Before I go into story a simple yes or no will help.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have shown pregnant mares in rated shows, I generally just stop showing them when they get further along.

What do you do to protect them? I have a really sweet mare who is hopefully 3 months. I need to brush up on confidence and gwt judges feedback. I cant afford lessons. I really want a sweet gelding, I just worry about my girly diamond... I have a broodmare that I dont think I will ever breed. And my only money is in horseflesh. A trade would be awesome.

How do the mares react at shows?

This baby is going to be a star!

Thanks Maple Hollow!

One of our 4-Hers showed one of our two pregnant mares at the 4-H Fair this year. We made sure she was up to date on her Rhino/flu vaccine, which should be given every 2-3 months to be safe. She was 3 months along when shown. Our mare was confirmed in foal by ultrasound when she was only about 3 WEEKS in foal so we knew we had to be careful. She was reconfirmed in foal with a urine test just last month.

I know many do just fine, but I would not show a bred mare
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a time or two in the past, but I prefer not to show pregnant mares, or weanlings. Just a lot of stress on them and too many bugs floating around show grounds, not worth taking a chance on for me.

Jan

I would not hesitate to show a bred mare if she's shown a lot before she was bred, and thus already used to the stress of hauling and stalling in a strange place and showing.

I've shown a bred mare at Nationals (to OK and back from CA) who was seven months in foal but she was shown every year since a yearling and had previously made the trip to nationals before.

Keep vaccinations current, too...

I also exercise daily, mares in foal... But would not exercise more than the mare was conditioned to prior to breeding.

Thank you everyone for the info. I don't think I will risk it. I have only shown in a/r and not with this mare. I don't have a a confirmed pregnancy. We want this to be a surprise. I do have her coverdates to get a timeframe.

I think I will keep an eye out for a gelding. I have some books so I will start working with diamond for training and grooming, can never have a horse that knows and behaves "too" good.

I am not sure if this is against any rules, if so please let me know so I can edit this part:

I am in Texas. Does anyone know of any geldings that aren't being used but might work for this?

Thanks again everyone!

How about giving Chances rescue page a look- there may be a horse being fostered near to you....

JMO : )

I would NOT show a PG mare at a show.

Yes I have however at that point the mare had been shown for 3 years. I showed her through nationals where she was 5 months along.

I would not hesitate to show a bred mare if she's shown a lot before she was bred, and thus already used to the stress of hauling and stalling in a strange place and showing.

I've shown a bred mare at Nationals (to OK and back from CA) who was seven months in foal but she was shown every year since a yearling and had previously made the trip to nationals before.

Keep vaccinations current, too...

I also exercise daily, mares in foal... But would not exercise more than the mare was conditioned to prior to breeding.

Exactly my opinion too. I have shown pregnant mares, and one was Performance Horse of the Year when when she was shown all season when she was pregnant, up to and including Nationals. Quite the accomplishment! She was well-conditioned and very used to showing, and loved it. Another mare, I showed when pregnant (only halter and Liberty, etc), she wasn't as used to showing and started getting stressed, so since she had earned her Halter Hall of Fame, we stopped showing her. It all depends on the particular mare. And like my doctor told me when I was pregnant, I could continue to do those things that I was accustomed to doing, but not to be starting anything new. So I could go riding (up to a certain point) but learning to ski while pregnant was out. ;)

I worked up to three weeks before I had my twins... And I have a fairly physical job taking care of two dozen draft horses. Nine months pregnant with twins and I could still muck stalls, throw 50 pound draft harness on 18 hand horses... But I'd been doing it for over ten years prior to pregnancy, so it was nothing new to my body and probably why I had such an easy pregnancy (despite being twins!!!)

I just can't risk this.. I am only doing this once, and its already making my "by chance" decision to breed her to a nice stud, who I still want to buy, looking like it will be a pain in the papers....

And I do not want a mistake anywhere again....

I have a really nice broodmare. I took advice and got a broodmare to pal around with Diamond and hopefully the goat Bud, would become a goat and not a mini foal. That seems to be working. But I am feeling the broodmare is not a good fit, and could be worth more to someone else. I got the best mare I could find in my pricerange.

So with my limit of 3 filled if there is a baby, I would rather have a good gelding than a broodmare.

First thing I did was check the chance web page! This breeding goal is an awesome gelding. But there were none listed in Texas. I need to look at Bluebonnet equine rescue and see what they have. I would love a rescue. They never forget what you did....

If I had lots of money, well, I might not be thinking so logically. But the minis are my project. I do not spend household money, unless its emergency. I am obsessed with hoarding feed. I search for deals. I tell myself to limit my obsession by only having 2 months of food stocked up. I only have 6 acres, and have to share a barn.

The only value I have right now is in this broodmare. And horse sales suck for unbroke ponies due to xmas. Come the spring all the great ponies will be on craigslist when people are slapped with reality.

So I thought that trading this mare to a breeder, I could come out happy.

There is a gelding on the sale page that might work, but he still needs handling. My daughter is at the age where she learns the most and has to have eyes on her every moment outside. So time is limited right now. I havent met the horse yet so I haven't seen if I have the time he will need.

I know this is long and I am sorry if it gets off course. I am just trying to make the best choice.

Thanks again. You really helped settle my mind on Diamond...

Hi Rena,

I was just going to bump this for more advice and saw you had posted. Seems my notifications are not all making it all of the time.

I am close to austin Texas. REO has a boy I like, but she isn't trading. I do not mind paying cash for a horse. But my only off on the mare sale wise is 300. So if I sold her my max cash is about 400. I have only have about 200 left of spending cash after I use my last feed coupon. If I can't find the best deal, I will need that spare cash to use for something like gelding, shots, supplies.

I am not in a huge rush. But warm winters and cool springs are my outside active time of the year. Summer hits and I dread going outside. So those are the best time of the year for me.

And everyones help, I feel will no matter what the outcome, will go a long way.

So thanks so much guys!

Back