Blackhawk, my bad boy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice. I am glad to know I'm not the only one with a wild child and to know yours has gotten past this gives me hope. I would have thought yearlings would have been easier. LOL.

We have till March to work out our problems. I plan to use a lot of the advice that I have gotten from this thread. I believe we can get past this.

Thanks again.

Rhonda

Oh no! Hes being bad! Sorry Rhonda I cant help you there in showing, but he is a cute boy, I still remember when we were there and Tristan just opened up his pen door and went running in there after him. I hope that you can fix him before next year. Oh! By the way Tristan and Buck got 1st in lead in barrels. Im thinking about getting either a bigger mini or a small pony for the kids to ride and play with. Buck just gets to nervous when they are around his feet. LMK if you need anything or need any help, Im only a email or call away.

Thanks Jj, Glad to hear Buck is doing well. Let me know when you get ready for a mini.

I don't know what I"m going to do with my crazy boy. I put a light blanket and a sheet on him last night because it got down in the mid 30's last night. I went to feed him this morning before work and he is standing in his stall with nothing on. I don't know how or when but both blankets were off.

he is always into something or doing something. His favorite thing when he is out playing is to paw one of those rubber feed buckets and then flip over into it. Then he gets up and does it again. Oh and lets talk about swimming. I'm standing on the bank about ready to go in after him and he is swimming his butt off with nothing but his nose up out of the water. Then he'll get close to the bank, paws, and goes right back in for some more. He is crazy!
default_new_shocked.gif

I love colts!
default_wub.png

I just pictured him playing with one of those big balls! He would have a BLAST! There are balls made just for horses that are big. They are not jolly balls but big ones that even big horses play with. A few people here have them. If I can find the link I'll post it!

I bet he would love that. He picks on any thing he can, horses,dogs, and chickens. You should see him chase chickens. I wish to God I had a video camera with me the day he went swimming. That was a sight.

He actually sounds like he has a show attitude, you just have to channel it in the right direction.
default_smile.png
As rabbit said, the ones who hate showing have their ears pinned the whole time and just look flat unhappy about the whole business. Had one of those. Colts are everywhere at once lol, and do have a short attention span. Your homework as someone mentioned is to tie him at home and teach him patience, get him in the arena before classes/during lunch break, anytime you can. And I like the longe line work idea, sounds very effective.

I showed a yearling filly this year who started out with the walking on top of me thing - she's always been the wild one, despite the same handling & exposure as my other yearlings. First show this summer I couldn't touch her legs (and no, I didn't do enough homework prior to showing her...). By Sept. she was much braver and actually stood long enough to take a top five at Nationals.
default_smile.png
In her case it took firmness and reassurance that nothing was going to eat her, but colts tend to be silly and bolder. Usually not so much fear as just let me go, I want to see everything NOW.
default_smile.png

Jan

I'm so glad I posted for advice. It has given me hope. LOL.

Oh Flaxenacres your box is full.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back