blankets ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suz

Reaction score
Time to order a winter blankee for my guy. Which type is everybody's favorite and why and where do you get them?

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Closed front with a belly band, I was lucky enough to get mine from people who were getting out of minis, star lake has some and I think schienders. Kathy

I really prefer surpreme blankets. They are pricy, but last Forever, and are very durable, and fit better then most do. Plus they come in all sorts of colors and trim so the whole barn can match! (and yes, mine match.
rolleyes.gif
, halters too!
rolleyes.gif
wacko.gif
rolleyes.gif
)

I get mine from Ozark Mountain. They are Triple L brand. They are made with Thinsulate insulation. Keeps them warm and dry. Light weight, fit good and launder very nice. I have tried others and like these the best. Only kind I will buy any more.

I bought some Kensington ones for turnout in icy snow ick days. Anywhere they sewed on the velcro the blankets leaked. Velcro is a major pain so I had it all removed and had regular belly straps and front hooks put on just like on a big horse blanket. My horses still get wet on one side but most of their bodies stay dry:) My next purchase will be a Shires mini turnout since I have very good luck with Shires. I own a tack shop/online store so I buy direct.

Oh dear, what a fashion question!
biggrin.gif
I have three blankets for our minis. I made them each a fleece, and purchased a thinsulate blanket with velcro from Ozark Mountains, and a water proof thin sun type blanket. Some days, I put on the fleece, if it's cold and dry, and if it's going to drizzle, I layer the blankets and put on the thing sun type blanket (that works as a fly sheet too). Or, if it's really really cold, then I put on the fleece and then thinsulate blanket on top. Layering gives me more options, and our minis NEVER get wet with all those layers. Also, putting the heavier blankets on top of the fleece allows me to use the fleeces underneath that I made myself with velcro. I like the options.

I also go and put my hand under their blankets a few hours after they've had them on, to see if they are warm enough or too warm or whatever. Some days, we just take off the outer blanket and leave on the fleece if it's a really really cold day.

A few weeks ago, it got down to 37.. here in Ocala, that's frozen tundra to our horses, so we took off the thinsulate in the day, and just left the fleece on. We have a list of guidelines and what the weather and temp are. Having a written out list, really really helps keep us organized.

God Bless,

Lynn W

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing gets blanketed- that is what they have the big thick, waterproof coats for!!!
smile.gif
Rabbit is now 26 years old and has never had a winter blanket on. One year three years ago I decided he should have one as he is a) getting old and b) had been clipped late for a big show. Once the coat was grown back in he trashed it!!!

I bought all my blankets/sheets from Star Lake Tack. Both my guys have a sheet for keeping them clean for showing, a light blanket, and a thick winter-time (aka snow) blanket. Normally I only blanket when they show signs of being cold (shaking), or when its realy windy/raining/snowy.

Erin

I don't normally blanket but if I have to buy one I always get them from Nancy Flicek - 320-745-2698. She made all her patterns using Jodi French's and the Lorraine's Lil Ones minis.
smile.gif
I know she makes blankets for one of the mini tack places but I'm not sure which one.
biggrin.gif
Great blankets, all velcro closures, excellent fit, great service, excellent prices!

I don't blanket mine in the winter when they are out just being horses, but in the early spring when I have clipped bodies and left hair on head, ears and legs I do blanket and love the triple L from Ozark Mountain. They seem to hold up better under the laundering and drying that comes with getting show horses clean, sooo the blankets get washed alot too. There are some in at www.sstack.com that I bought that are very reasonably priced that are very heavy and nice if you will not be doing alot of laundering and need something with a better price.

I don't blanket mine in the winter when they are out just being horses, but in the early spring when I have clipped bodies and left hair on head, ears and legs I do blanket and love the triple L from Ozark Mountain. They seem to hold up better under the laundering and drying that comes with getting show horses clean, sooo the blankets get washed alot too. There are some in at www.sstack.com that I bought that are very reasonably priced that are very heavy and nice if you will not be doing alot of laundering and need something with a better price.

Latest posts

Back