color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attwoode

Reaction score
DSCN6551 (Small).JPGDSCN7380.JPGHannah stretch.jpg

I have a 5 mo old solid chestnut filly that has a star,strip and snip. She has no white on her legs or body but has visible white sclera, mottled skin on vulva and udder, and striped hooves. She has no mottling on eyes or muzzle. She currently has no visible spots or roaning of any kind in her fur. I'm wondering if she is showing appy traits, sabino, or something else.

This filly's sire (see my avatar) is a sorrel with a few white hairs on his hip, but not enough to notice unless you are looking for it. He is out of two black horses,one had a small white spot on hip and lower leg and was from appy breeding.

The filly's dam is a palomino pinto with white legs, blaze and a blue eye. She is mostly white. Her palomino markings have dark gold hairs with white hairs mixed in like roaning or varnish. Can't really tell because the pinto blends in with the white hairs and washes out the pattern. She is by a bay pinto sire (going back to blue roan pintaloosa) and out of a solid mare.

I'd be certain that the filly is appy if she also had mottling around eyes and lips but she has no mottled skin on front end. Is this appy? Does sabino sometimes cause the sclera, striped hooves, and mottling on vulva and udder? Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like appy to me. The one thing with appys is they never quit changing so each year you might see something different. I grew up with full sized appys, but honestly have little knowledge about sabino traits so will be interesting to see what others say.

What sabinos have are most of them, if not all have white on their face. They can also have the pinto striped hooves and the pigmented skin. They are also best known for having roany white hairs, and they can sometimes be confused with a true roan.

I added some photos on pg 1. Hoping I can get some more thoughts on her coloring and appy? traits. I noticed she now has a few white hairs on her hip mixed in with her chestnut winter coat.

Back