Arenosa

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LC Farm

Reaction score
I was wondering how may of you have arenosa in your minis? I love thier floaty trot and their spirited attidude. I have been reading about it and found it quite interesting. I have 2 that are 25% and one on the way for an 08 foal i can't wait to see what we get. Flaby's Supreme is the sire to all three. I would love to hear your thoughts

default_biggrin.png
I have a whole barn full of them, 100% and everything inbetween. Most are training horses that are owned by Sundance LB Stock Farm www.sundancelb.com or you can go to my site and see what we have at www.heartlranch.com, I also have a few Establo bred horses that are also to die for.

I find them to be elegnant, extremely intelligent and just plain beautiful to look at. I am blessed to have been introduced to them. My first experence was with a stallion that Miniv has, Bristol El Dorado and he is one that touched my heart deeply. I am sure you will hear similar stories from many others here on the board who have this incredable line.

default_yes.gif
We have 100 percent, 75 percent, and 50 percent Arenosa in our herd. And we enjoy them for their movement, their conformation, and attitude!

Plus, speaking as the primary "midwife" during foaling, there have been virtually no problems. And the foals have all been very quick to be up and nursing..........which is an added bonus.

MA

PS: Lori of Heart L Ranch showed us about the training of these remarkable horses.......that if you gain their trust, they will be loyal to you forever! Thank you Lori!

Last edited by a moderator:
default_biggrin.png
I have a whole barn full of them, 100% and everything inbetween. Most are training horses that are owned by Sundance LB Stock Farm www.sundancelb.com or you can go to my site and see what we have at www.heartlranch.com, I also have a few Establo bred horses that are also to die for.

I find them to be elegnant, extremely intelligent and just plain beautiful to look at. I am blessed to have been introduced to them. My first experence was with a stallion that Miniv has, Bristol El Dorado and he is one that touched my heart deeply. I am sure you will hear similar stories from many others here on the board who have this incredable line.

I loved looking at you herd

I have a 25% Arenosa 2007 filly. Her sire is Congress champion, congress & world champion producer Buckeye WCF Classical Magic who is 50% Arenosa. She is ASPC and going to mature 44'' ..not a mini but she is arenosa as well, and yes .. a very floaty trot and allot of spirt lol.

Alpha Farms Magical Melody-

She is a grandaughter of Kewpies Amada Of Arenosa, and a great granddaughter of Kewpies Topper Of Arenosa. She is a 3/4 sister to Alpha Farms Classical Bobcat as well
default_smile.png

12-2.jpg

H00485_AlphaFarmsMagicMelody_200709.jpg

kittywittysitting.jpg

One of my faverite Arenosa stallions is Getitia's Papo, he is breathtaking in person
default_new_shocked.gif

Yup guilty here too. All but one of my herd is Arenosa or Arenose blend.

I also have had many in training. Many think if them as hot or hard to handle and I truly have not found this. Yes they have spirit, but like Mini V said, if they trust you they will walk through fire for you.

They really do have a beauty and elegance about them that makes it wonderful to look out in my pasture or walk through my barn as it is very consistent and they all have that "look". Feel free to come on by the web site and have a looksy. I am in the process of updating so excuse my construction.

Also I know Supreme well, Congratulations on you upcoming foals.

Here is an interesting read about the arenosa horses and how they got the name and a little history. I enjoyed it
default_smile.png
. Its mostly the shetland side of the story, but both go hand in hand really
default_smile.png

The Arenosa Pony Farm Story

by Scott Uzzel

The story of the famed Arenosa Pony Farm started in 1941, when Audrey and Clinton Barrett first came to Victoria, Texas. At that time, most of the local cowboys had gone into the military, leaving the ranch work to the women, children, and those too old for the draft. Audrey, a former Miss Arkansas Ranch Girl, had owned a riding academy in Arkansas and was an expert horsewoman. With an outstanding string of cow horses, she found plenty of work on the local ranches. Children of friends and neighbors were always asking Audrey to ride her saddle horses, which she did not allow. A couple of grade ponies were purchased to occupy these area children. Later some mares were added to raise a few foals to help defray the cost of keeping the ponies. Arenosa Pony Farm was born.

The lives of many Victoria area children were enriched through Audrey Barrett and her Arenosa Shetland ponies Several local children who were headed down the wrong path were righted by the efforts of Audrey and her mission to introduce youngsters to the joys of working with Shetlands. Over the years, Audrey worked with hundreds of children, sometimes as many as 20 at a time, with some being as young as two years old.

“During the summer months, the parents had to come out here to visit their children,” Audrey said.

People often wonder where the Arenosa name originated. At one time the Barretts were going to raise ponies on a farm owned by Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Readding, along Arenosa (Spanish for dry) Creek in Victoria County. That plan did not develop, but because ponies had been entered in several shows under the Arenosa banner, the name stuck.

In the late 1950s the Barretts began acquiring nationally known show ponies for their breeding program, including Richardson’s C-Jo Topper, a “Top Ten” harness pony and son of the $56,000 C-Jo’s Topper. Others included Atkinson’s Hillswicke Dark Fancy, by Hillswicke Oracle; Richardson’s Pete of Fable Stables, an under 40” son of six-time national grand champion Curtiss-Frisco Pete; Supreme’s Gold Nugget of Royal Crescent, a son of the $85,000 Supreme’s Bit of Gold; and Fran R.’s Althea Cody, a national futurity winner by Silver Mane’s Frisco Cody.

Many other royally bred Shetlands entered the Arenosa breeding program, as the Barretts sometimes purchased entire herds of ponies from breeders who were dispersing, keeping the best and culling the rest. Some of the top foundation stock came from Mrs. Lloyd Richardson of Aransas Pass, Texas, who let Audrey have first pick before dispersing her ponies.

Over the years, however, the Arenosa name has become synonymous with one illustrious Shetland sire: Kewpie Doll’s Oracle 27889A. Foaled in 1950, this exquisite 39”, black and white stallion was sired by Hillswicke Oracle 24491A, one of the breed’s most influential sires, and a national champion in hand and harness.

The dam of Kewpie Doll’s Oracle, Streamliner’s Kewpie Doll 25066A, was the greatest model mare of her time, winning the blue at the National Shetland Congress in 1948 and 1949.

Dr. E.S. McClelland, Aledo, Illinois, purchased Kewpie Doll’s Oracle at the Perry Carlile Sale in 1954. When McClelland dispersed his Shetlands in 1956, the sale catalog offered the following excerpt about Kewpie Doll’s Oracle:

“Irregardless of their likes and dislikes, everyone who has seen this pony has kind words for him. He leaves a lasting impression that few can equal ... With a natural spring to every stride, Kewpie has the greatest pair of natural hocks we have ever seen. Without benefit of training, he literally ‘boxes’ with his hind feet.”

On a bid of $5,100, Kewpie Doll’s Oracle went to E.C. Adams, Sr., Blue Springs, Missouri, where he enjoyed a successful show career in model and fine harness classes. But it was in the hands of J.A. Stovall, Era, Texas, who owned the stallion from 1959 to 1967, that Kewpie Doll’s Oracle came into his own as a sire. From 1961 through 1963 his get dominated the hand and group classes at the Congress, thanks primarily to the 5-G Pony farm show string owned by J.W. Griffith, Longview, Texas.

From Stovall’s, Kewpie Doll’s Oracle went to Bob Reinhardt in Louisiana, then to Texan Buck Bucheit, who presented the stallion to young Nancy Barrett as a gift. While at Arenosa, Kewpie Doll’s Oracle sired many top ponies, including the sorrel and white stallion, Kewpie’s Topper of Arenosa 128828A, the sire of many champions in both The Classic American Shetland and Miniature Horse divisions.

“He certainly had the ability to transmit quality,” Audrey Barrett said of Kewpie Doll’s Oracle. “To see him move was a joy to behold. He passed that down, too.”

Kewpie Doll’s Oracle passed away at Arenosa in 1973 In addition to Kewpie’s Topper of Arenosa, he left behind another famous son in the Arenosa stallion battery, Kewpie Doll’s Diablo 84342A. Diablo was bred by J.A. Stovall, and was described in the 1961 Stovall Production Sale catalog as “the most beautiful stud in the sale.” Diablo was purchased by J.W. Griffith and joined the vaunted 5-G show string. Edna Kratz, Mesquite, Texas, bought Diablo at the 5-G dispersal sale in 1964, and exhibited the sorrel and white dynamo in under roadster classes throughout the Southwest.

The Barretts bought Diablo in 1969 for Nancy to show, with the stipulation that he never be sold. Throughout the early 1970s, Diablo amassed wins in the roadster stake at San Antonio, Dallas, and Pin Oak on the old Southwest circuit, defeating several national champion road ponies along the way.

With this caliber of show ponies in the stallion battery, one would expect the Barrett’s breeding program to gain national prominence. But the Arenosa program went beyond that, gaining international recognition, and becoming the leading exporter of Shetland Ponies in the United States for several years. Arenosa Shetlands have been sold to Canada, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Guatemala, and other Latin American countries.

The Latin American market proved to be especially lucrative during the 1970s, when the Shetland market was at its lowest ebb in the United States. Over a period of 20 years, Senor Perotti of Guatemala, an importer of fine livestock from Europe and the United States, imported dozens of Arenosa Shetlands. His son of Diablo, Painted Indian, was named grand champion stallion of Central America at a show in Honduras. Arenosa Shetlands were also owned by the mayor of Monterrey, Mexico, and the president of Honduras.

At a time when crossbreeding to Hackneys was rampant in the Shetland breed, Audrey Barrett steadfastly refused to crossbreed. Instead, she intensely line-bred her ponies in order to retain as much closeness to Kewpie Doll’s Oracle as possible. The average size of the Arenosa ponies was 40”. However, many were small enough to be registered as Miniature Horses, as well. Two of the better known Arenosa miniatures were the many-times-champion F.W.F. Charro of Arenosa and Juana Machete of Arenosa. Three Arenosa animals were entered in Volume 1 of the American Miniature Horse Registry Stud Book, all with their Shetland pedigrees intact!

During the 1980s, Audrey rejected several lucrative offers from prominent Miniature Horse breeders to buy her entire herd of Classic American Shetlands.

“I couldn’t imagine living my life without Shetland Ponies,” she said. “I tell them that they don’t have enough money to buy me out. The ponies bring me more pleasure than the money ever could.”

Arenosa was at the forefront of the Classic American Shetland movement that began in the early 1980s. When the first annual National Classic American Shetland All-Stars were announced in 1983, three of the top five stallions, three of the top five mares, and two of the top five pleasure driving ponies were Arenosa owned and bred. Kewpie’s Gabriella of Arenosa 132389A was the first National All-Star Champion Classic Mare. Kewpie’s Topper of Arenosa was the Reserve Champion Classic Stallion.

At the 1992 annual meeting of the American Shetland Pony Club, Audrey Barrett was inducted into the ASPC People Hall of Fame, a fitting tribute to a lifetime devoted to raising the finest in Classic American Shetland Ponies

Also, here is a another link ..

http://www.americanshetlandpony.com/arenosaponies.html

We have four AMHR/ASPC horses that are 100% Arenosa....
default_biggrin.png
They are a little more "wired" than your average Mini, but boy, can they MOVE! We just love to watch them in the field. It DOES take a little longer for them to trust you, and all four were never handled until we got them as weaners. My colt (now gelding) was so wild when we got him you literally had to rope him as he flew around the stall. Then, one day, it was like the light clicked on in his head. He walked up to me and I caught him fine. Now he's in a large field and HE is the easiest to catch!

The babies are still a little wild, one is easily caught, the filly can be caught in a stall but not the field, and the colt needs cornered. BUT.... considering how they were when we got them, this is a great improvement! And we're patient with them.

I think they're gorgeous!

Lucy

3 of my 7 minis are Arenosa blends. They really do have a special look and attitude. They seem to be born show horses! All of mine are very trusting and wonderful for me. I love them! Mine all have one common ancestor that I adore, Sundance LB Troubadour. Tru is the sire of Esprit and Colors, and the grandsire of Gaia. I wasn't really shopping for a horse myself when I first saw Tru. I was "along for the ride," with one of my friends who was shopping (dangerous!). Troubadour is really something else! I ended up buying two horses that summer, Gaia, and son, Esprit. This summer I bought a 3/4 sister to Esprit. I have no regrets, and look forward to seeing what this will do for my small breeding program in the future! I will be showing all three of these this coming season.

I truly love your ESPRIT!
default_wub.png
Of course you know that! Wouldn't mind having him in my pasture at all....as if you would ever part with him! Mary

3 of my 7 minis are Arenosa blends. They really do have a special look and attitude. They seem to be born show horses! All of mine are very trusting and wonderful for me. I love them! Mine all have one common ancestor that I adore, Sundance LB Troubadour. Tru is the sire of Esprit and Colors, and the grandsire of Gaia. I wasn't really shopping for a horse myself when I first saw Tru. I was "along for the ride," with one of my friends who was shopping (dangerous!). Troubadour is really something else! I ended up buying two horses that summer, Gaia, and son, Esprit. This summer I bought a 3/4 sister to Esprit. I have no regrets, and look forward to seeing what this will do for my small breeding program in the future! I will be showing all three of these this coming season.

My gelding that is pictured in my avatar has Arenosa wayyy back in his pedigree: Winnie the Pooh of Arenosa. I have pics of her somewhere here (not good ones) was his great granddam (maternal).

I think it's like anything else, and the further you get away from the line, the less likely they are to resemble that "type."

I would argue again, that a farm name is just that, though I will ALSO concede that Ms. Barrett definitely had a great vision, and she went about her goals very well. The consistency of type that is seen from horses with that lineage is amazing to me.

There ARE horses that are less than ideal or don't fit the mold, but then again, Ms. Barrett is not here reproducing these horses of her lineage. Other people, with other visions are. Still, it's a great place to start and many of them are wonderful for many reasons.

I took a compliment earlier this year when a judge asked me if my weanling colt was Arenosa. I took it to mean that he resembled the nice qualities of those horses, though he is not a bit Arenosa.

This is a good thread! I have seen some beautiful horses here...MiniV's palomino stallion was one of the first that I ever noticed, back in '98 in Walla Walla, with Lori at the lead. That stallion just glows with something that is intangible and so hard to describe. More than just the sum of his parts and I hope that makes sense.

Liz

OH....I just love my Arenosa stallion.

He is hands down my favorite mini on the farm.

They just seem to always have the " Look at me"

thing going on.

Image4.jpg

Just wanted to add, I just went and looked at all the pics/web sites.

There are some breathtaking horses on there.

Lori at Heart L Ranch....I think I have a sister to AClassic Touch Pestilla - HOF

What is her pedigree?

Lori at Heart L Ranch....I think I have a sister to AClassic Touch Pestilla - HOF

What is her pedigree?

Pestilla aka "Tia" is a beautiful mare which I had the honor of showing in 2007 and bringing her to her Halter HOF is sired by Kewpie's Rango of Arenosa out of AClassic Touch Dulce Rojo.

Deb Boosalis purchased her from Mel & Dorothy in 2004 and I know Dorothy enjoyed watching her progress until her untimely death right before the AMHR National show.

What is her pedigree?

Pestilla aka "Tia" is a beautiful mare which I had the honor of showing in 2007 and bringing her to her Halter HOF is sired by Kewpie's Rango of Arenosa out of AClassic Touch Dulce Rojo.

I thought she looked familiar. I have the 2005 model of that same breeding.

I only have baby pics. She is much better looking now

118_1850.jpg

118_1814.jpg

We too have several beautiful Arenosa and Arenosa related horses. I absolutely LOVE them. I have spent several years builing our program and have finally started seeing the rewards from our hard work. The babies that hit the ground this year were absolutely wonderful.

I have had the honor of being at the end of the lead of many Arenosa's and absolutely love thier personalities. As stated by many others, once you win thier trust, which you MUST earn, there is nothing they won't do for you.

Steve and Terry who own Sundance LB allowed us to purchase several of their outstanding horses. We have since added a few more Establo mares to our herd. The combination has been great.

Feel free to visit our website to view some of our wonderful mares and stallion and babies. We will be blessed with several babies in 2008, so be sure and check back in.....

tripleheartranch.net

desihead.jpg

Flaby's Supreme is the sire to all three. I would love to hear your thoughts
We also have a Flabys Supreme son. He is something else. I considered selling him, because his foals make up the new generation of our breeding program, but I'm going to hang onto him for my new mares. I also had the pleasure of briefly owning a Supreme daughter, and she was a spitfire too.

I truly love your ESPRIT!
default_wub.png
Of course you know that! Wouldn't mind having him in my pasture at all....as if you would ever part with him! Mary
Thank you so much Mary! I am sure you will forgive me if I say NO, I will NEVER part with him! He is not only my handsome lil' boy, he is also one of my best lil' buddies! He just keeps getting better and better, that is for sure. I am really looking forward to showing he and his little sis this coming year! I think she is going to be a big wow also! Gotta love them!
default_biggrin.png

I have a little cutie, her name is Miss Ariella, her great grandmother is Kewpie's Fairy Princess of Arenosa, She is 2 years old and ver friskie. I wanted to show her but don't know anything about showing. Her pedigree is very good.

Latest posts

Back