Bonny update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Her temp this am is 98.8. She let me close this am but she was off and distant once she got in the pasture.

Hi Bonny, Just a quick note to say horses dont drop temp like dogs do.... If you are checking her temp daily, you are just agrivating her. It wont give you any info. Best Temp check is to feel udder for heat a nd hardness.

Lyn

Hi lyn, I was told to check her temp as she would drop. Rumor has it it will drop a degree 24 hours before foaling,I was checking Sandy, hers didnt drop but the night she foaled her temp did go up, from her norm of 100.5 to 102.8. I was actually surprised it was so high, started worrying about infection, but then read that their temp will rise when in labor.

Not sure about the drop but the rise is an indicator. Their temp is always a degree less during the day than at night for some reason.

As for the udder, Sandy also never did get that full hard udder I was waiting for, I realize most do, and sure hope Bonny does!

BTW how are your puppies?

Also a quick question, could it be possible that her attitude change is because she has taken over lead mare in the herd? She sure is bossing Sandy around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyones temp is the lowest in the AM than PM even people when they are ill. If it works for you then go ahead and check. Just many many years experience breeding horses and dogs ....... sorry to butt in.

Lyn

Lyn, didnt mean anything by it just passing on what I read and heard. Not trying to seem ungrateful for advice.

default_wink.png

Latest update...

Bonny is at about 317 days now. Still no udder development. I am wondering how unusual or usual this is for maidens... You would think by now she would at least have something.

12-209am001.jpg

12-209am003.jpg

12-209am005.jpg

12-209am006.jpg

12-209am009.jpg

Has she been confirmed in foal?

My mares that are due in April and May are really showing more than Bonny and my maiden that is due in February is H-U-G-E!!!

Hi Jill.

Yea she is confirmed. She has had several US and blood work.

She is also 40 inches tall bred to a 32 34 stally.

Just getting a bit worried as we only have up to 4 weeks to go...

I know there is still time I guess I am just surprised that there is nothing at all.
default_unsure.png

My mare who foaled this past May did not bag up until the day she foaled - also didn't look like she was in foal although she had been ultrasounded. She carried totally different with Dream. Her prior two foals she did bag up ahead - Bonny is going to play by her own rules, for sure!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Barbie

Thanks Barbie, did she look like Bonny? As far as the udder? It was that small?

You may want to get some Domperidone / Equidone from your vet "just in case". It will bring a mare's milk in quickly. We needed it last year and it has a long expiration date so we keep it in our foal kit. Good luck!

Thank you. Is it something I would give at birth or before?

With the vet's instructions, I'd think after birth only if there is no milk (and you'd need the vet to help in that case as there'd be no colostrum either). On our mares, we'd handbred so I knew the due dates, but the vet felt there should be more of a bag and we used it a day prior to when one foaled, and a couple days before the other (though I wonder if it actually caused her to leak her colostrum -- that foal needed plasma transfusions). The Domperidone / Equidone works quickly to stimulate the milk so that you don't end up having to do a lot of bottle feeding.

Hey there Holly,

How's that Bonny doing today? any updated pics?

Editted to add-- OOPS, didn't look closely at the date on the last pic post!!! DUH
default_oops.gif

She looks good, maybe a Christmas foal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a gelding that was a 372 day colt. He was fine and his mother was fine. The mares dont read books but I would bet money that Bonny has more than 4 weeks to go...... Wish I could say different. If you had not had ALL that work done I would also question if she was in foal. I have a mare that is 38 and she is due in March and HUGE also.

Lyn

OMGosh !!!!! Bonny started her Udder this am!!
default_laugh.png
default_smile.png
I am so excited! I know we could still have up to 4 weeks but I am just so happy to see this small start!

12-218pm032.jpg

12-218pm036.jpg

YAHOOOO!!!! She has udder development FINALLY!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
Maybe a Christmas present for you????
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back