Banding?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferrah

Reaction score
Coming from a Quarter Horse, Appy and Paint showing background I like the banded look very much. Does anyone band their mini's manes for showing? I have never, ever seen a mini banded before. I'm wondering if it is against the rules or if people leave the mane natural like Arabians for a reason.

I'm not really sure if banding would flatter a miniatures neck, I was just wondering because I have never seen this done on a mini before. I'd imagine if you had an Arabian type mini you would want to show them like an Arab with the natural mane. But what if your horse is a Quarter Horse type mini? Would banding be acceptable then?

I'm starting to confuse myself so I'll stop there
smile.gif

I believe minis are supposed to be shown with natural mane. No accutraments are permitted, but I don't know if banding would be considered as such. Someone else here, I'm sure, knows the answer.

Yep. For halter classes it's natural mane only. Braiding is allowed for jumping classes.

MA

Okay, I dont know what I am talking about, so I am just going to delete the message!

-Gage-

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess perhaps you could band for hunter but no not for halter
smile.gif
Most minis show with a full mane not pulled and without a pulled mane cant really band
wink.gif
however I will say I had a appy gelding that was blessed with an appy mane and tail (he had none) and i showed him with it pulled (but not banded)so it wasnt scrawny and icky looking and he won several grands that way.

Last edited:
I come from the Quarter horse world...no banding in the Mini world...thank goodness...that is always a time consuming job
aktion033.gif

The little guys show in a natural mane. However you can braid for hunter if ya wanna
biggrin.gif

Lis

I showed in an open youngstock class with a yearling gelding one time and I plaited him up for it exactly as I would have done a Hunter yearling (The Judge was a Hunter Judge) After she had finished laughing she gave her understudy a very creditable run down on what to look for in a Miniature , and placed him second. She did say she did not fancy trying to take him out for a days Hunting, though!! I think he looked cute for that one class, but I would hate to see it catch on. I would also not like the work involved- I'm afraid not plaiting (Braiding) or clipping was one of the reasons I got started showing the Arabs!!
smile.gif
(I know, I know,but I'd done my time preparing the kids ponies for ten years!!)

Banding is different then braiding or plaiting...here is a picture that hopefully will not be to dark to show them. They are tiny rows along the top of the mane. banded in rubberbands at the top. This allows the mane to be cut very short and still lay down...it makes everything neat and tidy.

I used to make extra money at the big shows banding my little brains out.
wacko.gif

Time consuming but, you get the hang of it after a while and sail through it. This is a picture of my daughter Cait and our Bosal Baby GG.
caitlil.jpg

I hope its not to dark to show...but, you may get the just hopefully.

I band my Paint horses manes for halter..Geez..sure hope they don't start banding mini's manes! lol

Just when I was all excited about not having to band!
yes.gif

GREENWOODMINIS said:
Banding is different then braiding or plaiting...here is a picture that hopefully will not be to dark to show them.  They are tiny rows along the top of the mane. banded in rubberbands at the top. This allows the mane to be cut very short and still lay down...it makes everything neat and tidy.  I used to make extra money at the big shows banding my little brains out.
wacko.gif

Time consuming but, you get the hang of it after a while and sail through it.  This is a picture of my daughter Cait and our Bosal Baby GG.
caitlil.jpg

I hope its not to dark to show...but, you may get the just hopefully.

462762[/snapback]

I guess I must be the weird one lol. I never minded banding the horse's manes!

Im with you Farrah actually I braided more then banded and much prefer banding
smile.gif

Gosh....I've never understood banding.
no.gif
I love the long, flowing natural manes.
yes.gif

I band the minis sometimes here at home in colored scrunchies for fun
new_multi.gif
new_multi.gif
new_multi.gif

Latest posts

Back