Babies #2 and #3...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aubrey715

Reaction score
The past couple days have been crazy. Tuesday night we had the little colt that wouldn't nurse. And if that wasn't enough we also had a still born filly born that same night. But things are getting much better now.

Well first off here is the little colt that i was bottle feeding. Today he is nursing his mom on his own and doing great. Thank you everybody who gave me advice and helped me, i really appreciate it. I wasn't going to post pictures of him until i thought for sure that he was going to make it. Now that he is nursing and doing good i have a good feeling that he is fine. I am guessing he is a bay pinto, or possible a smokey black pinto. He looks like an Oreo. He has greenish blue eyes right now but they probably will turn dark. His mom is a cremello pinto out of 2 black and white pintos, we are pretty sure her mom carried the creme gene because she also had a palomino out of sorrel a long time ago. She also had several other palomino foals before we bought her too. The colt's dad is out sorrel Sids Rebel son. What color would you say he is then, i am not too good with color genetics? By looking at him i would say bay pinto but from a cremello pinto and a sorrel?

ea911d10.jpg

ea911ce6.jpg

ea911cb9.jpg

ea911c9c.jpg

ea911c89.jpg

Then about 6:30 am this morning the foal alert beeper went off again and another mare was foaling. Hurried down to the barn and the baby was already half way out. It is a filly. She is either black or a really dark bay. She is out of the very first mare that we ever bought about 13 years ago. She has had a foal for us every year. She is 21 years old this year. The sire of this foal is also our Sids Rebel son.

ea911db1.jpg

ea911d77.jpg

ea911d35.jpg

Congrats,

They are just cuties. :aktion033: :aktion033:

Hopefully you can rest now.

So sorry about the one you lost.

Congrats on the colt he is adorable I am glad he is nursing on his own... very cute little boy maybe it is just the lighting but that eye looks pretty blue
default_smile.png

And your filly is beautiful as well I am jealous only one foal due this year and not for over a month yet!

Hopefully you can rest now.
I don't think i will be able to rest for about the next 6 months. We have 20 more mares still to foal. We have about 3 mares that could go any day now.

Sorry for your lost foal, but congrats on the wonderful, happy and healthy new ones!! So glad to hear your colt is now nursing well on his own. And WOW, I just love the head on that newest filly!!
default_wub.png
:

Thats great news, congratulations on your beautiful babies!!!

Great News I KNEW HE COULD DO IT :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

and Congradulations on your new Filly :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

I am so happy for you, the colt looks like he is doing well. I am sure that you will have a big sigh of relief on that one.

The new filly is adorable with a tiny cute head! She sure has a wooly coat compared to the new filly we have. I wonder if you have had a harder winter or if your mare stays out at night? I love the waves!

So sorry about the one you lost, but thankful for the two you have.
default_wub.png
:

The foal alerts are certainly life savers and I can't imagine the long days and nights without it.

Congratulations,

Janet

Very nice colt and filly aubrey!! glad the colt is finally nursing!

and sorry to hear about the still born filly
default_sad.png

jeeez man! Busy busy foaling year for you! best of luck with the rest!!

default_wub.png
:

He isnt bay pinto, he is black pinto, actually a smokey black pinto. He has to carry cream with a cremello mother.

Wow! Busy indeed and I'm so sorry for the stillborn baby.
default_sad.png

I think if the mare is a cremello, the foal has to carry at least one dilute gene? If that's the case, then it would be smokey black and not bay, because bay would be buckskin, though some buckskins look VERY dark/smutty....

Anyway, that filly has an exquisite head on her, even in all the wonderful, curly fuzz!

Congratulations and good luck X 20!

Liz M.

The past couple days have been crazy. Tuesday night we had the little colt that wouldn't nurse. And if that wasn't enough we also had a still born filly born that same night. But things are getting much better now.

Well first off here is the little colt that i was bottle feeding. Today he is nursing his mom on his own and doing great. Thank you everybody who gave me advice and helped me, i really appreciate it. I wasn't going to post pictures of him until i thought for sure that he was going to make it. Now that he is nursing and doing good i have a good feeling that he is fine. I am guessing he is a bay pinto, or possible a smokey black pinto. He looks like an Oreo. He has greenish blue eyes right now but they probably will turn dark. His mom is a cremello pinto out of 2 black and white pintos, we are pretty sure her mom carried the creme gene because she also had a palomino out of sorrel a long time ago. She also had several other palomino foals before we bought her too. The colt's dad is out sorrel Sids Rebel son. What color would you say he is then, i am not too good with color genetics? By looking at him i would say bay pinto but from a cremello pinto and a sorrel?

ea911d10.jpg

ea911ce6.jpg

ea911cb9.jpg

ea911c9c.jpg

ea911c89.jpg

Then about 6:30 am this morning the foal alert beeper went off again and another mare was foaling. Hurried down to the barn and the baby was already half way out. It is a filly. She is either black or a really dark bay. She is out of the very first mare that we ever bought about 13 years ago. She has had a foal for us every year. She is 21 years old this year. The sire of this foal is also our Sids Rebel son.

ea911db1.jpg

ea911d77.jpg

ea911d35.jpg
First off...CONGRATULATIONS on your new babies! :aktion033: They are both adorable!
default_wub.png
:

Cremello is a horse that carries TWO creme genes. So the cremello mare's "black & white" parents BOTH had to be Smokey Blacks (black with creme).

....so since the cremello dam to this colt is carrying two creme genes...the colt has to have one. That would make him a Smokey Black.
default_yes.gif
:

Aubrey,

Congrats on your new additions - they're both VERY nice!
default_wub.png
: I'm sorry about the one you lost - we'll pray that is the only one!
default_yes.gif
:

Keep 'em comin'!!

What beautiful foals--both of them are darling, but I agree on the gorgeous head on that filly.
Are you in charge of foaling? Or are several on call? Are you still in high school--or out? I love the behind the scenes stories.

I hope you don't get tired of posting pictures because I'd like to see everyone coming.

And I'm sorry about the filly.
Thank you everybody on the kind things that you have said about both foals. And the filly is really nice and has a gorgeous head. When the weather warms up for good here she will be one of the first ones i clip.

I am basically in charge of foaling this year. My grandparents are getting older and aren't able to do as much as they used to do. So this year i have decided that i will do most of the mare stare. They still watch the mares and everything but i have been doing most of it. I am 19 and this is my first year in college, so with school and the farm and everything else i am extremely busy but it is worth it.

Dona- Thank You for explaining it, now i understand about how you get a smokey black, that is what i thought he was but was unsure on how he could be.

:aktion033: Congratulations!!! Your foals are very nice! :aktion033:

Great looking foals glad that the colt is doing good. Congratulations. :aktion033:

:new_shocked: Look at the head on that filly! I want one just like her! Congratulations on two beauties!

Latest posts

Back