Bone spur of the DIP joint.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaytori220

Reaction score
My gelding came up lame so i called the vet to do a lameness exam on him. Xrays showed arthritis of both knees and fetlock joints. Right was worse then the left. And a bone spur right in the DIP joint or on the top of the coffin joint. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm thinking of Adequan injections but not ready to make the financial jump yet.

I'm all about Adequan. That stuff works. And the vet has to do the injecting.

Usually you get the shot once a week for 4 weeks.

Then the next round is twice a month

Final round is once a month.

You should have a huge improvement. I wouldn't think twice about it and go for it. Worked miracles for me.

About the bone spur.......i'm wondering about something more surgical maybe?

Vet said owners do the shots. And it's a shot every 4 days for 28 days then once a month thereafter. She asked me of I was comfortable doing them because the owners do them. I know alot of other people who use the adequan and they do it themselves.

No she didnt. I don't think it was very big. But it was there. She seemed mainly concerned with the arthritis and did say the adequan will help.

Adequan can be given IM--we have used it once, following an injury--and had amazing results from it. I also recommended it To someone else whose horse suffered a serious joint injury and she was extremely pleased with the results.

I know people who use it for managing arthritis and it does work for them, but I have not used it myself for that purpose. I think in some cases the vet injects it right into the joint for arthritis issues (so I have been told)--in other cases the owner gives it IM.

Adequan does work when given IM!

I would expect limited success with the bone spur--just the nature of the problem, depending how big the spur is, you may see improvement but perhaps not complete soundness,

I would expect limited success with the bone spur--just the nature of the problem, depending how big the spur is, you may see improvement but perhaps not complete soundness,
That's what I'm afraid of. He is totally fine walking under cart. But if I asked him to trot that's when he shows the lameness. I'm afraid now that he would be walking and lite driving sound only. I have made my farrier aware of the situation now and he is coming Monday to trim him. He has a few horses with similar conditions as mine. So hopefully we can make him more comfortable at least. Maybe trimming him so he breaks over quicker.

Latest posts

Back