Arenosa

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two ASPC/AMHR girls with Arenosa breeding, they both are double bred granddaughters of Kewpie's Classic Mucho of Arenosa, have four crosses to Kewpie's Doll Oracle. And both their granddam's on the bottom are full sisters.
default_wacko.png
If I am remembering correctly Kewpie's Doll Oracle is the grandsire to Rowdy and I have 4 others with Rowdy behind them, 3 of which are double bred.

Anyway, here is a picture of Hite's LW My O' My aka Mia.

mia-1.jpg

Mia is going to be bred to Buckeye WCF Stainless Steel an ASPC/AMHR 33 1/4" stallion owned by Ernie Lambdin this Spring. Can't wait!
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
My gelding that is pictured in my avatar has Arenosa wayyy back in his pedigree: Winnie the Pooh of Arenosa. I have pics of her somewhere here (not good ones) was his great granddam (maternal).

I think it's like anything else, and the further you get away from the line, the less likely they are to resemble that "type."

I would argue again, that a farm name is just that, though I will ALSO concede that Ms. Barrett definitely had a great vision, and she went about her goals very well. The consistency of type that is seen from horses with that lineage is amazing to me.

There ARE horses that are less than ideal or don't fit the mold, but then again, Ms. Barrett is not here reproducing these horses of her lineage. Other people, with other visions are. Still, it's a great place to start and many of them are wonderful for many reasons.

I took a compliment earlier this year when a judge asked me if my weanling colt was Arenosa. I took it to mean that he resembled the nice qualities of those horses, though he is not a bit Arenosa.

This is a good thread! I have seen some beautiful horses here...MiniV's palomino stallion was one of the first that I ever noticed, back in '98 in Walla Walla, with Lori at the lead. That stallion just glows with something that is intangible and so hard to describe. More than just the sum of his parts and I hope that makes sense.

Liz

Liz, I'm thrilled that you remembered our "El D" after all these years!

Just thought you'd like to know that Winnie the Pooh was supposed to have been Mrs. Barrett's favorite mare!

And yes, if a judge ever asked me if my homegrown cold was Arenosa, I would definitely take that as a compliment!
default_yes.gif

MA

I have a 100% ASPC/AMHR Palomino Stallion that I just recently purchased. His Sire is Bristol El Dorado and his Dam is Bristol Chispa. He is trained for driving and will be shown in 2008. Uno is such a nice stallion and I look forward to showing him.
default_aktion033.gif
I am now on the lookout for a couple of ASPC/AMHR mares to breed him to for next year and may possibly be interested in leasing them with a breeding back to him when the mares go home. Below is a picture of him in pasture condition.
default_smile.png

unostand.jpg

I was fortunate enough to be the last owner of Winnie the Pooh of Arenosa - I spent many hours in conversation with Audrey Barrett before she passed away - she told me such wonderful, whimsical stories about her ponies and her obvious love for them was easily transmitted thru the phone lines.
default_wub.png

When I called her about being a possible "last home" for Winnie I was treated to a long list of "Winnie's favorite things" - of paramount importance was to let her wander the aisle first thing in the morning during feeding and let her beg for treats - preferrably apple fritters or cinnamon toast -- I personally found that she had a fondness for Poptarts as well. :DOH!

When I acquired Winnie she was a grand old 24 years old - and I will never forget the awe I felt when she walked down my barn aisle. All I could think of was "Boy have I got a long way to go in order to EVER be able to breed a miniature as beautiful as this". She was a regal mare, she "placed" her feet - she did not just walk - each step was precision and with each step she surveyed her domain (now, in truth I am not sure if it didn't have something to do with the onset of going blind - but the overall look was one of regal disdain!). She was a beautiful mare, with long, slender legs, short back with a beautiful, archy neck, high tailset that she always carried in a "flag" - and THE MOST BEAUTIFUL head - huge, "Jersey-cow" eyes, tapered muzzle with flaring nostrils, short, tight-tipped ears and itty bitty little teeth - right at 34" tall - she would still be considered one of the most beautiful mares you could ever see.

Although she never gave me a foal, I loved her deeply and have founded much of my breeding program in trying to create a similar look with my own bloodlines. Winnie the Pooh's blood runs thru so many of the prominent Arenosa horses that we have all come to love - I look at them and think back to Winnie and the warm feeling I get in knowing that Winnie was so treasured all her life and continues to be treasured even in her passing. Winnie peacefully passed at the ripe age of 30 -- her ashes still rest in my bookcase in our living room.

Stacy

Stacy, thankyou for your story of Winnie. I have searched and searched for a decent picture of that mare as she is heavy in all of my horses pedigree. The only 2 pictures I have of her are blurry and not good quality at all, and look as if they were taken at the same time. If you have one and would share I sure would love to have one of her.

She sounds as if she was a lovely mare, inside and out. I am sure i would have loved her too. Thanks again for sharing.
default_wub.png

Please add me to the "Arenosa" fan club! I fell in love with these little beauties for all the same reasons folks have expressed in this thread! I have eight with various degrees of Arenosa blood from 12.5% to 100% and was honored to have the 2006 AMHR National Grand Champion Mare, Under; Sundance LB Que~Tee, who is one of the beautiful Arenosa Van-Lo Overo blends, carrying 37.5% Arenosa blood. My senior herd sire is also Arenosa/Van-Lo and is ASPC/AMHR/AMHA registered. We are expecting five Arenosa related foals in 2008 including Que~Tee's
default_aktion033.gif

I have a 100% ASPC/AMHR Palomino Stallion that I just recently purchased. His Sire is Bristol El Dorado and his Dam is Bristol Chispa. He is trained for driving and will be shown in 2008. Uno is such a nice stallion and I look forward to showing him.
default_aktion033.gif
I am now on the lookout for a couple of ASPC/AMHR mares to breed him to for next year and may possibly be interested in leasing them with a breeding back to him when the mares go home. Below is a picture of him in pasture condition.
default_smile.png

unostand.jpg

Thank you for posting, Kim.........It's nice to see your new boy........

We still own his dam, Chispa, as well. She's one of those mares who will probably always look like a "filly"!

MA

We have a 75 percent Arenosa horse.. and there personalities shine thru. I find them to be very much one person horses. Our horse Paco LOVES RAVEN he has from day one and is a totally different horse with her then he is with me- so I just gave him to her
default_biggrin.png

He is not trusting of me and will listen but never give me his heart.. with raven he will do anything she asks of him - obstacles (which is amazing i cant get him to walk over or thru a mud puddle) jumping, showmanship you name it he does it for her and comes running to the fence every time he hears her voice. So she has obviously taken over his training and conditioning and she will be showing him in 2008

pacoshow.jpg

Latest posts

Back