Bay Roan or Blue Roan

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you think I should register him as?

• Bay Roan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blue Roan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AppyHollow

Reaction score
Had a little bay colt born here on July 4th. No white markings at all, just a little bay colt. Sire is a black & white pinto, Dam is a silver bay.

This is what he looked like before clipping:

/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Phil0905_1.jpg

And this is now:

/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/PhilSept06.jpg

/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/PhilSept02.jpg

/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/PhilSept04.jpg

So guys, help me out here so I can get his paperwork done before he goes to his new owners in a month!

Rhapsody Rhodes

Appy Hollow Farm

I am puzzled by his color!

No help at all, sorry?
unsure.gif

A "Blue Roan" is a black horse with the roan gene. Your colt appears to be Bay...was born Bay...and even tho he may be very dark, still a Bay. He will roan out everywhere except his head (which will remain bay colored) & lower legs which will remain black. His mane & tail should also remain black.

Some people forget a Bay is a Bay...no matter how dark they appear. You can tell a Bay by looking at the brown hairs around the muzzle...even if they appear to be black everywhere else, if they are brown on the muzzle they are a Bay. (the darkest ones referred to as "Black-Bays".

So...I voted Bay Roan.
yes.gif

Give use the color of the grand parents please? He has to many white hairs in his face to make me feel he is true roan. If he is roan I call him bay roan, but a lot of old timers call any bay or black base roan a blue roan. Does he have appy or grey or something else back there ???

He has to many white hairs in his face to make me feel he is true roan.
Yes, I agree. He looks to be a bay, roaning, app, or bay going grey.

A true roan will have a solid face, that doesn't get lighter...unless one of the parents is a grey, or appy...then you will get that too. But, in your lil guy's case, I see no sign of true roan; bay or whatever, in his foal coat at all.

I thought the same thing too....BUT, "if" the colors of the parents are correct, he cannot be a gray.

Maybe he has some Sabino roaning going on as well. His sire is a pinto...so a possibility.
yes.gif

Very strange, this...he even has the "haloing" around his eyes, that is common in greying foals. Have you SEEN his sire? Possibly he is registered as a black and white pinto, but has greyed, as well? Seem to have us stumped.

I have never seen sabino change a horse in this extreme a fashion, but guess there is a first time for everything.

Is there a grey stallion over in the other pasture?
rolleyes.gif
new_shocked.gif
biggrin.gif
If so...I'd be getting some DNA-ing done in a hurry.

Not Roan of any sort, either Apping out or Greying out- He would not have a roan head if a True Roan- when I first saw him I though he would App- so- parents colours???

I agree this is no roan at all.

Looks like a grey to me, so one of the parents is not (just) what you think they are.

Or like Sue_C said she made a short trip to another pasture!
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
What I meant in my post .....was IF the colors of the parents are correct, the colt "could" possibly be a combination of true Roan AND Sabino. I have had two solid Sabino foals here that you would have sworn were going gray. Their heads & faces started roaning out considerably ( at about 1 - 2 months old.)
yes.gif

But GRAY is also a "possibility". As someone has already mentioned....if she hasn't actually SEEN the sire in person, it could just be registered as black & white & has grayed out since. Or.....could be the wrong sire listed.
rolleyes.gif

black bay roan (genetic dark bay roan) showing the effect of the silver dapple gene.. that is why he is looking cocoa colored on his points, washed out around his face and at his coronary bands etc... his mane and tail will probably lighten up as he gets bigger as well. when he sheds out in the spring he will look lighter and his head will look darker. Some roans look almost solid colored in their winter clothes. Yes some roans do get white hairs on their faces, too, but the overall effect when he sheds out in the spring will be that of a darker head and face area and his body will look much lighter looking from front to back. Roans are almost different colors depending on the seasons... kinda like having a different horse in the spring from the winter... to me they are one of the most interesting of colors.

You do have to have a Roan to get a Roan- that is why this horse is not a Roan!! Also, Roans do not have all the white hairs this one has on the head- IME they are also, when having Silver, born a very funny colour
smile.gif
No, I do not think this horse is showing Silver- in fact I'd be willing to bet money he's not!

Correct he can not be a roan if his parents are not a roan, and he cant be gray for the same reason. However he does look like a classical gray.

DO you have pics of his parents?

Not a roan. He looks like a typical true grey to me....it would be nice to see pics of the parents....

jennifer
saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
If we see photos of the sire we can tell if he is roan or not... many minis have been registered as chestnuts or bays when they were actually chestnut roans or bay roans, or silver dapple roans of some sort. whether he is genetic roan or something else, his hair coat displays the classic description of roan given in most books, an even mixture of white and dark hairs over most of the body. I suppose it is a moot point if he is registered roan, grey or another color, since the color can be changed at any time on his papers to describe the correct color as he grows up.

All I get is the red X, tried to see the pictures with copying and pasting but my computer is doing like my youngest and ignoring me.

My post is simply that roan coloring can be deciving at times. I have listed two of our QH babies for referance. One is out of a red roan mare and blue roan stud the other is out of a brown stud and a grey mare.

snakeeye3.jpg
newgreycolt2.jpg

Now of course I'm trying to "trip you up" as the first photo is a blue roan filly and the other is (going to be) a grey gelding. He is even more "colored" now than in these photos, he is the most gorgeous roan color and I'm getting so tired of saying "No he's not a roan" when people come to look.

Our blues are really sunbleached, don't know why this year affected them more than others and it is only the blues that seem "faded" the bays and reds are still brillant.

Now that I've sufficantly highjacked your thread this is another photo of the grey gelding showing what I believe to be his best side.

stonecoldbuttshotcroped.jpg

(Sorry it's over sharpened.)

minicount said:
My post is simply that roan coloring can be deciving at times.  I have listed two of our QH babies for referance.  One is out of a red roan mare and blue roan stud the other is out of a brown stud and a grey mare.
Now of course I'm trying to "trip you up" as the first photo is a blue roan filly and the other is (going to be) a grey gelding.  He is even more "colored" now than in these photos, he is the most gorgeous roan color and I'm getting so tired of saying "No he's not a roan" when people come to look.

Our blues are really sunbleached, don't know why this year affected them more than others and it is only the blues that seem "faded" the bays and reds are still brillant.

Now that I've sufficantly highjacked your thread this is another photo of the grey gelding showing what I believe to be his best side.

(Sorry it's over sharpened.)

467023[/snapback]

Your AQHA babies are both beautiful.

Latest posts

Back