Bizarre condition in my Modern yearling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our feed store said that they may not have beet pulp shreds due to farmers planting more corn and soybeans...there was enough to go to the feed companies that mix beet pulp in their feeds, so they say. Don't know if anyone else has heard that...I am hoping it is not true. I have a different supplier for the grain I use so I will be checking with him.
Last report I read the Red River Valley in Minnesota and North Dakota was expecting a beet crop on par with last years crop.

There's been some talk on another board about a beet pulp shortage. Some people there said that they've been told there's none available until April, some have been told there was a bad crop so supplies are short. Some feed companies have enough to put into their prepared feeds but none to sell. Some say the shreds are still available, pellets are not. Some people said it's a temporary shortage, they go through this every year at this time. Others have been given the following reasons:

Dog food manufacturers are buying up beet pulp for dog food filler

Chinese beet pulp is toxic.

Cattle farmers are buying beet pulp because they can't get corn - blight and all the corn is going for ethenol.

Also heard that some cattle farmers are using it instead of hay as there is a hay shortage in the midwest.

Some say it depends on the supplier. Blue Seal is apparently one that isn't selling plain BP, because all of theirs is going into their prepared feeds & dog food. Other suppliers haven't had a shortage problem & don't expect to.

So, I'd say to check around for different suppliers and probably you will find some.

That's great to hear that she's eating the wet feed easier & faster! :aktion033:

Do you have access to an equine chiropractor? I'm curious to see if her jaw is out of alignment or even her atlas....? If she's done something to herself (and Lord only knows what they do playing or laying down or whatever....). If she's out of alignment...it can cause numbness because a nerve could be pinched.

I've seen Gary Fleur, Equine Chiro out of KY....do amazing work with a forum members mare...amazing to the point the mare went from hardly walking, loosing weight, not eating well at all....to good weight...running in the field with all 4 feet off the ground, mane/tail flowing in the wind.

Just a thought....prayers for your girl!

Connie

My veterinarian is also an equine chiropractor - I am waiting to hear what she found out from Cornell and maybe we can go that route - I will ask her.

Went to my usual feed store and he confirmed what the other feed store said regarding a beet pulp shortage - he personally felt someone was creating a demand to make prices go up....and he was going to try to buy all that he could.

He also suggested a textured feed with beet pulp that he is going to get a sample of to see if Neffie can eat it.

It is cold here today and she was out bucking, plunging and playing so I know she feels good.

Denise

Silversong Farm

Denise, I'd call your State Vet and run this by him. He may know of something in your State that brought this on.

Then I would call the State Vet of the State where you bought her and ask the same thing.

Also, do check into Vesticular Stomatitis. It effects the tongue.

The I would get that jaw X rayed if all else fails. There has got to be a logical explaination and a fix.

((((((( )))))))

Denise, I'd call your State Vet and run this by him. He may know of something in your State that brought this on.

Then I would call the State Vet of the State where you bought her and ask the same thing.

Also, do check into Vesticular Stomatitis. It effects the tongue.

The I would get that jaw X rayed if all else fails. There has got to be a logical explaination and a fix.

((((((( )))))))

Neffie was born at our farm - her dam ate normally. Like a good hockey fan, her dam waited to have her right after a Sabres game...minutes after the game ended, Neffie popped into the world! :bgrin (I love hockey!!!!)

Our veterinarian went through all the diseases Neffie could have and is leaning toward trauma of some kind as she is healthy, otherwise.

I will check with our state veterinarian, too - that is a good suggestion.

She has feeling in her lips - I put a smear of her pellet slurry on her upper lip and she was wiggling it around to try to get it to her mouth...it is just her tongue that has the problem.

Denise

Silversong Farm

Latest posts

Back