Are these real socks/stockings or just fading/countershading?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
Clipped out my Buckeroo grandson to find that his lower legs are even lighter than they were last year, now my question is, is it just countershading/fading on his legs or does he actually have socks/stockings?, they're not as white as I'm used to seeing? I assume he's carrying sabino as he has a star on his forehead that was NOT visible until after I clipped him for the first time, it's about the size of a dime or so, he's also got a snip on his muzzle that's getting bigger and white moving upward..

Royal6-1.png

Royal9.png

Are his hoofs white? Usually if the legs are white so are the hoofs, just my experience.

The right front and right hind MAY have socks... But - your horse has alot of meal modifier - as seen around his muzzle, flanks and up his legs - basically it's like a dose of flaxen for certain parts of the body. Some breeders of certain breeds - like Haflinger breeders - highly sought out the flaxen gene and it just really modified their color. Read more on it here. The only way you can tell is by using your thumb to comb the hair back. If the skin is pink, you have white markings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am at work and the pictures do not always come up for me so not sure if you posted one or not......no the hoofs are not always white if you have white at the bottom of the leg. We have a mare with sabino roaning all over her and two of her hoofs are a very dark brown and it her leg looks white from the knee down.

I think those are just fading/countershading as you suggested. I had a sorrel/chestnut mare who did that and she also had the mealy muzzle. He looks good Cristina...

wetting down the legs helps crispen up the lines if there are any white markings. The skin will also be pink under the white markings.

Oh goodness--he looks great! What an interesting question. I had no idea what folks would say. Learn something new every day...

They are definitely not white socks. The hooves would be white & the skin would have to be pink under the hair. Lighter hair on the lower legs is common on chestnuts/sorrels. Either due to the flaxen gene, or mealy.

Latest posts

Back