BB's Foaling Thread FILLY!!! NEW Pics FINALLY!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone on here watch my mare for me for a few hours?? I can be there right quick if I have to be but I have to be away from my computer for a bit. If you can let me know and I can give you access.

Hi guys. My cam does not stream through the public, we own our own address so if someone wants to watch they have to be added and given a account name and password. I need a few people who can help me watch her, especially at night...any night owls or people that are awake when we are asleep over here in Utah? My hubby is out of town for the next three days and I have nobody to leave my kids with so I really can't camp out at night with them, it is way too cold and they are way too young. I have her on cam next to my bed all night and even have a motion alarm on that sends me a beep when she makes large enough moves but I would like some extra eyes. Let me know if you think you could help me at night, I can't overload the server with too many watchers or it can slow the connection. I haven't had a chance to see her in person yet this morning but on cam she is VERY quiet, stands a LOT, actually finally laid down this morn for a short time, she hasn't laid down for days due to her cough. Picking at her hay a little here and there...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Liz, I can watch her for you at night as I am in Italy. Are you the on the same time zone as Arizona?

I think we are on the same timezone. I will email you info in a bit.

Diane who would be on the same time as Liz? I am trying to work out the time difference from Utah to Italy

Google says it is 12:40pm in Utah and 7:40pm in Italy

I am in the same time zone as Diane so I don't think I am much help with watching at night.

I can offer but tomorrow I have to bring the jeep for new front brakes and then some shopping so I am of no use tomorrow but not going anywhere Saturday and at home till 1pm Sunday. Home again all day Monday then kids are back to school so around in the morning which is your night time.

Thanks girls, I think Cassie could cover early night if she is free and then I can take over at about 12.30am.

So you hear so much about how mares get antsy etc before possible labor...does anyone have the opposite? Mares that pretty much do NOTHING before they go into labor? My mare I had before, she was a Rocky Mountain, she showed NO signs ever, physical or mental before she would foal, she would just plop them out so she wasn't a good educator for me. My mare has pretty much done nothing but stand as still as a statue in her preferred corner almost ALL day long now...a few nibbles and drinks but mostly still as a tree standing.

They usually do some "out of the norm" stuff the day of foaling, it could just be stand in a different place. Minis aren't as dramatic as their bigger cousins and I have had plenty just drop and plop out the foal.

LOL I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong, I just hoped it meant she was really close hehe. She use to lay down ALL the time, for very long periods of time, never flat out though. Right around the time she got sick she quit, I don't know if it was coincidence or if the illness was making her cough too much when she was laying down. I saw her laying down this morning for the first time in days, my cam takes a pic every 30 seconds and downloads to our hard drive so I can go back and watch the whole day and night so for sure I know she didn't lay down at all for days...so either she feels like she can as her illness is leaving or something else. Maybe foal is too uncomfy to lay on right now, it was just a big change for her, since she was laying down so much then laying down not at all. I hope she goes soon because I am tired and need some rest lol. Wish I could do a milk test...lol oh well.

Any of the "rules" - in my experience anyway - get tossed right out the window with Rhino. I found a dead foal in a stall 15 minutes after checking the mare and had 6 phone messages from mare stare watchers all saying "your mare just foaled". NO ONE said -" watch your mare - she looks like she might foal any time" or "your mare is going into labor". I was only a few feet away all the time. This actually happened twice, only the second time no one called at all.

I wish you much better luck.

Most mares stop laying down a night or two before foaling, of course there are a few exceptions like Amanda's mare. lol

Targetsmom, I spoke to my vet about this as you kind of mentioned it earlier. He said that the rhino that causes abortion in late term mares does cause a very abrubt abortion of a still born foal. No real signs. He said it is usually within the first 2-3 days and over very quickly, almost more like a bowel movement than a delivery. Kind of why it is called an abortion storm on farms because the mares will just all quickly dump out foals quickly and sometimes all at the same time. She is on day 6 now so we are assuming it was a different strain of rhino BUT of course we are not out of the woods until a healthy foal is on the ground. Thanks for the info.

I am off to bed now, I will pull bb up as soon as I wake. Night night

Targetsmom, I spoke to my vet about this as you kind of mentioned it earlier. He said that the rhino that causes abortion in late term mares does cause a very abrubt abortion of a still born foal. No real signs. He said it is usually within the first 2-3 days and over very quickly, almost more like a bowel movement than a delivery. Kind of why it is called an abortion storm on farms because the mares will just all quickly dump out foals quickly and sometimes all at the same time.
Very interesting. thanks for sharing.

Wishing your girl all the best!

Back from the barn. I was finally able to get some "milk" out tonight. It was completely clear, NO color, about 20 drops worth but it was VERY sticky. I put a drop on the test strips, waited the 15 seconds and this is what it showed...might mean nothing since the milk was...sticky water basically lol. What you all think? Her belly looks lower, she is doing better as far as the illness and FINALLY got a hold of the vet, he said as long as she is on her way UP from the illness that she will have very potent antibodies for it for jr. when they come along. She is still pigging out and happy to eat. The photo of her belly is in my empty goat pen, I threw her in there to snap some pics and she ROLLED on the concrete...lol...and rubbed her butt until the moon didn't shine on the chain link.

IMG_4381 copy.jpg

IMG_4375 copy.jpg

IMG_4373 copy.jpg

Latest posts

Back