BHR - He/She/It .... pics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizzmoe

Reaction score
I am a member of another forum and ran across a post that struck my curiosity. Anyways this lady had what she described as a horse that outwardly appeared as a female except the vulva was malformed. In all actuality it appears that this horse is a hermaphrodite (sp?). I have never heard of this in horses only in humans and she was nice enough to post pics so I figured I would cross post them here in case someone was interested in the peculiar things of nature.

jetta5.jpg

jetta4.jpg

jetta.jpg

Yep. Interesting. Do a google.com search and you'll see this happens in other species besides humans, including horses.

I had a Mini born with this problem- it is akin to a Freemartin in cattle, and apparently can be caused by twinning.

The foal I had was not mine- it was part of a "foal back" agreement, for which I was eternally grateful!!

She was operated on at the Royal Veterinary College but did not make it off the table.

If the mare is OK I would definitely leave well enough alone.
default_yes.gif
:

I knew it happend, just never heard of it happening or had the ability to see pics. I am interested in medical oddities in any species of animals, including us humans, and have done numerous researches on stuff just for the heck of it.

I have seen a hermaphroditic dog, a Yorkie. Was brought in by the owner to the clinic where I work becuase things looked "funny" down there. She had just bought the puppy a few days before at I think it was 7 months old. It was not an easy dog to handle (very territorial even at that age) so we set her up for surgery.

Once sedated, we could examine her closer. She had a normal shaped/size vulva, but there was something protruding. Turned out it was a penis, but it wasn't as pointy as a normal dog penis, it had a more rounded end. Then instead of ovaries, she/he had testicles that were in the area that the ovaries should of been.

It was a very interesting case. No pictures, unfortunately. And actually we never saw her again after that (the owner was from a few towns over, she had come to us on the recommendation of the breeder who was our client.)

Latest posts

Back