So how has everybody been? Are you all ready for Christmas??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks'thunder

Reaction score
Me NOOOO im so not ready for Christmas. I have to wait until the week before to buy my son his gift. Thats payday so it is what it is! lol!

I went out to the shed to get my Christmas tree(we have no basement or attic so thats where I have to keep everything locked up in rubber maid containers!) the day after Thanksgiving. Brought it in along with all my decorating containers, ornaments, wreaths, stuff like that. My son is in the house and after my 5 trip he says "mom, something smells really bad" . So I sniff around and sure enough it's the tree container. I drag it back outside and open it. Oh yeah you can guess..... my lovely mice have chewed through my rubber maid(huge tree size rubber maid that was fully duck taped) made a nest in my tree then died! This is the 3rd tree they have ruined! and this one was my favorite! I'm done! I have no other options for storage unless I keep it in my bed room, throw a table cloth over the box and use it as a table in off season!
default_giveup.gif
default_thumbdown.gif
I'm so scroogey this Christmas. I got so mad! I drug all those containers back out to the shed, almost hyperventilating thinking about the damage they may do to my stuff. Everyone is shocked that those dang mice chewed through plastic and duck tape! Oh well nothing I can do about it. I'm not buying a tree for 100 bucks right now. it's not possible. I guess I can wait until after Christmas and see if I can catch a sale.

Oh and work, work work thats all that new and exciting in my little life! LOL!

Hows everyone else?????

Not putting up my big tree this year with all my Painted ponies ornaments which I love. got a Dollar Tree tinsel tree that is about 12 inches tall on top of the TV cabinet. Candle lights in the windows and a swag on the front door.that's it for decorationsI will really miss it, but my knees and back are SOOO bad I'm just struggling to walk and get critters fed.maybe next year my knees will be better and I will be a cougar chasing young men

I'm sorry about your tree Leya
default_sad.png

I'm sorry you hurt so much Bevann

I'm not ready either. I never feel well but at times it's extra much. Plus I get depressed without any real Christmas (since I lost my grandparents) I'm having an extra hard time this year, been crying a lot. So much hubby needs that I want to get him and I can't get him anything. Well he has me and I'm quite a big package LOL

I have a fake tree for my sewing room. I used to try and cover it, but it just attracted mud daubers. Now I just stuff it in the barn out of the way. when I bring it in, I blow it off with the air compressor and it is as good as ever. No daubers or other critters bother it. A few spider webs, but that's all. And aren't spiders on Christmas trees supposed to be lucky?? I've been using it for several years.

I'm hosting Garden Club this month, so had to get the decorations up a little earlier than we usually do. Our main tree is a natural douglas fir. I've been using nests and birds for several years. Every year I have a few more found nests to use.

I have 4 FOUR December birthdays. Yikes. A few more gifts to look for. The Amazon Wish List is helpful.

Today I hope to photograph my horses wearing Santa hats. Monday, my sister and I are giving cart rides at an elementary school. Didn't do a parade this year, so it will be fun to use the sleigh bells for the students.

Busy time of year!

I am not really ready either. I did a lot of online shopping but not until this past week, had to pay for expedited shipping because I waited so long (once I get the gifts I have to wrap them and mail them out of state). I just didn't have the $ until this week. Everything around the houses is breaking or needs work so I had to put my $ into that....septic, garage door, both cars needed work, snowmobile and a few other house upkeep items. I don't use credit cards or dip into my savings so I just had to wait. I am going to the mall today to pick up the last few Christmas items. I do love giving gifts but I hate to shop...totally hate it...and I despise the mall...doesn't help that it's an hour just to get to one either.

I did get both houses decorated by Dec 1st so that was good. Only because I ordered 2 new trees and when they came through Amazon I went ahead and put them up.

Sorry about your tree, mice can really damage everything. We don't have basement or attics either so I store mine in the rafters of the garage/pole barns. I keep mouse poison everywhere. Because of the dogs I buy the pet safe kind or the kind that the mouse has to go in the plastic box to get to it and keep those boxes out of the reach of the dogs.

I'm not really into the Christmas spirit this year, I have to work Christmas Day, 4pm - midnight, not to mention now that my parents are both gone its just not the same.

I'm ready as I'll ever be. LOL!

Got our holiday decs up just after Thanksgiving. We do have a tree this year, first time in about 20 years! It was left by the previous owners when we moved in. It's pretty cool about 7 ft tall, prelit but real skinny, looks like a real tree, bark & all! We leave it up all year(minus decs) in a corner of the living room. The cats didn't bother I so we went ahead and put our meager ornaments on it.

Not much xmas gift buying this year. Had some hefty vet bills to cover (one kitty had breast cancer removed + 3 with ear problems to deal with and one fatal sinus problem). So we warned the family that their gift money went to keeping our babies healthy, Maybe next year it'll be better, IF WE EVER SELL OUR OLD HOUSE.

But we are happy, warm, and cozy in the new place!

Hope for everyone to have a heart warming Holiday Season!

I'm sorry about your tree. I'm sorry REO and bevann.

So much of our Christmas celebration, as well as other celebrations during the year, centers on family and home and when any part of that is lost, hurting, or damaged, it can be hard to focus on

the joy and beauty we still have in life.

I like bevann"s minimalist approach! Sometimes celebrating the season is enjoying small 'things' in a warm place and reflecting a little on a heart full of life - including the hurts - the thorns and roses.

Hug your critters - hug a neighbor - hug yourself !

Even though my decorations are minimal I play my Christmas music CDs-favorites are Il Divo and Celtic Woman.Played them yesterday and now can't get player to work.wonder where I put those directions?My best presents I have all years-my Corgis and my rescue German Shepherd who is such a love bug.I have never had a dog as affectionate as he is.Maybe he is just grateful for being out of the shelter and living the good life on the farm.He really loves his mommy and shows it.

I have only just started my Christmas shopping tho I just don't have the money this year to go overboard with presents. Ill go over to the shed on the weekend and see where I packed away my tree after last year.

Bevann- I had a corgi as a child his name was King (was my friend for life) I used to let him open my presents every year. I always made sure the last one he opened had something in it for him. He got so excited every year, will always remember him running under the xmas tree, trying to pull the decorations off
default_smile.png

Its still a couple of weeks away, but I hope you all have a very merry xmas and good health thru the holiday season and 2015.

This is my first Christmas as a member here and I have enjoyed every minute of it
default_smile.png

Thank you Reo for your dedication to the forum and all of your helpful ways for the members. It is appreciated I am sure by all.

Wow, seems like a lot of heartbreak this season (or maybe heart heaviness). Sorry to hear about but happy that everyone is warm and healthy during this Holiday season.

We,too, got the surprise of our lives for this Holiday Season. In a very UGLY way that has turned into a good and BEAUTIFUL thing. Get a cuppa' and settle back - this one gets long again!

I received a frantic call from my hubby in late Oct at 4:10 pm on a Wednesday... We'd just gotten served an eviction notice and had to be out by the following Tuesday (we had our youngest daughter, just turned 21 living back w/ us and her stuff stored in our shop; 4 dogs, 3 house kittens - all adopted in June, 2 in/out cats, 2 barn cats, 26 equines, 3 ducks and I've lost count of the number of chickens... all on 8 acres).

We lease our property - but the owner had gone thru foreclosure and we'd followed all the recommendations from our lawyer and from our VA Mortgage Realtor. Per their combined "orders" we didn't purchase the property when it went thru a foreclosure auction at a lower amount then we'd been told it would sell for and much lower then we'd been pre-approved to purchase - instead doing another "lease" contract thru the Mortgage Company and the VA Mortgage Realtor that allowed us to lease it while getting it into shape to pass a VA inspection (wouldn't pass at that time - part of why we didn't purchase it - loan wouldn't work for that as is)... Hmmm. No one in our families' or friends' had heard of such a thing and seems that it has now turned around and "bit us in the rear"...

Larry had already tried calling our lawyer, and the Mortgage rep we deal with as well as the bank - all we got was voicemail! (my thought - were they all in on it???)

I worked late after the phone call, but stopped at one place that stood empty that I'd been eyeing for several months. Turned out, it had just been turned over to the owners grandson and his wife to be... But I got contact info (a good thing!). Our oldest daughter was at our house when I arrived using the internet (hers isn't reliable) and she proceeded to show me what her and our SIL were going to look into purchasing... (didn't work out) - but while we were online, we looked at several other realtor websites and I found several properties that looked promising (we've actually been looking at property off and on for years - every time it just wasn't "right"). Not sure we said anything then - when she left - Larry and I discussed what we would do next - BESIDES freaking out (so unproductive, isn't it??).

So the next day, I went into work and had time before surgery to speak w/ my boss and the office manager. Got the next Monday and Tuesday off from work... On the way from work that day, I went a different way and stopped at a local Realty Office. I was looking for the Realtor that I'd visited with 1 or maybe even 2 years previous (she'd run both of us around to look at several places - none was "quite right" - but at least she understood what we were looking for). She no longer worked there and the only Realtor left working was w/ another couple at that time. So I waited. It was well after hours - yet she then proceeded to pull up the properties I'd thought I'd seen that were promising form the MLS. Couldn't find the one I was describing and for the life of me, I couldn't remember (& was kicking myself for not bringing my printouts w/ me that day) the address(s)... FINALLY, she found the one and then another - both of those were promising, then showed me several more. She listened to what I had to say about our "arrangement" and "circumstances" (was she surprised!)... I wasn't sure if we'd done a contract w/ the previous Realtor nor sure if Larry hadn't already done something, so I took her card and the printouts and headed home to do chores. When I was done and Larry was up (some of you know that he's pretty much a permanent night worker, some don't) to make breakfast (actually he was ill and called in to work for nite off), we visited about the properties. We already had boxes (we'd started moving stuff out to do renovations - 1 room at a time), so we packed - me for only short time - him most of the night. The next day, I called new Realtor back and arranged to go look at properties! We also rented a storage unit and took first large load. 2 of our daughters, our SIL and 2 good friends showed up to help pack. We pulled out w/ the trailer (2nd load), SIL, 2 baby GDs; both daughters' had to go to work - one for swing shift, one for night shift and met the Realtor at the first property. As we pulled up ... Larry looked up at the arched gate and said "THIS IS HOME"....

We looked at it. Not perfect, an older manufactured home w/ some issues (cosmetic, we hoped) some outbuildings - some ok- some EWWWW, some fenced pasture (oooo - about 7 acres - more than currently had all of our critters on, but fenced in only 3' tall field fence and fence posts - just right for our guys to "skewer" themselves on), an above ground pool, lots of junk laying about hiding in the pine straw and LOTS OF FORESTED areas... It felt "right". And it was w/i our price range - if we could get a VA Loan on 21 acres (just 5 years ago - you couldn't - we tried). After all this time - the first one we looked at - really???? We stopped and looked at 2 others. One was less money, the other the same $$ but lots less property. NOPE. We then went to the storage unit and unloaded - in the meantime the daughter working swing shift is changing a flat tire and ended up getting the night off from work due to travel problems and is dropped off by someone else to meet us for dinner. It was a long night - took them home and Larry and I continue packing.

Saturday - everyone + our middle daughter show up to help pack! We meet Realtor to draw up the bid for the property/home - want response by Monday... One friend shows up with an Artic Cat (small bucket tractor thing) and we try using it to pull steel fence posts on the first pasture. Hmm, doesn't work at all. So we do other things to continue working instead. Larry picks up a Farm Jack - and figures out how to use it so that fence posts start coming up. First equipment load goes to friends' house, ponies are shifted around to accommodate taking out fencing (O yes, and then the chasing and fight commences). Good thing we've figured out how to build these hoop coops - as we now need 3 more to house all the chix at our friends' place. SIL is now out of the house and working on that project. In the middle of all of this - I have a vet appointment for coggins and RV - and all 11 ponies that got the RV had varying reactions - way too many SEVERE and 2 days in a row we spend more time hot packing them so that they will eat/drink than doing anything else! No time then for a nervous breakdown - gotta keep moving & we do. Monday arrives and we are still frantically packing. Still nothing official from the lawyer and the original VA Realtor... New realtor calls w/ a counter offer to ours - we counter again and send it off. Another offer comes in - but there's some question as to some things (yep, knew it was too good to be true!)... We did set a closing date of 4 December.

Tuesday morning - finally hear from Lawyer and VA Realtor - both of whom act shocked over the eviction notice and say they can get it straight and we'll keep the original contract... Seems that when we signed that - the eviction notice had been set in motion already via court system and everybody "forgot" about it... Larry and I looked at each other ... "NO, but we need more time to move out"... Got till 20 November to move... Went and talked to that original property owner about leasing some land from them, fencing it for the ponies and moving them in for up to 3 months. "Pastures" would be just glorified, large paddocks - as I would need fence posts and fencing to put up at the new place when everything started falling into place... Yes, got it, but will have to start fencing it soon. Larry and I both had to return to work - full time. The rest of our family and friends' also returned to work - in that 5 days - we'd gotten 90% of the inside of the house and part of the shop packed into storage. Part of the barn, too, but we were finding out just how much stuff we had!

Halloween was a bit subdued - we didn't decorate cuz most of our stuff in storage already. We did a bonfire that included some furniture we knew we weren't taking with us. 2 days earlier, one of the house kittens that I'd rescued in June and had spayed when old enough - died. Maybe she got to the mouse poison? She was given a Viking Burial - at the top of the burn pile and a Eulogy was said before it was lit. Good fire, good food (PIZZA, CHIPS/DIP, CAKE/ICECREAM & SODA - our bonfire staples), family fellowship! No trick - or - treaters - wonder why??? It was the biggest bonfire we'd ever had! Lots of pony whinny's when it blazed up - first bonfire we'd ever done w/o fire marshall arriving, too. that was a surprise!

Continued to pack - amazing how the week(S) flew by. I'd started taking fencing over to the leased place - did we have enough to do it? We started laying it out - and got some of it up... No we didn't have enough. Hmmmm.... Made the areas smaller. On the 15th, in pouring, cold rain, we unloaded not 1 but 2 loads of ponies into 2 different paddocks. Everyone that came to help got fed and got gas money in one way or the other... On the 16th, we moved the last group of ponies - having to keep them tied until we got enough panels and gates up and set... (not all the fencing was down on the main property yet!)... O, yea, did I state that our oldest daughters' NSH had been having breathing issues and when the Cog/RV done we had her checked - she had "heaves" and possibly cancer. She was started w/ a Prednisone/steroid shot and treatment via oral pills that need to be crushed and given 2x daily during all of this too. While dealing w/ the ponies (hot packing), she is still having breathing issues (meds doing nothing?), so we think that maybe not only cancer but cancer spread to lungs? She was in the last batch of ponies to be moved. She'd been moved into the pen w/ our "wild pony" who hasn't been able to be turned out since she tears thru the fencing and can't be caught. They are in portable panels set up in a 70' oblong type round pen. They are moved together and again put in the pen when it's re-built. Feeding is only going to be done 1x daily while out there - so meds changed up. Not sure if that was a problem or not - effective? No effect - a week later she's now losing weight (but weather had also taken a dive first here in the Carolinas, then in the rest of the country as that front dips wayyyy south!). Breathing is no better. Moving? We are frantically moving the last of our stuff on the Nov 20th - no one shows up at the property... ??? It's 1:30 am when Larry and I arrive in our "home" - our room at the Quality Inn... Friday - we both stay quite dead and in our room - except for feeding the ponies. No one returns our calls (again) from the VA Realtor who is supposed to go thru the home and get the keys. I'm fretting - there's "stuff" we could have still moved if they aren't going to have a "presence" to make us stay away or lock us out (not in the house - but in the shop - the rest of the fencing that we ran out of time to get, some little stuff around the place)... Set up the Hotel room as an effieciency apartment w/ our coffee pot, snacks, kitchen type stuff (hmm, packed some of the wrong stuff, kept some of the wrong stuff!). Laundry OK for a bit - W/D was in the last load to go to storage. Dog treats, food, water station set up for them - 3 in our room for the first 2 nights. Then 1 moved over w/ our daughter in room next to us.

Property passes various inspections, but a hang up in the offers... Seems that there WAS a VA appraisal done. And it's much lower than the amount that the owner wants for the property. We make a LAST OFFER - and it is accepted, but the closing date now moved to the 10th of Dec... Then our Realtor wants to redo our financing - going thru a different lender rather than the one we'd been pre-approved w/. This is OK, but means we jump thru more hoops AND we then do another VA appraisal - and I come down sick w/ a nasty cold, some congestion and a cough. NO fever. I'm worried and TIRED... Thanksgiving was ... well not anything like we've EVER had before...

Ponies doing OK, some losing weight (hadn't fed most right away when moved - went a couple of days since the move was upsetting and had gotten new supplier of hay - that's another sob story!). Over one weekend, I built a temporary feed room that housed our small squares of hay for the now 2 shetland ponies, 1 NSH and 1 MH (boarded w/ me) - mostly by myself - though the younger daughter did stop working w/ the wild pony just long enough to help put panels into place in the curve while I braced them. The heavy coughing started while I was doing that and between feeding w/o my feed wagon (packed full of "stuff" and left in other trailer at friends' property) and building - I am laid out that evening w/ exhaustion. Don't get a lot of stuff done...that needed doing.

14nov27feed0857.jpg 14nov27feed0855.jpg

So, last week the closing set to Dec 19th. Nothing much happening - not over this cold. Keep on, keepin' on.

Someone has already broken two windows at the house we were at (still checking mail - even though we set up a PO box w/ same zip code) and it looks cold/lonely... The folks who took the keys are unhappy w/ "the stuff" we "left" (I'd gone back and gotten most of the rest of the fencing - when I broke the new, heavy duty farm jack, we quit! and cleaned out the barn and the shop) - they had a hard time understanding that what was actually left wasn't ours! sigh... I remember when we did the original lease and 1/2 the barn and all of the shop still had the owners' stuff in it. Took them over 2 years to move it since they'd been transferred out of state, but then they left quite a bit in the shop - it wasn't ours... Trust me, we wanted what was ours!

This morning, the good news - the new appraisal was much higher than the original (we won't have to pay any cash other than closing costs - most of which have already been paid) AND we will be moving the closing up but don't know what day yet!

Christmas - will be a time of moving and setting up the house we will live the rest of our lives on (well, it's probably mortgaged for the rest of it anyway!). We will be setting up the fencing so that we will be able to drive ponies around the perimeter of the property - some clearing will have to be done. Not sure how/where we will put a barn yet. Not sure how much cash we will have for a while!! Probably no tree or Xmas decorations, but that's ok...

I had a women come into work yesterday and tell me a story of how her power was out and all she would like was a hot shower. I carried her stuff out and told her I'll keep her in my thoughts and hope her power gets fixed. She says to me I figure I only have these issues because I'm blessed. I kinda gave her the Hmmm eye brows and thought about it for a second. I said I agree, there are alot of people with out homes let alone power. I told her to have a good one and I hope she gets her shower soon and she laughed and left.

Made my issues very small compared to the bigger picture ...

Wow, Paula, that's quite the fall "adventure", do let us know when you are in and working on getting settled.

When I hear stories from others it makes me realize that my issues and problems are very small compared to those of other people.I really need to stop complaing and suck it up and be grateful that I am as healthy overall as I am(especially for an old aged mare)

I don't have anything big to say. I haven't decorated yet. We have a little table top artificial tree waiting downstairs and the nativity to go under it. A few stockings and knick knacks will go out. Hubby has his wire lighted horse in the front yard and his PURPLE lights around the front porch. (purple, purple, purple--LOL!) (I took all the purple lights and decorations off the little tree last year and put on other things and colors). We had Thanksgiving here and so are going to my sister's for Christmas Eve with the family. Christmas Day will probably be fairly quiet here. Asked my Mom to stop out and my son and the family to drop by. (The two kids will liven it up a bit!). Will count my blessings.

Jacks'Thunder - thank you for a true smile and great meaning...

Bevann & performancemini - some of your stories have actually helped me along when I felt like "quitting"...everything... So be thankful but also thanks for sharing!!

Chandab - we are in the homestretch finally (I think?!?), and no probs - I WILL! When I am able (after closing), I will share pics - before we move(d) in and after we get started on pastures/paddocks.

Larry and I discussed it over breakfast this am - we are going to move everything out of storage first (and into the new shop on the property). Some "stuff" may move into the house right away, but mostly we want to get everything out of the 2 storage units so that we don't have to pay for those anymore. The we'll concentrate on the pony stuff... He is working (nights) thru the whole Christmas holidays - my last day is the 18th and we'll be back at work on the 5th of January. I can (and probably will) check in via text and also can check the scheduling/phone calls on line as well (though returning calls from my personal phone is not something I really want to do). I was actually offered tomorrow off and I took it as well. Lower paycheck, but oh well. Sometimes it's nice not to have a jam-packed Monday!

I hope every one gets to feeling better and has a wonderful Christmas! We celebrated this Saturday. My husband works two weeks on and two off. It was really nice his year. We just celebrated with our kids and grandkids at my daughters house. They all felt a little strange not being at my house, but I loved it! I still did all the cooking. I am ready to take the tree down now but I will leave it up. Not really sure what I will do Christmas Day.

I was able to get Christmas off! Yah! Someone came back on the schedule and took my shift so I found out yesterday I could have it off. Today I am wrapping all day and then taking my gifts to UPS this afternoon for shipping. Husband and I weren't going to buy for each other this year because finances being tight with helping out his family and home repairs but I changed my mind. I ordered him some things he had in his Amazon wish list and told him to go buy for me...lol. I bought my ham a couple days ago and plan on making scallop potatoes, broccoli salad and beans for Christmas. I found this store that makes the best baklava I've ever eaten so I'm going to order some today, I love that stuff. As much as I complain about snow it doesn't look like we will be having a white Christmas so now I'm disappointed. I do love snow for the Holidays.

I was really happy with the gifts I bought this year. Here are some things I bought: I had 12x12 canvas prints made for my niece of her son and for my sister. I bought the guys in the family a fishing grab bag subscriptions for 6 months. It's really cool, every month for 6 months they will get a package in the mail with misc fishing items, I think they will really like that. I bought my great nephew a bounce house with 200 balls, MIL a bread maker and book. SIL got a dachshund puppy a month ago so I got her and her fiancé all dachshund related gifts...bookends, wall hanging. My niece's husband is a farrier/blacksmith, so I got him a travel coffee mug with "keep calm and listen to the farrier". I love to buy gifts but always worry if it's something they will like, this year I think I did good. Crunch time, a little over a week left, off to wrap!

Keith and I rarely exchange Christmas presents, but this year we are giving each other a house.

After ten years, we are finally building and turning the tin cabin into storage. As of now, we have a swathe of bare earth and mountains of dirt where they have excavated the building pad and our gravel driveway is newly extended, widened and re-rocked to accommodate construction vehicles.

This will be a very small house -- just under 800 square feet -- exactly as we have always wanted, with just the right amount of space for two people, assorted animals, musical instruments and a zillion books. It is not a McMansion, not a suburban wannabe, not compromised for resale, definitely not builder's grade, and not planned to please anyone but ourselves. We are making the most of our creative abilities, my proclivity for collecting old furniture and home materials (I'm in the midst of refinishing and rewiring my collection of vintage floor lamps and repainting the outside of my Craigslist prize clawfoot tub) and the talents of friends and relatives to turn an inexpensive build into a one-of-a-kind, artistic home As it is a hybrid cabin and cottage, we've named it The Cabbage.

I'm gonna guess the mice did that because of the move towards more recyclable goods. You know, like your car's wiring. Yes, they love the covering on the wiring. Insurance covers it, the first time. After that, the thousands of dollars of repairs are yours.

Might be cheaper to go with a live Christmas tree, of course we are partial since we sell them. They are a crop grown for this purpose, not taken from the wild. The key is to go to a farm and cut your own, the trees in those lots were cut months ago, that is why they blow needles all over right at the start. Fresh trees don't do that.

Our tree? Um. Welll, not up yet. Sold plenty though!

Latest posts

Back