Blood in Urine?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN Belle

Reaction score
While picking out my donkey's stall the other day, I noticed his pee spots had some red in them, but passed it off as wet shavings (they aren't cedar, but there is some red oak). I've noticed a little more each day now and am getting concerned if it is bloody urine or not. He is eating fine, pooping fine, and his overall personality and attitude hasn't changed. I have begun feeding a feed thru fly control called "Bug Check" from the Natural Vet a few weeks back and have to dust it with crushed horse peppermint treats, or he won't eat it. I am kinda thinking it be from that red dye, but my horse hasn't shown this problem and he gets both as well. Since he doesn't have any other symptoms, I don't feel like it's an emergency, but just wondering about it. He is out in the pasture all day that is dry and kinda weedy now since we haven't had rain in several weeks, but I can't think of any thing he ate that would hurt him internally.

Any ideas?
default_ohnoes.jpg
default_ohnoes.jpg

You could always catch a urine sample to see if there blood in it. I would contact your vet if you really believe that he is urinating blood as you will need to find out where in the urinary tract the blood is coming from and why. But my first idea would to actually catch a sample as it could be your bedding.

Is there any exposed clay in your donkeys stall???

When my minis pee on the dirt in the paddock, it looks red, including in the winter, also, Ive noticed sometimes when they go in the maure, it can sometimes look red. My mare had a problem like this during the winter and I was so scared, and she was acting perfectly normal, eating drinkin, playing, pooping, and even peeing normal yellow urine, so just moniter it some more

Best of luck, and remeber, if your still worried, you can always call a vet, thats why we have them.

-Dan

horse urine has a chemical in it that reacts with light and turns it a red color. most people in snowy climates have experienced this. if you really think it has blood i'd suggest doing a catch sample and go from there.

Latest posts

Back