Bits for showing?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Rule

Reaction score
So Bilbo is being awfully forward when I drive him sometimes...He'll grab the snaffle, and move out, with me hauling as hard as I can to get him stopped. So today I drove in a Liverpool bit. The reins were on the top hole, right under the ring. He had a curb chain on. He did so much better, and my hands were so much quieter! Can I show him in AMHR shows with a Liverpool? I'll be driving in Country Pleasure.

Kim R.

the rule book for amhr says no liverpool bits, curb chains or curb straps allowed

Ironically in breed shows you can theoretically drive with whatever kind of twisted wire torture device you want to but curb bits are not allowed in any form.
default_wacko.png
: I've had good luck with moving Kody to a low port mullen mouth Myler, it seems to have a lot more stopping power than a regular snaffle without sacrificing sensitivity and Mylers are allowed in breed shows. There's no reason you can't drive Bilbo in a Liverpool most of the time and then switch him to a snaffle when you need to. He may develop more respect for the bit in between.

Leia

Well, Rats! Leia, I think you might be right. I may drive him in the liverpool for a week or so, and then switch back. It's a mullen mouth, so I think I have a mullen snaffle. I'll switch him back to that, and see what he does. How silly that we can't use a curb! I've seen horses with blood running out of their mouths because of the stupid bridoons that people use for Park...but I can't use a curb.

Oh, and another thing...I'm going into hunter. Can I braid him?

Kim R.

Yes, you can braid minis for hunter and jumper. It looks neat!

In a way I'm glad they won't let us use a curb bit since checks are required. It would be too easy to cause pain with that configuration and curbs require a soft hand anyway. Perhaps they are better left for outside the ring. ::shrug::

Leia

Back