Are you done your Christmas shopping?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reignmaker Miniatures

Reaction score
Between heavy snowfalls making the roads unfit for travel without a 4x4, the city crews threatening strike and having a work slow down, vehicle problems and a death in the family (lost my brother on Tuesday this week) I have only just begun my shopping. I've gotten my son's gift but that's it. I still have to shop for my daughter, daughter's staff and room mate, son's GF, my 'adopted' grandkids and their parents and a couple of other individuals we give a little something too. We have decided not to shop for each other this year and just use that money on something we both want after Christmas. I have never been so late with completing my gift shopping but I'm struggling to feel the spirit of the season too so It's hard to get to it. I also haven't decorated the house and haven't put up the tree. Gah
default_closedeyes.gif
... anyone else falling so far behind they wish they could delay Christmas for another week or so?

I understand your situation, so sorry for the loss of your brother. I feel behind this year as well, but I cannot delay Christmas Day, it is coming ready or not, but I have decided that if I cannot do my usual decorations, half will have to do. I bet family will be understanding anyway, at my age I should be forgiven for being slow! I finally began my tree last night and half the lights don't work. I have many years worth of ornaments that are horses in all forms, add the special vintage ones, so they will go on the tree with the ones I kept that my kids made when little and to heck with the lights. It will be pretty anyway. Hope your snow will let up and you can do some shopping.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I shop for Christmas year-round so that I can give thoughtful gifts (instead of wracking my brain last minute... If someone mentions something they like, I get it), don't strain my bank account, and spend December wrapping and just relaxing and enjoying the season (baking instead of shopping). I have a couple Rubbermaid tubs dedicated to present storage. Been doing this for about ten years and it's the best.

Reignmaker; you know from my posts on 'what's for dinner tonight' that I have the bum ankle and on crutches. Was able to get the shopping done, mostly thanks to my Mother coming and taking me out (her job mainly being the cart pusher, bag carrier LOL!) But as far as decorating indoors-nope! Everything is up or downstairs (harder to get to) and I can't carry it. So I have to wait until Sunday for my Hubby to help. There's some pieces of furniture to rearrange so tables can be set up for the Christmas Eve dinner. And the little artificial tree will go up this year. He THINKS it's out in the garage. My son brought the giant storage tub of tree/house decorations up today. He wanted to borrow some ornament hangers, so I told him to bring the whole tub up. Usually I decorate a few weeks before Christmas and take it down New Year's day.

Sorry to hear about your brother also. Makes it sadder at this time of year too, I'm sure. I hope you are able to find some cheer and peace in the very smallest of blessings. They are there, but it is hard to see them when things are tough.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. It is very difficult but the blessing is he is truly at peace. He was very spiritual and active at his church, told many friends that god would decide when his time came. I am grateful to have been able to be with him at the end and I accept that his passing was the best thing for him. I am still grieving in spite of all that but trying to put it aside and remember how he loved Christmas and getting together with family and celebrate this time of year for him.

My husband and I will probably go out tonight and try to get the shopping done or at least a portion of it. I at least know what I want to get everyone. Disneyhorse, I would love to do as you do but every time I've tried that the dang people on my list end up getting the item I've chosen for themselves since the rule in our family is no shopping in the month of December for yourself lol. That means in August they can get that thing they mentioned in June and I have something I didn't need and no gift again. I will probably skip the house decorating, just do a tree and a few small things for shelves and accept that it is not the bells and tinsel that makes the day but the warm feelings and laughter. Oh and I have house guests coming on Monday too assuming they can get here over the snowy hiways.
default_pray.gif

So sorry for your loss.

I am done shopping and wrapping, but for a couple the gifts seem lame. Those getting lame gifts are mostly because they bought for themselves what I had in mind.

So sorry for your loss of your brother. Hugs.

I too am behind this year. I have barely started shopping and we have 3 children, I have an undecorated tree in my living room and my house looks like a bomb went off. On top of that my mom has decided she is going to drive to visit on the 26th... that is another story all together.......

My husband had a heart attack back in October. He is doing great now, but the extra chores on the farm for the rest of us these last few weeks has got us all quite a bit behind, but still having him here with us is the best christmas ever. I have decided that it is ok to have a messy house, it is ok to have christmas presents that are late and we will deal with anything that comes along this year.

I had started to get stressed a couple of weeks ago about being behind for Christmas and then I slipped on the ice and got a head injury and then I stood up under a beam in the barn and messed up my neck, and then night before last I tripped and fell head first into a wheel barrow. After three head wacks I have decided to stop stressing, LOL... sometimes it takes a good knock on the head I guess to get the sense knocked into me.

Thanks for sharing... You are not alone. This weather this December has been awful. I am tired of walking with a cane and a shuffle step. It is near impossible to get out and shop. I get crabby cleaning. But for now, I am trying not to care so much and care about what really counts in the long run... Just trying to live each day like it might be your last day and try to be happy and gift people with laughter. My husband is a happy guy, he makes us laugh every day. When he was laid up so many folks came out of the woodwork to help us here on the farm. Our 14 year old daughter helped with the milking. Neighbors that didn't know one end of the cow from another and had never been around livestock came out to help feed the hay. They bottled calves. They brought us food. It was awesome. It also made me realise that my husbands kindness to everybody is contagious.

Bless you all this holiday season and say to yourself... What if I left this earth today... Would the shopping or the clean house or decorated tree mean as much as a hug, a kind word or a nice gesture be more important in the long run.

Merry Christmas from SE pa.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not finished and didn't do as much this year as usual.I did get the tree up and decorated in spite of very bad back issues(took me 4 hrs just to get it up and lights on-had to stop every 15 minutes due to pain)Last year no tree due to new big crazy shelter dog and knee replacement.I have decided whatever gets done that's it.I have a friend my age( 74) who kills herself at Christmas every year trying to have the perfect house that looks like a magazine where nobody lives in the house.she has a 12 foot tree and gets on a ladder to trim it.She gets sick every year and has a major meltdown with crying and the whole bit.I now go visit her before her family gets here and we can exchange gifts early.If I suggest that she do less her answer is that her family expects it.Not true.You do what you can and go from there.I have my Christmas presents all year long-my 3 dogs on the floor around me and my critters all safe and well fed in the barn.

Shorthorsemom, you have brought tears to my eyes. You and Bevann are right, I need to appreciate the good things in my life and the people who I love being around me and not sweat the stuff I can't/don't get to. My husband and I went shopping today and are nearly finished. I have one stop to make for gift cards for my special needs daughter to give her staff (its simple, inexpensive and still something they will use) and we'd have gotten to that too but instead we took some time out to have a visit with my son and his girl friend and a friend of my son's who has been nearly a member of our family and is in town to see his parents for Christmas. Way more important than getting more shopping done. My company has cancelled due to heath problems and may come after Christmas if they feel better then so things are getting simpler and Christmas will be just as wonderful as ever. Thanks again for all the kind thoughts on the loss of my brother and the reminder to slow down, relax and just enjoy the season however it happens.

Just finished making my Christmas candy.Now I have to break it up and box it.Wasn't going to do it this year and didn't do as much but my AWESOME mail carrier just loves it.II never have to go in to town for packages or to sign for anything.She brings it right to the back door and will even put it inside if I am not able to get it.She is a gem.I love to do things for people who are so thoughtful.

I'm so sorry about your brother
default_sad.png

There was no shopping to do. Secret Santa is what we can manage and what we have. I share opening those gifts with hubby and we enjoy our day together. Eat sandwiches and snacks and watch TV. Then give treats to all the 4 legged kids.

LOVE is the best gift of all
default_smile.png

That's our Christmas each year

Last edited by a moderator:
Reo, I would have guessed from reading your posts on here that you have your priorities in the right order.
default_yes.gif

We had the service for my brother in the small town about 1.5hrs away where he lived the last few years, at the church he began attending when he found god. In spite of horrible icy roads that scared the tar our of me, we saw a big turnout of those who cared deeply for him. The ladies from the church took time from their own busy Christmas preparations to host a coffee afterwards. The generosity of spirit he showed all his life was clear in the willingness of others to do what ever they could to help out at his memorial and it was so nice to hear from so many all the little kindnesses they remembered him for. The neighbour who's drive was cleared every morning after a snow with no asking and no acceptance of payment (its what neighbours do he said) The church member who's car wouldn't start so he loaned her his for several days while he worked to get hers back on the road. The young lady who had no car and couldn't afford driving lessons who he taught to drive and then loaned his car for her driving test. So many people who he helped out in small ways and larger ones with no thought to being paid by anything other than friendship. He was blessed with a kind heart and I know those he helped will see the world in a better light because of him. He left a lasting legacy of kindness and I am proud to say he was my brother.

Merry Christmas all, may you find love and peace all around you this holiday season.

I'm so sorry for your loss - if only there were more people like him around the world today it would certainly be a happier place.

Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Peaceful New Year.

Yes, I am! But, I still need to wrap the things. My side of the family won't celebrate until next weekend, so I can procrastinate a bit longer on part of it
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back