Bitten Off Mane...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shalakominiatureshowhorses

Reaction score
I fed them this afternoon, finding that 2-3 inches of Jazzys mane was bitten off, chopped off, rubbed off, i dont know! Its missing in the middle of his mane, gone all the way to the neck.

Its a clean cut, but not like a scissor cut so no one cut it.

Just very upset. I have wanted his mane to grow longer than it is now (i have another topic about that) and now i have to worry about either shaving the entire mane off, leaving the mane on the withers or see how it grows out this winter.

Any suggestions, PLEASE! Also, do they make mane extensions for minis? I know they make tail extensions for horses, but might be a good idea for a show i MIGHT be going to in April?

Thanks in advance, Bailey

Just let it grow back in. Most judges will kind of look over missing mane.

thats what i hoped, thank you! is there anything to promote mane growth? i heard mane and tail works, obviously LOL. Would you reccomend this product for my situation?

A supplement high in biotin will help his mane grow back. Our new horse (a riding horse) had his mane pulled super short because he was shown. I love a nice long mane, so I want to grow it back out. I put him on nu-hoof maximizer along with flax seed to promote hair growth. Most coat supplements only contain a tiny tiny amount of biotin, the nu-hoof maximizer is 30mg of biotin per dose.

Do you know what happened to cause it?

We have goats, who are not in with our horses, but a long time ago, one of our horses stood at the fence and let them "chop" off her mane and it looks like what you are describing... In case that could be what happened with your horse, too.

Bailey, I have kown other people with goats and the goats chewed the tail off the horse. he probably rubbed it under the fence somewhere,or possibly the goat dit it. Anyway try MTG, you can get it at TSC or most feed stores. It smells bad but really works.Do not wrap his neck while using MTG or you can blister his neck,( I know that happened to someone)I showed a gelding at World one year with a recently rubbed out mane and we won our futurity class ,so don't worry about it.

Thank you! Maybe a one of our goats did it, i really dont know. The hair is probably on the ground or on the fence somewhere. I will try to find it this afternoon!

Thank you! Maybe a one of our goats did it, i really dont know. The hair is probably on the ground or on the fence somewhere. I will try to find it this afternoon!
I do know from personal experience where my friend's mini gelding rubbed off his entire mane on a rock. He does it every summer when it gets hot, although we aren't sure exactly why. But he seems happier with no mane. I doubt your horse has this same "preference", but definitely something you could look into. :)

My boy chopped his mane off sticking his head through my pipe gate and stealing grass. The rubbing back and forth shortened a 4 inch section right in the middle. I couldn't figure it out for the longest time..it looks very odd. It is about 1/2 Inch short and the rest of his mane is long. I thought the goats were doing it until i saw him with his head through the gate and it matched up with the section of hair missing..

Last edited by a moderator:
My boy chopped his mane off sticking his head through my pipe gate and stealing grass. The rubbing back and forth shortened a 4 inch section right in the middle. I couldn't figure it out for the longest time..it looks very odd. It is about 1/2 Inch short and the rest of his mane is long. I thought the goats were doing it until i saw him with his head through the gate and it matched up with the section of hair missing..
Thats interesting. Jazz does that with his stall gate, but it hasnt ever rubbed his mane off? Hmmm...we are getting new gates anyway so if that was the cause it will be replaced soon.
SMW, the place where i used to ride when i was little had a horse that did the same, but i dont think Jazzy has this problem. If he did im sure with the Texas heat in the summer it would be all gone by now!
default_smile.png

Back