I have to share this...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

circlesinthesand

Reaction score
My new little girl is a bit of a firecracker! I have a dry lot pen, not very big, maybe the size of a 60ft round pen that's been 'squared' that is between my barn yard and my horse's pasture. It's sorta the holding pen, the intro pen, the feed the weaker horse in winter pen. A catch all that nobody really stays in but it gets used often enough that there isn't any grass. So I've been turning Daisy loose in this pen and my 2 geldings 'big horses' and donkey come up and chat.

The first day I let her loose she was full of fire from being cooped up for a few days (just because I don't immediately turn them out until I know I can catch 'em!) and she scared the donkey with her leaping, kicking, bucking, playing like crazy!! Donkeys are not known for 'spooking' lol and Loretta hasn't been much different as far as I could tell. But as poor Loretta trotted up to meet her, Daisy squealed, jumped up in the air twisted and threw her back legs and tail in this big sweeping arch that made her look 10 times the size she actually is, Loretta took one look at that and just jumped about as high as she can for a tiny donkey and hightailed it out of there.

Then last night it rained (finally! Thankfully!) so Daisy couldn't go out as it gets slick in that pen when it rains.

Well, Daisy decided differently. My barn has a breezy gate at the back end of the aisle that opens out onto a huge 'porch' of sorts that the horses in the main pasture can come into for shelter. I don't know if anyone is familiar with breezy gates, they don't make them anymore, but they're a really nice horse safe gate. The breezy gate allows us to go through without having to move horses out of the shelter as would happen when we open the gate. The unfortunate thing about it is that the mini's can go right under it!! I had fed Daisy and stepped away to put the bucket up before going back into the stall to love up on her like I've been doing so that she can get over her nervousness (she's a little leery at times) and apparently I didn't close the door enough, or she knows how to slide it? dunno...the next thing I knew she was trotting across the field and meeting the first of the big horses (my dad's and sister's horses are in that back pasture.) She first met up with Tuffy, who is a doll and they just sniffed and then I called Tuff to the barn, stuck him in a stall, April was next, she also values feed more than a new horse in the pasture, so she came in easily...then Mira (who loves my neighbor's mini) and Sanman started trotting behind her, but it looked more like playing than trying to overwhelm Daisy. I grabbed a feed bucket and a halter and headed out there for crowd control and do what I could to catch her. Then Daisy saw the rest of the horses and hightailed it! For an overweight foundered pony, with supposedly joint problems (that I haven't seen indications of yet) she sure can move!

The best version of WEEEEEEE I'm FREEEEEEEEEEEEE I've ever seen! At this point I'm left in the dust and I got a little worried as she's never been out there before, it's a big huge pasture but eventually you do hit a fence! But thankfully that never became a problem. I was also a bit worried about Gracie. She's a big draft mare and she's been known to be a bit of a pill at times. She's big, strong and knows it so she's not scared of much. But when Daisy got to Gracie she did her same swirly tail movement that scared Loretta so bad, and Gracie nearly lost her mind! If you've never seen a draft mare drop down like a cutting horse and scoot sideways to avoid a mini, I highly recommend it!! At this point I've got tears of laughter because apparently Daisy can take care of herself! The rest of the other older horses came up sniffed her, there was a bit of squealing and a bit of fun running around but eventually they all funneled into the barn and I caught Daisy without a problem, walked her a bit to cool her out and all is well again.

Moral of the story...be careful of sneaky ponies but if they do get out be glad it was in a pasture of nice sane horses or at least ones the mini can scare!

****no pics as obviously this was an unplanned introduction!!!!!****

Sounds like an adventure! I bet it was a sight to see such a big horse afraid of a mini haha. Though I can't say I'm totally surprised because for some reason many big horses seem to be leery of the little ones... like they don't understand what the minis are
default_laugh.png

LOL, I think Gracie thought she was a new goat, then suddenly that tail went flying, lol!! She really knows how to work it, we almost called her Barbie instead of Daisy, lol.

LOL got a visual on all that, hahahahaha

Love it......it's always sooooo much funnier when it's someone else's horses that are having the escapade!

My experiences with escapee's has usually happened when I'm in a rush to be somewhere else so it isn't

as amusing as your story.

Hahahaha, that is so funny. But i have to agree with Equuisize that when its happened to me I'm on a time limit and I'm not impressed lol

I have to admit, if this had been one of my big horses I'd have probably not found it nearly as amusing, especially since all but a few have been raised here and know better!! But it was really my fault. I probably just didn't shut the door well enough. Most of my guys don't even like to leave the stall. The stall is the source of all good things. Feed, hay, nice long belly rubs, cool fans, soft places to lay down. My horses all tend to LOVE being in a stall, even the mini boys will only wander out then turn around and go back in their stall to find more good stuff. So I'm not quite used to keeping the doors shut.

Plus this escape really wasn't all that bad, at least she was contained on our property. I knew she was relatively safe, granted the others didn't pound on her. None of them are really mean, We kept only the best of the best in personality when we stopped breeding. We didn't want to keep anything we couldn't enjoy.

I once had a late night knock on my door from a sheriff's officer telling me that 9 of our horses were spotted in a yard a mile down the road. THAT kept me up until 4 am rounding up them all up. It is NOT my fondest memory. But I find it hard to get really mad at the little ones, lol. Even if they're being bad, they're still funny to me. I'm definitely going to be on my toes with her from now on. Hopefully she'll come to see the stall as a favorite place to be soon
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back