and I'm sorry to you diehard zombie lovers but it's the truth for me!!!!! I'll take a slasher or a ghost over a zombie right now!!!
default_whistling.gif

I'm tired of zombies and I'm proud of it!
default_new_rofl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realize at first, but that Becoming book is the first of a series, which I think has 2 other books so far.

I hope if we pick the Kootz one, it will be good. I have really liked some of his books, and others I've not liked at all... Shoot.

The third one sounds good, but it's not on audio, so I would sit that one out more likely than not.

World War Z is a book! I've been wanting to read it but haven't yet and didn't realize it was now a movie. Neat!

Went to Walmart today to buy paper products and couldn't resist going to the book isle to look for Ten, just in case its the one picked, they didn't have it but, Jill, they did have the Dean Kootz one on CD.

Latest posts

Back