Baby Problems

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracyCCF

Reaction score
Well lets try this again. I have a foal born last night with an ulcer on his eye. He seems blind completely in that eye. I am at work, and my husband is at home. The vet came out first thing this morning, and looked at his eye, and gave my husband some eye ointment to put in the eye.

He doesnt seem to concerned, according to the husband. I have never had a foal born in over 18 years breeding minis, that was born with an ulcer. I have had foals develop ulcers , inverted eyelashes, etc. , but never one born with them.

He holds his head kinda cocked sideways. Very healthy colt, and almost 3.5 weeks overdue. I was just curious if anyone else has had this problem, and what your outcome was.

I have a call into the vet, so when he gets back to the office I am sure he will give me a call.

I dont know what ointment was given, but just one type, I asked the hubby and he said only one tube, not two , as most of the time I get one for antibiotic, and the other to keep it dilated.

If anyone has any word s of wisdom, I would love to hear them.

This boy is georgeous, black and white loud tovero colt. Dam is an pinto/appaloosa, and sire is a frame son of Thunder Hawk. I have high hopes for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to hear about his eye! i have never had one born like that either, so im not much help on that one, i hope it is something that can be corrected, he sounds like such a pretty boy, and i just love his mother, she is awsome, as we have seen her in person. Keep us posted as to what the vet says, and hope your little fella's eye clears up!

Awww.....Poor little guy! I'd ask the vet about the ointment. What kind is it? Does it have steriods in it???

Does the vet think the foal will eventually be able to see out of that eye?

MA

I am at work, so I havent seen it yet, but I am betting neomycin/bacitaracin ( and heck, I am probably not saying or spelling that right) . Ill have to check it out when I get home. I hope as with most ulcers it gets better, I was just hoping someone on here, had experience with it, and could give me some encouragement. Waiting almost a year for a foal, (truly almost a year) and then he come out, and have medical issues. I feel so bad fo rhim. I am keeping him in, wont turn him out until I find out, if sunlight might hurt him.

I am at work, so I havent seen it yet, but I am betting neomycin/bacitaracin ( and heck, I am probably not saying or spelling that right) . Ill have to check it out when I get home. I hope as with most ulcers it gets better, I was just hoping someone on here, had experience with it, and could give me some encouragement. Waiting almost a year for a foal, (truly almost a year) and then he come out, and have medical issues. I feel so bad fo rhim. I am keeping him in, wont turn him out until I find out, if sunlight might hurt him.
I found that med that we used on a couple over the years, and it worked well for poked eyes, and irritated eyes, not sure if it will help, but we bought it out of Jeffers, it is called Terramycin ointment. apply at least twice a day, and you can put it in as many times as you are down there, the more the better, just a tiney bit will do, and it disolves as soon as it comes in contact with the tears in the eye.

Just a little note too, a co-worker had an ulcer in her eye from her contact lens, and the eye Dr.gave her antibiotic ointment. It cost her 56.00 and it was the SAME MEDICINE!!! Different packaging of course, I said Susan, I could have gotten that for you out of Jeffers for 10.00$ Ha!

Hopefully it is Terramycin, which does NOT have steriods in it.

MA

Latest posts

Back