Best place to live if you are in the Horse Business

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't complain. I like Tennesee.

The weather is pretty decent most of the time. The hottest month is August. The coldest month is February.

We only get a few inches of snow up here in the mountains that doesn't last too long and we never flood up here.

The grass is plush and hay is $2.50 - $3.50 most years.

The people are wonderful; so friendly and kind. You never met a stranger here.

Thank you everyone for the good information.

Lots to think about, but I if I am really lucky, I have 10 to 15 years left of a productive life and everyone knows how fast 10 to 15 years will go.

Like Andy Rooney said, "life is like a roll of toilet paper the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes"

Maybe we could buy property Tennesee/Kentucky area and split our herd to have half in the south and half up here. It wouldn't be too hard to find help that could live here free, just to keep up the chores. I would leave the youngest of the herd in this area, so foaling would be in the better climate.

I know that the Southern hospitality is wonderful.

Living in our southern property for the winter months and back here in the summer, sounds like a plan.

Health care costs and a retirement income would be the factors for retaining Canadian status.

Yes Matt, my first choice would be New Zealand or Australia but I think at this stage of our life that may be too far to go.

Mininik, when I said I loved the Seattle area, it wasn't because my daughter lives there, but rather, because she lived there, and we had the opportunity to get to know the area first hand. It was a fabulous spot, but the dampness would likely "get to me". Microsoft returned them to Mississauga in Ontario, and they miss the Sammamish views as well.

Again, many thanks for the feedback
default_yes.gif

Oh Gerogine, you would be missed, unless you take me with you.
default_yes.gif

I do understand about our weather and life is short, 10 years can come and go very fast.

You find a nice spot and Glen and I will follow someday.
default_aktion033.gif
Glen says Arizona and I still say Texas.

Oh Gerogine, you would be missed, unless you take me with you.
default_yes.gif

I do understand about our weather and life is short, 10 years can come and go very fast.

You find a nice spot and Glen and I will follow someday.
default_aktion033.gif
Glen says Arizona and I still say Texas.
Sounds like a plan. I would really be racking up the long distance charges if you and Glen didn't follow, since I depend on your expertise - both with horses and my website
default_yes.gif

You are the best Mary
default_aktion033.gif

Larry and I thought about moving out of the Northwest (Oregon)......once.......and traveled all over together looking at each state. We seriously considered the Texas hill country, but we kept coming back to Oregon and questioning why we were looking!

We ended up about 30 miles from where we used to live.........

MA

I know we travelled thru Oregon when we drove to visit our daughter when she lived in Samammish, Wa. and it's beautiful.

I liked Montana too, but I still think it gets pretty cold there.

I probably will wonder why we left our place here as well.

Thanks again everyone for your comments. It's been very helpful and I am seriously thinking of looking into the "part time" idea.

Six months Canada and 6 months, Tennesee or Kentucky.

goodness....well you can cut out Minnesota and North Dakota for sure! I live in North Dakota during the summer with the horses and it's always HOTTTTT! Really high humidity and in the 80's and 90's. Every once in a while in the 100's. There's ALOT of cattle around here so it's hard to find good horse hay sometimes. Then it's usually only in big round bales (though it's not too expensive!). I live in central Minnesota for the rest of the year for school. We just got 7.5" of snow last Saturday and then another 3" on Tuesday and another 1.5" on Wednesday. My 95' chevy lumina had a fun time with that....so THAT'S why everyone around here has trucks?!? :DOH! LOL. There's a few shows for both registries. mostly AMHR. And most of the shows require a 5 hour+ drive. Well there's really nothing for shows in North Dakota but you'll find some in Minnesota and south dakota. I think once I'm done with college I'll move to Colorado. It's gorgeous and I'll still have my snow but without such severely cold winters (right now it's -13 degrees without wind chill). Oh and even with all that snow we got....still no school cancellations. Uggghhh....

I want your farm. My hubby won't move yet until our parents pass though. I really want to get out of Massachusetts, but don't want to move out west or too far south. New Jersey would be perfect.

Christy

NJ is great for Minis

we are in southern NJ

AMHR shows Pinto shows

not very close amha shows that I know of

4-h in our area have Miniature clubs and shows

we are just leaving because we are retiring and

can only do it without our mortgage

its not as hot as the south or as cold as the north here we do get snow

our farm is for sale and is all set up for minis

22 acres with 3 barns and 3 BR-2BA rancher (10 yrs old) with wrap around porch

10 acres in pasture and the rest in hay fields

e mail if you want more info

I guess nobody would want to move up into Northern Ontario. Winters are long and cold. Property is probably cheaper here. We have to travel to Southern Ontario to show and sell our horses. Hay is cheaper here. We have lots of lakes and rivers here. A great place for the outdoorsman.

KenBen

We have a 9 acre farm. I am looking for a 20 -30 acre farm in nj. I just emailed you for info
default_biggrin.png

My husband said if we get bigger farm I can get more mi nis
default_aktion033.gif
SO I am shopping!!!!

NJ is great for Minis

we are in southern NJ

AMHR shows Pinto shows

not very close amha shows that I know of

4-h in our area have Miniature clubs and shows

we are just leaving because we are retiring and

can only do it without our mortgage

its not as hot as the south or as cold as the north here we do get snow

our farm is for sale and is all set up for minis

22 acres with 3 barns and 3 BR-2BA rancher (10 yrs old) with wrap around porch

10 acres in pasture and the rest in hay fields

e mail if you want more info

OK i want to know where the cheap realestate is in OK! lol a friend in Ok that i talk to at nationals said you can find $1K per acre land all over but I have yet to find that online..unless it's a HUGE acerage way more than i can afford..LOL i want 5-10 acres...anyone know of any in the 1K-2K range? doens't have to be developed.
Hey Boinky, the place accross the street from us may be up for sale soon....5 acres ..... it's in probate right now, 4 bed, 3 bath rock house on 5 acres. 6 stall (10x10) horse barn. Most desirable school system in OkC. Last sold for $150-200 range. that was about 4 years ago. Home is quite special but hasn't been cared for in last 4 years and will need some 'fixing'. Lovely wooded property with nice pasture. Will need new fencing on some sides.

Charlotte

How about north Florida or central Florida? Its a great climate there! But be warned if you move south be prepared to re learn everything you ever knew about horses! It sure is differant raising them in the south than the north! I am still learning about how to care for mine in the north! LOL But at least i can remember the south stuff and can pass it along!
default_yes.gif

Thanks friend.

Everyone around here is glad you moved to the "frozen north". It's great having you here
default_aktion033.gif

I really think a property in Kentucky or Tennesee would be something we could look at doing on a half/half basis, if we found the right people to "caretake" both places in our absence.

I really wish a bunch of you ADS driving folks would come on down to SE Texas. We have the facilities and so much potential for VSE's but I just can't seem to drum up the interest enough to get folks to try it.

default_smile.png

I have lived in Texas most of my life, with a couple of short intervals - Texas and Oklahoma are really horse country. The area from Dallas/Ft Worth north to around Oklahoma City is just lined with big horse farms, name trainers in all breeds & disciplines, and all the vets, hay growers, tack stores etc to supply them. I live near Austin, which is really the greatest spot in Texas
default_smile.png
for many reasons.

If I were to move though, I'd consider Missouri. I lived there for a couple of years in college and it was the first time I'd been in a climate that had four actual seasons LOL. Beautiful country, nice weather much of the time - winters were cold for me, but that was from a Dallas perspective. MO into NW Arkansas is very pretty country.

Jan

My vote is also for Kentucky, that's why we are moving there ;) Hopefully within the next couple years... Will be a HUGE ordeal getting all our critters there from Az, though!

Jessi

One and only great state of Texas the Miniature Horse Capital
default_yes.gif

We sell a ranch ca 70 miles east of Dallas 47 acres with cute 3/2 house horse ready to move in.

No, no we stay in TX the rest of our lifes

Anita

Latest posts

Back