Best Hoods

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne

Reaction score
I've gotten so I don't use hoods on my show horses any more.

Seems I have not found one that doesn't "ride up" and cause trouble. They get horses scared when they can't see as the hood rides up (I've found that with mine and rescued a couple of others in a show barn when the owners weren't present), or simply irritate the eyes.

I have a horse I want to show with face white and wish I could find one that stayed in place!

Which one do you use or don't you bother any more.

Thanks for suggestions

Anne

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also very interested in hearing responses on this. Up till now we haven't had a problem with the supreme equine design ones & the ones double diamond carries. I put one on a tiny 26" mini we have & his moves around & gets in his eyes, so I had to take it off. Frustrating that it works on everyone else we have.
default_gaah.gif

I had bought a couple of used hoods and when they rolled up into my mares eyes I swore I would never use a hood again. I found a couple of hoods that are brand new and still in the package. I have not tried them but I bought larges. They are made by "Tough 1" and are called "Miniature Mane Stay". They are made of spandex and are a bit different from the other hoods I had. First they have larger eye and ear holes. There is a light 1" fleece lining around the nose and velcro to fit the hood around the nose area so hopefully the hood won't creep up into the eye. The hood then fastens around the girth so it will not ride up. It covers the shoulder and just past the wither. I hope these hoods work for my monsters. I have so much to clean up every morning when I get back to the barn at the show. green poop in a light cream mane is so much fun. I love daily baths.

The only foolproof hoods i ever used were the ones i bought eons ago from Kay Pate. Thorse stayed put and NEVER moved. They were almost indestructible, too! Of course they were made of much heavier fabic than the lightweight lycra that's used now.

Wish i could find a good hood, too!!!

I had bought a couple of used hoods and when they rolled up into my mares eyes I swore I would never use a hood again. I found a couple of hoods that are brand new and still in the package. I have not tried them but I bought larges. They are made by "Tough 1" and are called "Miniature Mane Stay". They are made of spandex and are a bit different from the other hoods I had. First they have larger eye and ear holes. There is a light 1" fleece lining around the nose and velcro to fit the hood around the nose area so hopefully the hood won't creep up into the eye. The hood then fastens around the girth so it will not ride up. It covers the shoulder and just past the wither. I hope these hoods work for my monsters. I have so much to clean up every morning when I get back to the barn at the show. green poop in a light cream mane is so much fun. I love daily baths.
I use the mane stay hoods too. Most of my horses wear a size small. As long as they arent too big for the horses they dont ride up. I started out putting mediums on all of my horses until I got my first small and realized I was using the wrong size. Most of my horses are 32" and under.

I Love the hoods from Supreme Equine Design. They last forever and fit really well. Just make sure you get the right size for the horse . If they are too big that's when they catch on things andget in the eyes.

I use a loose hood and I pull it down to their nose a bit and put duck tape around it, the hood only. Keeps it from riding up. I havent had a problem since.

How about using a slinky and a neck cover as opposed to a hood? If your horse doesn't like hoods or rubs with them on, sometimes a neck cover will fix the problem and the slinky will help to keep that face white clean. There are a couple of blankets with neck covers that I saw today when I made an order at Ozark Mountain Tack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I prefer the so-called "headless hoods" you can get from Glover. My boys are already annoyed enough by those, I can't imagine what they'd do if I put a full hood on them! But it does keep them warm and dry when turned out clipped in our cold wet Washington springs and the worst I have to worry about is finding an ear folded back under the hood edge.

Leia

I put a clean throatlatch sweat on over the slinky, whether the mini needs it or not. I find this helps to keep the hood in place by anchoring it at the poll. I also have the kind with velcro that you can tighten around the muzzle, and I make sure that is tight too.

For my big horse, I used to have to put a halter (breakaway of course) on over his slinky hood or he would take it off!! I never did figure out how he did it. With all the white on him, I had to come up with something to keep him clean for a show.

Latest posts

Back