Being induced, any words of wisdom?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
Im going to be induced at 5:00am Thursday morning due to a medical condition. I'm almost a week past my due date, so the doctors feel that everything should be fine with the baby, thank heavens.

Until now, I was pretty calm about everything. We planned to have a natural birth, with no drugs or epidural, we took classes to prepare me for the birth, and were confident that I would be able to handle labor without any "comfort measures".

Now that I'm going to be induced, Im pretty worried. I believe I am being induced with Pitocin. Before knowing I would be induced, I mostly skimmed over articles related to being induced, because its something we didn't plan on having done. In fact, if it wasn't for the medical condition I have, I would let the baby keep "cooking" until he was ready to come out.

Now Ive been reading like crazy to find out as much as possible about being induced, and I'm scared.

From what I have read, Pitocin is the most "aggressive" of drugs used to induce, causing violent unbearable contractions that barely any women can handle without an epidural, and they can go on as long, or longer than a natural labor. This has me pretty worried, I have a decent pain tolerance, but I have yet to hear of more than 5 women to ever have an induction without an epidural.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom? If you were induced, how bad was it, how long did labor last, did anything seem to help?

Did you eat before you went in to be induced, and if so, do you remember what? I forgot to ask if I'll be allowed to eat the night before, Ill have to call my doctor and find out if Im allowed. I know I wont be allowed to eat while being induced, but would like to eat something before so I have some energy.

Im just afraid maybe being induced will make me vomit if I eat to close to getting the pitocin. Im scheduled to be induced at 5am, so will be getting up around 3:00am to have time to shower and get to the hospital.

I would have preferred to try to wait him out, but again, this is necessary due to my medical condition, and I feel very guilty, like Im kicking him out because im tired of being pregnant or something.

In case it matters, Im currently dialated to almost a 2, and 80% effaced. I haven't been having any contractions. I did lose my mucus plug last night.

Like I said don't worry about your birth plan too much. I was in the same boat. Said no drugs and no epidural in my birth plan. I went in early on Friday morning, and had baby by c-section on Saturday evening. Yes I ate before and drank during but by the time my surgery came round all I really wanted was a drink and of course wasn't allowed one. Painful - yes quite a bit but I don't know how much of that was to do with my pelvis not being able to acomodate a natural birth, I had extreme pain in my legs and felt like I wanted to kick the end out of the bed but because I could not get into active labour they kept upping he Syntocion and would to start with only give me 2 panadol as labour was not established. I laboured for 12 hours without and epidural, had pethadine first, but stressed the baby so had an epidural in the end. To be honest I don't recall much of that time, but the epidural was not one of the major things I can remember, and I remember so things like it was yesterday so can't have been bad at all. Pitocin is a brand name of Syntocion.

Just don't listen to the horror stories. It is different for everyone. Even the differences between my 2 sections who were both done by the same surgon were so different.

Good luck, soon you will get to meet your wee boy.

I have had three children and all three were induced. Seems like I just never go into labor. Heck, I'd still probably be pregnant with number one is I hadn't been induced. LOL But seriously, with the first I had the pain meds but only because I was afraid. I walked in and said to give me the epidural and they suggested I wait until they actually started. LOL With the second and third I knew what to expect and it was no big deal. The pain is not severe. But I suggest the epidural as it will take the edge off. Doesn't hurt the baby and there is no sense being uncomfortable. You wouldn't have a root canal with pain meds, why have a baby without them? The problem with being induced is that you don't built up to the labor pains. I went from nothing to full blown labor very quickly. I understand when you go into labor naturally, the labor pains build up in intensity so you have time to adjust to them. That is not the case with being induced. Labor pains are like menstrual cramps, just much more severe. Nothing you can't handle, but very uncomfortable. I am lucky because I have a very high pain tolerance. Obviously it isn't that bad or else I would have stopped after one child. LOL

I liked having the epidural during child number one because I was more comfortable and I could enjoy the actual birth without pain. I didn't get it with number 2 and 3 because they came out so quickly. Just when I thought I needed it, it was too late, there they were! But my first labor was quite long and after about 5 hours of intense labor pains, I was ready for a break. I didn't deliver for another 4 hours. You can have them insert the needle but not actually give the medicine until you request it. If you don't need it, fine. If you decide to have it, it will be ready. Just a thought.

Good luck, it will be something you won't forget.

Shelley

I was induced with both of my girls. With Olivia, my oldest, I had decided to do it all natural, too. And I really didn't want to be induced, either. But after walking around for 3 weeks dilated to 3 and going 2 weeks past my due date, I was ready when the doctors started insisting.

I was induced with Pitocin. Now, since this was my first labor, I didn't really have anything to compare it to, so I don't know if the contractions were stronger or not. We walked the halls and did everything else to try and move everything along. I did really well with sticking to my birth plan and got dialated to 7. Everyone had told me if you can make it to 7 and transition, you are almost there - and you can make it. Unfortunately, I got to 7 and my progress stalled out. The doctors couldn't figure out why, but after being stuck at transition, with strong contractions every 2 minutes, I gave in and had the epidural.

NOW (TMI alert for anyone who wants to stop reading now
wink.gif
) me stalling out at 7 had NOTHING to do with being induced and everything to do with the fact that Olivia had a hold of my cervix! One of her arms was out of position and up beside her head and she literally had her fingers wrapped around the edge of my cervix. She's been a troublemaker ever since!
rolleyes.gif
All told, I was in labor with Olivia for about 12 hours. My pitocin was started around 7:30 a.m. and she was born at 7:04 p.m.

SO - if you want to do this naturally, I think you can. You are already dialated and effaced which I think is really good. The induced labors I've heard of that drag on forever or end in c-section are usually those of people who go in without any start to this at all - not dialated or thinned out at all and the drugs just don't help them progress.

That said, I think the epidural is the best thing ever invented!
aktion033.gif
In fact, with my second daughter, Madalyn, I was also induced. I didn't have very strong contractions, but dialated pretty quickly to 4 and asked for my epidural right away! I never even really felt a contraction and it was the easiest labor ever! In fact, she came out so quickly, the doctor missed the birth because he got on an elevator heading down instead of up!
yes.gif
The resident in the room had to "catch" her. With Madalyn, my induction started at around 7:00 a.m. and she was born at 11:30 a.m. - so it was very short!

So, please, please, don't be scared of the epidural if you feel you need one. And don't feel like a failure for using the drugs if you feel like you need to. Good luck and we will be praying for a safe delivery of your little one!

Barbara

They wont give you the epidural until contractions are under way so you can kinda judge from there. Keep in mind that once you go past a certain point the option is taken away. So I would say if it seems really uncomfortable go for the epidural. I had a friend that didnt and she really regretted it as she was so worn out after delivey. I had 2 naturally and only 1 induced and the pain to ME was more severe. It took me about 8 hrs. Which was long for me as I had my first in 3 hours and my last about 30 mins after I got to the hospital.

Its so exciting as you are getting ready for the biggest day of your life! Once you hold your baby the whole world has changed. I still remember my mom telling me that my life would never be the same again on the way to the delivery room. She was so right!

Sending prayers for an easy delivery and healthy baby!

Kay

I have a lot of empathy for you in this circumstance
default_wub.png
First of all you need to throw expectations out the window. I had a birth plan, but in birth there are so many thousands of variables you just have to pray and trust your body to do what it's supposed to do. Visualize each contraction opening your cervix.

Ideally, you will already be in mild labor or have given birth by the time you are supposed to be induced, so I'll send along a prayer that it's soon for you! Since you lost your mucous plug you are well on your way! I was induced twice. First with cervadil and pitocin. Second time with just pitocin. Both were extremely different, so I won't go into details.

My first "hard labor" only lasted 6 hours and my second "hard labor" lasted only 8 hours.

You can handle contractions while on pitocin, but don't feel bad if you need a narcotic drug. In a perfect world there would be no need, but sometimes for your body to relax and to progress while being induced the drugs slow your brain to the reaction of the pain which allows very quick dilation of your cervix. This will shorten your labor. However, discuss with your dr, but I would suggest you try a narcotic before you opt for an epidural, especially since you are a first-time mother. It helps to feel your body to be able to effectively push out your baby.

DON'T WORRY if at all possible. It is the most harmful thing you can do to yourself, your body, and your unborn baby. Try to relax. My midwife, also an amazing horsewoman, gave this advice... Give birth like a seasoned broodmare. Don't fight your body, accept the pains as giving you one step closer to meeting your beautiful baby.

Thirdly, quit reading dramatized, horror stories. Pitocin is powerful, but even though it is synthetic, it is very similar to natural labor IN THE FACT that it leads to transition and birth. No matter if you have had pitocin or not contractions lead to transition, which is the major part of labor.

I would suggest you eat lightly many hours before being induced. Again, ask your provider what they suggest. I was on a liquid diet before I had my first but had not eaten for quite awhile beforehand. I'm not sure what I ate before my second. I do believe they will suggest that you not eat, or at least keep it very light many hours before being induced.

Pregnancy and L&D is one of my passions. I wish I could somehow assist you in person. You are going to meet your baby pretty soon! Such an exciting time!!!! God bless you!

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, take a deep breath and relax- you can do this, in fact you can handle pretty much anything...for a day. That's what I reminded myself and it's true. I, too, was induced due to my medical condition. Labor started in a few hours and got more and more...uncomfortable, but tolerable. My mom likens contractions to nine months worth of payback for not having to have menstrual cramps. I have a high pain tolerance BUT I decided beforehand to have an epidural (and whatever painkillers they had to offer:)) I wasn't in a drug haze, I was completely lucid and relaxed;I still could feel the contractions, but I wasn't in misery. With the pain under control, I felt I could enjoy the whole experience more. Seemed to go rather quickly, too.

I think the hardest thing about having a baby was the first few weeks AT HOME. No sleep, aching body, hormones and emotions all over the place, and the new little baby who wants something every few hours.

This too shall pass...

Congrats and good luck
default_smile.png

I understand many want a natural birth with no drugs. I fully respect that but please do not feel less then as a woman if you give birth using drugs. Seems so odd to me but women tend to judge others so much on how they give birth and if they do or do not breastfeed.

You have to trust your doctor and do what will work for you. I do believe if your water broke and you had started labor you would feel alot of the same anxiety- somehow the reality of being a first time parent truly seems to hit when birth is right around the corner LOL no matter how labor starts.

Shower and shave or have your husband shave your legs for you. For some reason most of my friends and myself seemed to be so worried about hairy legs. That seemed to overshadow the fact our kaslopus was out there for the world to see.
default_laugh.png

It is a learning experience and babies are pretty forgiving- they do not expect you to be a perfect parent and it is scary or at least it was for me. I had no experience with babies and didnt have the most supportive mom in fact my own baby was really the only newborn or baby for that matter I think I had ever held up to that point. I sort of muddled thru the first couple of weeks but do not put to many expectations on yourself you will figure it all out!

Most of all know that the best things in life rarely go as planned and by this time tomorrow you are going to be a mom- holding your baby- such a powerful thing- all will be ok- how he got here will not matter in the least try to stay calm and remember everyone likes to outdo eachother with the horrors of labor but really many have more then one child so it can not be that bad -

Good luck and please try and update or have someone update us here and let us know how you did ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you and the baby are doing great and are at home resting!!

My mother was induced with Pitocin with her last 2 children-I was 15 for one and 19 for the other and my mom made me stay with her the whole time because she said it was the best birth control a mother could give her child
default_laugh.png
She was SO right. She was induced both times very early in the morning and then had her babies late in the evening. She did alot of walking to help things progress and also help with pain. She did get the epidural with both. While I commend those who go au naturale, I've seen child birth WITH the epidural and it is not pretty! SO, for those that make it without drugs, you are one heck of a woman. Anyway, the Pitocin was great because it moved things along very fast. My mom said the contractions aren't any worse when you're induced. Oh and she was induced a month early for both. With her first 4 kids she had them in 10-30 minutes. With my sister the doctor/nurses didn't even have time to get the bed ready. We live 20 minutes from the hospital so inducing early was necessary!

Hugs to you-give us an update when you can!

Wish we had someone that could update us. Cant wait to see how you and baby are doing!

Latest posts

Back