perforated fetlock joint/dislocated fetlock

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orin

Reaction score
On Friday evening Ricardo jumped his stable door and tried to jump the yard gate but got stuck and was found hanging by his fetlock. We thought his leg was broken and called the vet-who came out to us on her night off!.

No breaks found on xray but we found he had perforated his fetlock joint so off for referral to Liphook Equine Vets for surgery to flush out the joint.

Arrived at Liphook and he has had his left hind stapled, a very swollen black eye as well as other cuts and grazes etc.

Liphook flushed out the fetlock joint but as he has the smallest joints they have ever seen they felt it was too risky trying to attempt to use the cameras in the joint as there was a good chance they could damage the joint as the camera was too big.

Joint flushed and lots of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and a nice big bandage. He was very sore/lame which is to be expected but they were concerned as he is painful on the opposite side to the leg of the wound. They left him to rest and for swelling to go down and they x-rayed and ultrasounded him today which revealed- He has damaged the lateral suspensory branch, taken a big chunk out of the cannon bone and damaged the collateral ligament and tearing it off of the joint and dislocated the fetlock. They would usually cast the leg but due to him being very small there are lots of risks one of which is the cast could cause it to heal too well and as a result risk him from losing a degree of movement in the fetlock so it has been decide to use a very sturdy dressing instead with the vet replacing and lots of box rest ahead of us. Time will tell how well he responds.

A long road ahead of us and he is coming home on Saturday but lots of good family and friends to help us along the way. Very lucky to still have my princess with us!

Has anyone got any experience of anything like this?

wow I havent had an experience like this not even with a big horse in that manner. I hope everything works out for the best, it sounds very tragic
default_sad.png

So sorry this has happened, but he's had the best treatment in the best place! And I'm a believer in the fact that time is a great healer.

Sending him prayers for a steady recovery, plus ((((HUGS)))) for you. Good luck and please keep us posted.
default_yes.gif

We had a neighbor 30 + years ago that lost a beautiful AQHA colt to a dislocated front fetlock. A freak accident to the finest horse he had.

Sending positive thoughts for a thourogh healing for your little horse.

Oh dear, how traumatic! Sounds like he's getting good care, so keep on top of it and good luck! Keep us posted.

Oh my goodness! What a terrible thing to have happen! Poor boy! Sounds like he has tons of great care and good vets! Please do let us know how he's doing. I'm sending healing prayers!

Thankyou for all your nice comments.

We was supposed to collect him but the vets phoned and said he had deterioated overnight. They did some tests and he has infection in the joint/joint tissue. They tourniqet the leg and injected aggressive anti-biotics directly into the blood vessells in the joint. They phoned today to say a slight improvement overnight so they have repeated the anti-biotics and will let me know hoe he is tomorrow. If they are not happy with his progress tomorrow they will have to operate.

I'm SO sorry! I will keep praying for him!
default_pray.gif
He's very lucky to have you. {{{{Hugs}}}}

So sorry to hear that he had a relapse, but sounds like they were on top of things quickly!

Praying he won't need the surgery, but sounds like they have things well in hand to get him through this.

default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Still saying prayers for your little man, really hoping that the anti-b's are successful.

They have repeated the anti-biotics 4/5times and have been told we can collect him to bring him home tomorrow afternoon. :) he has a long road of box rest etc ahead of him but hopefully will be fine. Just have to hope he will go sound at the end of it all.

Thankyou for everyones comments I will keep you all updated.

I'm glad he's coming home! Thank you for the update! I've been so worried about him

Ill let everyone know how he is when I collect him tomorrow. It is my favourite spotted boy :-(

I'm so sorry you guys have gone through this. We do our very best to protect them and they still manage to hurt themselves!

{{{{ hugs and prayers }}}}

Latest posts

Back