Asking for your experiences (not opinions) with keeping a single horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max's Mom

Reaction score
I have seen a few threads on the question of keeping a horse by himself, and realize that this is a topic that generates a lot of strong emotions! Therefore, from the beginning, I want to try and set some boundaries on this topic (though I realize that isn't always possible!).

1. I only own one horse but I do not keep him alone (he is boarded), so please don't judge me or my intentions simply because I brought the topic up.

2. I have many years of horse experience and I know all about horses as herd animals and their social needs.

3. I'm interested in actual experiences you personally have had, not in opinions about keeping single horses, pro or con. I really hope that people will be able to share their experiences without being judged by those who may disagree with their decisions.

What I am interested in is your experiences and stories. Some of you have only one horse that you keep without another equine companion. Some of you have had this experience in the past. I'm interested in how this has worked for you, both positives and negatives. What are some of your challenges and how have you addressed them? What sort of non-equine buddies (if any) does your horse have?. What have you learned from your experiences?

Thanks!

Emotions aside, I would say that it's entirely doable. Just like my lovebird, the horse will learn to bond you and trust you for his companionship. My emotions say that is not very nice to keep such a gregarious animal without equine company, but my practical side has actually done it twice. In fact, I sold a gelding who is by himself for now. Every time he sees his human "daddy" he gets so excited he runs around and bucks and then they spend time together. It has also been good for him in a way. After he was gelded he just needed time away from other horses to relax and settle some bad habits he had developed when he went through an aggressive stage as a stallion. It can be done as long as the horse has a lot of space and toys to prevent boredom and spends plenty of time with their human interacting.

Oh how I wish I had a single horse. My herd is killing me. The poop is endless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I board my mini. So, I don't know if this counts or not. But she is in a paddock by herself. I've had her in with other mini's, at another place, and it was hit and miss on if she got along with them or not. Most she did not, as she would become aggressive with them, mainly over food. She seems to do best, if she is in a paddock by herself, but with horses next to her, sharing the fence line. I can't say she doesn't get bored, as I think she does, but she refuses to play with toys. Even when she was with other mini's, she was one that didn't play. Would just stand and watch and have a ..."I'm too mature for this" look on her face. LOL I think it all depends on the horse, on if they are super social, or loners, just like people. She seems to really enjoy our company, my husband and mine's, when both or one of us is there with her though. She is my first horse, ever. So I have no other experience, but have been around other horses, just that they were not my own. If I had my own property, that I could have her there, I would be trying my best, to have her get along with another one, and have them in one paddock area. But would be prepared, to have them in separate ones, with the same fence, just incase it didn't work out.

My first miniature, the one in the avatar, was an Only for nearly a year. I spent lots of time with him and we lived right by his pasture so he had lots of human interaction. He was 5 years old, a stallion, and had barely had a halter on him in his life, and had lived with other stallions. I really think it made a bond between us. There were no other horses anywhere around us. I would not hesitate to have an Only. The only reason I got another one is... well, you know the potato chip theory!

My experiences with single horses were all with "big horses" but horses are horses as far as i am concerned.

My very first horse that I got in 1960 was an "only horse" and there were absolutely no issues at all. There were several horses in the neighborhood (this was pre-zoning) which she could probably smell and maybe hear, and I would often run into other horses when I went our riding - pretty much daily. But she was not part of a herd and had no one except us to "groom" her. Most of the friends that also had backyard horses also had just one, and I don't remember any of us having any problems. I did board a horse for someone else once for a month and THEN the two of them busted out and caused trouble, but the one alone was fine.

Fast forward to 2003 when we moved my riding horse Target to our back yard after boarding him for 9 years at different places. At almost all of those places he had individual turnout, so even with other horses he had no one to groom. In our backyard he adapted just fine to 24/7 turnout, which I think was why he lived for 20 years with half his small intestines removed, but that is another story. Again there are horses in the neighborhood so he could hear and smell others but did not seem concerned about them. Of course, everyone asked us if we needed a companion for him and - because it was a great excuse to get into minis - we bought our first mini!!! We kept them separate, but then we had the issue of how to still go on trail rides. Target solved that pretty much himself by going out of Cowboy's sight for longer and longer each day until he could graze out of sight for hours at a time. But this is what I always ask people who want a mini as a companion for their big horse - what will they do when they want to ride, go to a show, or (this is a big issue around here) they want to move the big horse to an indoor for the winter???

A friend of mine suggested that the optimum number of horses is 4, so you can always take 2 somewhere together and have 2 to leave home together!

I only have one horse, and she is just fine with it only her. She loves all the time we spend with her.

We do take her places and she is fine with other horses , but she has no problem coming home again

By herself. Some day I would like another one, but that is so I could go carting with someone else at times

Or drive a teem. Till then, my girl is just fine where she is.

I had an Arabian mare who was very attached to me, she had the whole barn to herself and was very spoiled. My vet said she needed a friend so I go a little mini gelding for her to be with and guess what? She wanted to literally kill him. So I had to separate them. This is also how I started with mini horses twenty years ago lol I still have that mini today, he will be twenty one this spring.

Some horses thrive by themselves, and some are social that get depressed without a herd, so in my experience it depends on the individual horse.

My mini Sugar is great on her own but on the other hand I have a pony that hates being on her own. She can't go with the minis because she is just a little too big at 12 h so since we cant find a companion her size we are selling her to a home with others her size. She is very lonely and depressed most days.

Back in the day when i bought my very first horse, a quarter horse, I had no idea they needed a companion of their own species. She was boarded at a small farm and the only horse there. There were a couple of goats and a cow, but no other horses. I was in dreamland back then and thought she was going to respond well to me like a dog, again never giving any thought to having another horse. We were bonded and I spent a lot of time with her daily and things were very good.

There were trail riders who'd pass by and then she would go crazy, pacing the fenceline so excited to see them, hollering for them and chasing them on the inside of the fence wanting to go with them. I felt sorry for her but still never considered buying another horse just to keep her company. I never joined up with the trail riders because I didn't know the people so we rode alone. She was also quite young and I had so little knowledge then but now I realize she was very lonely and depressed. Eventually we moved to a boarding stable where she had lots of horses to play with. There was a noticable difference in her and she became very high spirited being with stablemates she could run and play with. That's the only time I ever had an only horse. A few months later I did buy another horse but not intentionally to keep her company. I just wanted another one to ride too.

I have one mini that is boarded at a barn with all big horses. He is fine with that. I work with him everyday either driving him or letting him run in the indoor arena. He gets lots of attention from all the people at the barn too I know that this is not acceptable to a lot of mini people but he is turned out with my daughters big horse. They get along fine and have fun with each other. So I think one horse is very doable

I think it totally depends on the individual horse and perhaps the age at which you acquire said horse. I have only had experience with a full sized only mare and although I spent hours every day with her she really missed the company of other horses and started to spook when I'd ride her. She had been raised around other horses, had spent her time in a barn with other horses and despite the assurances from the seller she'd be fine alone she wasn't. But I know other people who have only horses and they do just fine and there's a lot to be said for an only horse as they get all your undivided attention.

I now have only one mini horse. Lost my job, working full time on the dairy farm with my husband... money is tight and it was a very tough decision. My boy I shared is now living with my friend I share him with. I understand your guidelines about not wanting to be flamed for only owning one horse. When I was a teen I owned one biggie. Boarded him and it worked out great and he was turned out in a herd of other horses so that worked just fine.

When I started with minis I got kind of potato chippy and ended up with three which was really too much for me to give any one enough individual attention. I trained each daily but even on bath day it was a strain grooming and bathing three and when the farrier came at $35 each I felt the strain. So.. I tried two. Have had two for awhile and then our situation changed quite a bit when I lost my job of 32 years. And so, just prior to buying my winter hay I am trying my heart boy (in my avitar) living back with his other mommy I share him with.

The first day I almost called her to bring him back when she was only gone an hour. My boy I kept was stressed. But then I had a thought... I moved the goat to another pasture the same day. I moved the goat back and my boy relaxed and looked so happy to have his goat back. They are separated by a fence because although he loves his goat, he doesn't want his goat in his face and sharing space. I moved two more of my goats into the connecting pasture, they share a fence line and my solo mini horse is really content and relaxed. He loves his goat company and seeing them and now that I have only one horse I find I have more time to do the things I love to do like brushing, picking feet...taking farm walks. I also am thinking about starting to line drive again. I had given up driving for various reasons one of which was not enough time to keep him fit and driving.

I find he is more in tune to me. He is right in my back yard and I walk by and see him all day long. If I had to drive somewhere to see him I don't know that he would be as happy but that would be because it is difficult for me to get off the farm, not that I think folks can't have quality time seeing their horse at a boarding place..

Stallions are raised in paddocks separate all the time and I think as long as they can see other horses or goats and activity to keep the boredom down I think single horse arrangements can work out just fine depending on how you as an owner approach the situation. I love those potato chips and would drool to have a bomb proof driving boy, but then again, I love my chubby short sortof odd little boy and when I remember plunking down 800 bucks last year on hay and only pay $35 instead of $70 every time the farrier comes, and then again... dental floating, shots... etc etc. I think I have made a wise decision. I always said... If I cannot afford to take care of my horses the way they should be, i would have less or no horses. I don't skip on care due to financial reasons. I don't feel guilty only having one horse. He is very happy. Were he not happy he would let me know because he is like that in personality.

My trainer lost one of her two horses tragically and has had one biggie for a couple of years with a goat sharing a fence line. Her horse has been happy. She is doing potatochips soon and getting two more young horses to love and train, but she told me her single boy has been quite content in the solo arrangement. She rents a barn away from her home but spends lots of time with her horses by driving to the rented barn.

Hope this ramble comes out right and helps you. take care and best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I bought my first horse years ago I kept him at home all by himself and he seemed to enjoy the quiet and the space. It provided me the opportunity to bond closely with him and he quickly became my best friend. Infact years later when I bought my first mini, he disliked having another horse on the property and having to share my attention. I personally felt better connected with the one when I could focus all of my attention on him. Today, with over 30 horses in the barn I feel as if none of us have as close of a bond as my first horse and I did just because there isn't enough time in the day.

My little Wiseguy was lonesome here without another horse. He had goat friends right next to him in their own pen but you could tell he wished he was around other horses. He didn't speak goat:) He felt like he was living in a foreign country.

He was 10 years old and a gelding and he was boarded at a stable when I bought him 1 1/2 years ago. He is my first horse. I just love his sweet personality.

When we would go out in the neighborhood walking or driving, you could see this look on his face that said "Other horses, I'd like to be with them." I was walking him last month and he saw another horse being walked. We passed one another after stopping and chatting with the peeps. We took off again and Wiseguy stopped, turned around and said "I think I'll go home with that horse." Of course I said "No, you have to go home with me little fellow."

We ended up getting another horse, finally, and you can see Wiseguy just looks more content and less lonely. We have them in pens near each other. The new guy is 15 and was gelded 9 weeks ago. He is doing pretty good here although a bit stressed by all the changes. We are not sure when but we will be trying to put them together. That probably needs to be a thread of its own:)

I have a big mare that had her companion of 8 or 9 years literally drop dead while playing with her. She was a freaking wreck pacing, screaming, on and off feed and looking for him for about 2 weeks. I would think it was from the loss of a friend though, not the alone factor.

After about a month, she adjusted VERY well. However, she was an only foal (aka a SPOILED foal) that identified better with people than horses. She is a "fear biter." She is terrified of any horse bigger than her, and shows it by obsessively trying to dominate. She needed a red ribbon at shows, however, a kid on a pony could practically be up her butt and we wouldnt have an issue, but a 16hh hunter tries to so much as pass her, she would tense right up, ears went back, and she'd kick out if you didn't aggressively stop her from doing it. Weird, I know.

She was alone for about 4 mos. Never had an issue. She hates nature, so we honestly didn't even turn her out. When we did, she would just stand by the gate anyway and whinny for the goat, then chase him through the fence away from her if we put him outside >__<. She's always liked people more, and never had an issue. When we purchased the then yearling, he came onto the property blowin' and snortin' (unhandled then stud colt) and all she did was push her hay over to her stall opening (stall guard only for her!) so she could see, never lifted her head.

It all depends on the horse. A solitary animal tossed in a field and never so much as looked at i think would drive any horse nuts, however, be careful that your horse is "still a horse." Don't make him too reliant on people!

The first horse I bought, the seller had kept him all by himself on a huge property for a couple years. I brought him to a boarding stable and he was beside himself to see other horses! It did make me so sad to know he had been in solitary confinement, seeing how happy he was to finally be with others that spoke his language.

Horses are social animals (not just an opinion), and we do keep some in their own paddocks here (our stallions). However, they spend A LOT of time socializing through the fence, including with each other (the stallions are affectionate with each other through the fence).

Thank you to all who responded! My horse is boarded in his own paddock with over the fence access to other horses. I have owned him for many years, and he seems not to care very much about other horses and does fine traveling alone on a trailer, going out for drives, and being in the barn by himself.

My finances are become more and more tight, and boarding is quite a chunk of change compared with what it would cost to keep him at my house. Last year, I built a shelter and fenced off an area of our yard, and brought him home. He was somewhat unsettled for two days, but started to settle in. Unfortunately, I was an emotional wreck. I kept second guessing myself, and thinking that I had done a terrible thing because horses are social herd animals. I was constantly checking on him- even all night long. Then we had an earthquake, which never happens here. And then a big hurricane was coming, which also worried me! (In truth, I was suffering from anxiety, which I have since addressed) So I brought him back to where he was boarded. Since that time, I've been going back and forth as to the best thing to do. I don't feel that I need to rush into any decisions.

I could get a second mini, as keeping both (even with the vet and farrier bills) is cheaper than boarding one. But I'm not sure that I want to make that commitment. When I commit to an animal, it is a lifelong commitment, so I don't want to rush into something unless I really feel that it is the right thing to do. So thank you all for sharing!

Back