arab type minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerranger

Reaction score
The Exact Center of CA, 3,158 mi from the north p
one of our minis came to us in june really heavy. she always had an arab face but now that shes lost alot of weight we are starting to work her out. today we put her in the big areana and as she runs she looks more and more like an arab. [ nostrels flaired, tail erect, etc...] Ive never seen an arab mini before. are they comon?anything you can tell me would help. thanks DR.

There are several different body types for minis and a lot of people prefer the more refined "arabian" type. I think several of mine are that type. You can see some of them in my avatar to the left and on my website there are tons of pictures of each
default_smile.png

Whinny For Me Farm

Also, a lot of minis (and other horses) will have a more greatly exagerated action with tails over their backs and noses flared when they are excited and in a place they're not yet used to.

[SIZE=14pt]Arab type to most people just means a dished head and big eyes. It is very subjective except to those of us who raised Arabs first. We know whereof we speak. I have several Arabian type minis but really most of mine are more moderate in type.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Our stallion, Circle S Aces High, is one of the Arabian-type miniatures. He's got the most beautiful dished head, large eyes, tiny pointed ears, and tail-flagging action. He is so Intelligent, gentle, and well-mannered! His first filly for us has his head and body-type in miniature.

acepasturejuly056zp.jpg

And his filly, Loess Hills Dancing Cloud:

dancingcloud2weeks3kb.jpg

Our white Egyptian King bred stallion is the "arab" type for sure. He will take your breath away watching him run in the pasture. He has passed that on this year to a lot of his foals as well.

I think some people need to take a good hard look at an Arab!!

http://www.arabianlines.com/Magazine/March2006.jpg

Here's a link, see the length of neck??

See the length of leg??

An Arab is a whole lot more than a dished head- big eyes and a flagged tail- Welsh Mountain Ponies have all those and little barrel bodies and short necks as well.

I think, personally, having bred Arabs for many years and having looked at a few websites that claim to have Miniature Arabs- the Welsh Sec A is as close as we are going to get for a long , long time.!!!
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
These are just "my type", the horses I like to raise and bred - not really arab, quater horse, TWH ext..........just my miniatures, but I do love their heads, necks, bodies and just their look. You can see more on my site (which is getting some updates this week)

Here is one of my babies from this year that I just love -

eebc0596.jpg

I do not think anyone in their right minds would argue that your horses are beautiful, Erica, just not, as you say, Arabs!!

Arab-y maybe, possibly, although I personally referr not to make comparisons if I can avoid it as we then get threads like this one
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Ooh, sorry, I'm off to take a happy pill to countermand the grumps I seem to have caught today
default_yes.gif
:

I don't know if there is any miniature out there that looks like a true arab. Some miniatures have some arab characteristics to them but they just don't look like a true arab. When i refer to a miniature looking like an arab i mean that they have a dishy head, nice long neck, level topline, nice throatlatch, high tailset, big eyes, and just a very refined miniature. This is the type of miniature we like to raise, her name is Gander Hill Chantilly Lace. She is 2 years old this year. She has some arab characteristics to her. Aubrey

ef309d49.jpg

ef309a4f.jpg

ef30933a.jpg

ef308963.jpg

I *think* that I have a close counterpart to an Arabian in my yearling colt Sampson. {{seen below}}

((link below because picture was too big to fit and didn't want to cause problems))

But he does need a bit more dished head but he has the long legs and everything else you need - as well as tail flagging action!
default_yes.gif
: Not as fancy mover though but hey I love 'em just the same
default_wub.png
:

Katie

PICTURE: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/mini...5/DSCF00008.jpg

I love Erica's comment that her horses are "her" type, rather than any breed type. When I see photos of her horses, I see no need to compare, but rather I appreciate them for what they are: exquisite examples of careful breeding, with beauty and excellent conformation in a small size. They stand completely on their own.

I realize that using the term "Arab-type" (or any type) is often just shorthand for describing a particular type of mini when other words fall short, but in my opinion, the comparison actually diminishes the horse rather than complimenting it.

Comparison to any other breed places minis only in relation to a big horse, when in actuality they have their own beauty that has nothing to do with any other breed. As soon as anyone suggests such a comparison, the first thing that pops into my mind is how that horse is DIFFERENT from the suggested breed. As much as we strive for beautiful proportions, they are still that of a mini, and what is just right on a mini would look strange on a big horse, and vice versa.

So often what makes someone suggest that they have a particular type has nothing to do with the reality of that particular breed. I see this even more often with the supposed "quarter horse" type. I've yet to see one that truly looks like a quarter horse. A well-muscled mini becomes a quarter horse type, while a more refined mini becomes an arab-type, even if nothing else on that particular horse fits the comparison.

I admit, I have looked at Mingus and compared him to various breeds, but I've yet to find an apt comparison. I can't say he is any particular type (except perhaps to say that he looks more Shetland than a lot of minis, and that comment in itself could certainly be challenged).

What does any mini look like? It looks like a mini!

I think some people need to take a good hard look at an Arab!!http://www.arabianlines.com/Magazine/March2006.jpg

Here's a link, see the length of neck??

See the length of leg??

An Arab is a whole lot more than a dished head- big eyes and a flagged tail- Welsh Mountain Ponies have all those and little barrel bodies and short necks as well.

I think, personally, having bred Arabs for many years and having looked at a few websites that claim to have Miniature Arabs- the Welsh Sec A is as close as we are going to get for a long , long time.!!!

Jane - There are no MINIATURE ARABS! They are only Arabian-type miniatures who have some of the characteristics of a full Arabian horse. Of course they don't have the length of leg and neck of an ARAB. The miniature horse is a young breed still evolving, and there are characteristics from many different breeds, including Shetlands, Quarter Horses, Morgans, etc. Perhaps in several hundred years we will see what a true miniature horse will evolve and become. But they are a separate breed, still young in terms of standards. So while we can look and admire the Arab, I, for one, do not claim to have an ARABIAN MINIATURE, just one who has some of the characteristics that I would desire in a miniature horse. Just my opinion!
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Having seen this topic at least 100 times now on this forum.................I often wonder WHY are miniature breeders comparing their horses to other breeds? Shouldn't miniature breeders be more focused on creating a breed that stands out as a miniature? Call me daft but I don't know many quarter horse breeders who go out of their way to breed araby q-horses
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

for the record my background is mostly arabian horses so I also do know what they should look like
default_wink.png
:

I know many people refer to their Minis being Arab type--that description gives me an idea that the horse is a little finer than, say, a QH type Mini, with maybe a more dished face...just this morning one of our colts got prancing around & getting snarky when we moved some horses around in the adjacent corral, & I commented that he looks kind of like one of those show type Morgans. Does he really look like a Morgan? No, but there are some similar characteristics, and it would.

It just slays me when I see the ads that rave about how a farm has horses that are "TRUE ARABIANS IN MINIATURE" and you look at the photos & see the very typical MINIATURE foals--those little heads with pretty eyes, a bit of a bump on the forehead which adds to the "dish" in the face--chubby little Mini body and short legs--really not Arabian in appearance at all. But, that seems to be what advertising is all about, taking a truth (Arab "type") and then stretching it into something much more than that.

Like someone said above, by bragging about how their horses are true Arabians in miniature, it emphasizes to people (many people, a few get sucked in by the hype) what the horse actually isn't.

Having seen this topic at least 100 times now on this forum.................I often wonder WHY are miniature breeders comparing their horses to other breeds? Shouldn't miniature breeders be more focused on creating a breed that stands out as a miniature? Call me daft but I don't know many quarter horse breeders who go out of their way to breed araby q-horses
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

for the record my background is mostly arabian horses so I also do know what they should look like
default_wink.png
:

Well my own answer to you is simply cause like it or not the mini is a HEIGHT breed and our breed standards are IMO very vauge other then simple good conformation. There are many breeds that truly influenced our breed and that our horses were bred down from and by.
default_smile.png

That said I have seen many horses (minis) that have some certain look to them a type not really a look alike of another breed from QH in TYPE both old style and new... T/B in type, NSH in type again none would pass for there full size breed "types" but many breeders seem to strive to breed a "type" which I think is fine.

Of course a mini wont have the length of leg or neck an arab does that is like saying your 29 in mini doesnt have the length of leg or neck that my 37 in mini does.

I do agree it takes more then a dishy head to equal arab and I have seem some beautiful arabs that dont have extreme dishes.

But then again I see many people calling there horses refined simply cause they have thinner legs even when there body type is HUGE and full of substance.. so guess it is all in the eye of the beholder

Last edited:
I completely see your point, however as a breeder isn't it far more of a compliment to ones own program to produce horses that stick in ones memory? Lets face it even within quarter horses there are types and arabs run the gamut and lets also not forget morgans..............so regardless of what big breed a miniature may resemble in some features isn't it more important to produce a horse that is noteworthy as a miniature or even better from a specific program?

Erica to me is an example of someone who produces horses of a specific type/look, and ruff n tuff there is no denying the consistency of your horses, the little king program is another...........who cares if they look like an arab etc.....they look consistent and they hold their own in a show ring and they better the breed in general. I know I left out plenty of other programs/breeders my intent is not to deny them just there are just too many to list
default_wink.png
:

If more people would focus on bettering their own program and less on arguing semantics the breed will improve and flourish
default_yes.gif
: just my own opinion

default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

default_wink.png
:

Well my own answer to you is simply cause like it or not the mini is a HEIGHT breed and our breed standards are IMO very vauge other then simple good conformation. There are many breeds that truly influenced our breed and that our horses were bred down from and by.
default_smile.png

That said I have seen many horses (minis) that have some certain look to them a type not really a look alike of another breed from QH in TYPE both old style and new... T/B in type, NSH in type again none would pass for there full size breed "types" but many breeders seem to strive to breed a "type" which I think is fine.

Of course a mini wont have the length of leg or neck an arab does that is like saying your 29 in mini doesnt have the length of leg or neck that my 37 in mini does.

I do agree it takes more then a dishy head to equal arab and I have seem some beautiful arabs that dont have extreme dishes.

But then again I see many people calling there horses refined simply cause they have thinner legs even when there body type is HUGE and full of substance.. so guess it is all in the eye of the beholder

The ONLY miniature horse i've ever seen that could pass as an arabian type miniature horse is Little Kings Buck Easy owned by McCabe training Center (pics at www.mccabetrainingcenter.com). He is the closest i have found that resembles an arab.

This stallion not only looks the part but he gives it to his off spring as well.

Mochas Cherokee War Dance If photo does not come up he is on Rocking horse acres web sight.

He lives in NH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dancer

AMHA/AMHR Chestnut Stallion w/Blaze

~ 2005 AMHA Eastern Regional Grand Champion Get of Sire ~

~ 2004 Multiple Grand Champion Stallion ~

Just before the show, Dancer was taken in from his field and clipped.

Even in Pasture Condition, this Phenomenal Stallion won Multiple Grand Championships and of course, we couldn't be more thrilled! Only two shows and he excels in the ring at both AMHA and AMHR rated shows!

The pictures of Dancer are recent and in Pasture Condition. He is an absolutely remarkable horse and we cannot thank Judy & Larry Smith enough for allowing him to spend some time at Rocking Horse Acres!

resemble in some features isn't it more important to produce a horse that is noteworthy as a miniature or even better from a specific program?

If more people would focus on bettering their own program and less on arguing semantics the breed will improve and flourish
default_yes.gif
: just my own opinion

Yes now this I couldnt agree with more... Personally no offense I am not now nor have I ever been a Arab fan just not my thing... so I only have one horse that even though I kinda see it I have had many Arab breeders (some from this forum ) say hey that isnt your kinda horse he is way to much like an arab for you LOL

Most of my horses resemble a true Hunter under saddle type IMO anyway

Latest posts

Back