appys, pintos and pintoloosas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As they say "Variety is the spice of life".

Part of the beauty of miniature horses is that any color is acceptable.

Buy what you want to wake up and see in the morning!
default_biggrin.png

I agree, buy for yourself and what YOU want to look at everyday
default_smile.png
There are no color "rules" you have to follow (except for LWO testing of course). There may be some color trends but those come and go, I wouldn't worry about those at all. I am not an appy fan nor a fan of most pinto markings but there are some appys that are just WOW!!! Catch is one of those - he is incredible in any color and I love how he is marked.

That said, I look at conformation, movement and temperament first and the color is just a nice bonus if it's my fav. My absolute to die for color is black/bay/buckskin with a star/blaze, blue eyes and 4 socks. I just finally have two marked the way I love and I only got the two in the last year. Luckily they happen to be pretty darn nice in the structure/movement department, so I got lucky to get the eye candy too
default_wub.png
The rest of my little herd is completely solid blacks/bays. I am not much of a pinto (lots of color) lover. BUT I am eagerly awaiting a new addition (to be introduced properly in the spring!) and he is a WILDLY marked buckskin pinto - hmm guess I can make the sacrifice for his great conformation
default_wink.png
default_wub.png

Have fun and show us lots of pics of the direction you decide to go! Your pastures will be colorful
default_smile.png

It is amazig what you can get. I love Orion so much as well as the appy lines. I love Chianti!

I have my eye on this little mare and she has Orion lines. Her dam is a pinto but the mare is black and will be bred to an app. So it is very exciting what you will get!!!

I am a former Appaloosa breeder.

I have to admit that when I first looked into the miniature breed I was appauled at the indistriminate breeding of appy to pintos, and thought it would never happen with any of my horses.
default_wink.png

Well, I have been "corrupted",
default_new_shocked.gif
and would love to have a well-marked pintaloosa with big blue eyes in my barn.
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

Actually, my best appy blanket producing mare, although she shows no pinto colour aside from a star and snip, a white half coronet, and blue eyes, had a medicine hat dam.

I don't know if this was mentioned, but if you like pintos and want to register and show them with the Pinto Assocaition (www.pinto.org) they frown on App blood. They have gotten more lenient about registering minis with App in their backgrounds, but lots of Pinto owners (I am one of them) feel that Pintos and Apps should not be crossed. But you need to do what YOU like.

LOL, you know me! I am 'old school' and just can't bring myself to cross the two. I like them to be one or the other, though I have never been a big fan of pintos. Not to say I dont see one once in a while that knocks my socks off- but to me they all start looking the same, LOL (Ya seen one, ya seen 'em all- JMO)

Many people with pintos also register and show them pintos, and they can't if there are Appies in their lines. Also same thing for folks breeding for the Appy- they want Appaloosa lines, not other lines.

I do have to say, my yearling filly is out of an Appy mare and sired by a solid non Appy stallion whose sire was pinto- Prince Tennessee Monashee. My filly has no pinto characteristics at all, and I bought her in spite of the pinto breeding, not because of it.

I think the pintoloosas look too busy- kind of like wearing plaid with polka dots, LOL.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes though, and if the horse is nice, and you think it will fit into your breeding program for what YOU want, then do it!! Variety keeps the world from getting too boring I guess, haha
default_biggrin.png

We have solids, pinto's and appaloosa's as well but we and will not cross the breeds at our farm. We have all types of horses being shetlands and miniatures at our farm and hoping to breed for a appaloosa with a shetland neck.

Color is just icing on the cake as far as we are concerned, and everyone likes something different but I prefer appy's with no pinto background.

My first love is palominos as that is what I raised in QH's.But when I got into the minis (1988) I noticed there weren't very many LOUD colored pintos and overos were pretty much nonexistent, so that is what I started a breeding program on. But to tell the truth I like about ANY color... as long as it's on a GOOD horse
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
How darn cute!! COngrat!! Everyone has suck lovely horese~!!!

Here is our new filly that come from Creta Hills Farm.Her dam is appy and her sire is pinto.

Here is Rosie.. (This photos taken by Julie).

You can see her pedigree on here, http://www.imageevent.com/karrieshort/minihorses/rosiehttp://rockinsminiatures.webs.com/rosie

I loved Rosie's grand sire, Wilkins Shorty.

I love soild, pintos and do love appy too and never seen pintoloosa in person yet.

Maybe in someday.
default_smile.png

Sooo what do you prefer??? I love the apps. But I have been looking at the sales lists and have been finding myself liking the pintolosas. Is that sooo wrong?? I LOVE Orion!! OK I confessed. I am looking at a black mare that has a pinto dam but I breed for apps! Is that wrong???
What about you? Would you ever buy a horse that has both app and pinto in thier lines?? And take a chance of producing a pintolossa??

It seems like so many appy lover dont want to see pinto and vice avera. What are your thoughts.
No, I would not buy a horse that looked Pinto, but had appaloosa background. If you just want a registered mini , A or R, you can get by with it. If you want to expand to Pinto, they will not accept a horse with any ap in the pedigree. Yes, they do a background check and will refuse appaloosa.

Unfortunately, it is not the easiest thing to try to find a mini with no ap in the background that you can register Pinto.

Because I want just Pinto, I would not even consider an ap cross.

I think up here if you have a pinto with appaloosa in its pedigree you can not register them pinto. just a thought
If I understand Pinto Assoc. rules right that is true for full size horses

but minis can have appy in their background as long as they don't display any characteristics
No, minis can not have any ap in the background to register Pinto.

I have one in my barn right now that was rejected by Pinto because of an appaloosa in his background. Although I was not the one who applied for his registration, I have the rejection letter from Pinto, stating what horse, in his background, was appaloosa.

I would--and have--bought a pintaloosa. The mare showed pinto only in her white face & blue eyes, and appaloosa only in some white roaning over her loins, but her mother's sire was a loud leopard appaloosa and her sire a medicine hat. We knew the breeding was there, though no one was sure what the white roaning over her loins was, appaloosa or something else. Turns out it must have been the appy showing through, because her first foal for us was a blanket appaloosa, sired by a non-appy bred stallion. We were thrilled, as he was a very pretty little boy and the appy coloring was a nice bonus.

We don't show pinto & never will, so pinto registration is of no concern to me. For that reason I have no qualms at all about buying a pintaloosa. If I were into raising pintos specifically then no, I would not want to have anything that had appaloose breeding behind it.

It seems like it is more of a preference not to cross with the Pinto breeders.

I am looking at a jet black mare. Her sire is black and her dam is a pinto that has app in her background. But I breed for apps. So you never know what you can get!

No, minis can not have any ap in the background to register Pinto.

I have one in my barn right now that was rejected by Pinto because of an appaloosa in his background. Although I was not the one who applied for his registration, I have the rejection letter from Pinto, stating what horse, in his background, was appaloosa.

Sorry but unless they have changed the rules again! As of about 5 years ago, pinto will accept any miniature by just "looking at the pictures". If they don't have any apparent appy characteristics then Pinto accepts them with the cumulativel white of 2". They don't check background any more but the rulebook does read "no appaloosa, mule, etc..... for the last 4 generations". Their office used to check these backgrounds themselves but it's become too costly and as I said unless something has changed, they accept your word for the horses background. And we all know how well the color was recorded on registrations in the past.

I will check with Pinto and post what I hear back.

IMHO I think it is too bad if pinto waivers on the rules. They did this once before when they let any horse (big ones) in if they were registered with Paint. It came back to bite them.

Pinto is a color breed, but it doesnt include ap coloration.

I looked all over for a horse that qualified for Pinto. I finally found one and I already had another that qualified with correct backgrounds. They are hard to find, believe it or not.

The one that I have, that they turned down, would have qualified if they took color only. They bothered check and discovered that actually he has a lot of ap background. It was a former owner who had applied for Pinto.

I will post what I find out.

I like them all, including pintaloosas as long as there's not "too much" of one pattern or the other, has to be a nice balance between the two.. I especially like the overoloosa, mainly the splash/appaloosa cross and have several in my herd:

Sky, black near leopard splash overoloosa (LWO negative)

DSC_0129.jpg

Trouble, black bay overoloosa bred colt, partial blue eyes so splash carrier (sire LWO negative) and starting to frost on body

DSC_0031.jpg

This little gal is by the first stallion and out of a black tobiano/splash mare, so far she is NOT showing any appy characteristics and hoping she doesn't!

DSC_0026.jpg

This is one of 08 colts, out of a silver dapple pintaloosa mare and sired by the first stallion, so far he is not showing any appy as a coming 2 year old:

103_3228.jpg

This guy is another 08 colt and full sibling to the black splash filly above, he was born solid black with partial blue eyes, but now as a coming 2 year old is appying out like crazy, heavy roaning and spots:

102_3583.jpg

This mare is by a black pinto stallion and out of an appaloosa mare, has no characteristics of either, no white, no mottling, no sclera etc.. Has produced pinto, solid and an overoloosa foals when crossed on pinto/solid/overoloosa stallions..

Daisy.png

I've looked into pinto registration as well and was confused.. This is what I found

Accepted miniature outcross breeds are:

* American Miniature Horse Association

* American Miniature Horse Registry

* International Miniature Horse Registry

PtHA can also register horse mares and geldings based on their color alone as well as any sex of ponies and minis.

(So with this statement does that mean that any pony/mini with pinto coloration CAN be registered even if it has an appy sire/dam??)

The PtHA does not accept any horses with Appaloosa, draft or mule breeding and/or characteristics or known breeding within the previous four generations.

This statement contradicts my thoughts on the above statement, so with this one it CAN'T be registered unless the appy is in the 5th or further generation, correct?

So my thinking is, a mini/pony CAN have appy and be registered pinto IF it's at least 5 generations in the pedigree?

I am a former Appaloosa breeder.
I have to admit that when I first looked into the miniature breed I was appauled at the indistriminate breeding of appy to pintos, and thought it would never happen with any of my horses.
default_wink.png

Well, I have been "corrupted",
default_new_shocked.gif
and would love to have a well-marked pintaloosa with big blue eyes in my barn.
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

Actually, my best appy blanket producing mare, although she shows no pinto colour aside from a star and snip, a white half coronet, and blue eyes, had a medicine hat dam.
Sue, my story is the same as yours! I raised big appaloosas before I got miniatures. And guess what, I now own a pintaloosa stallion, as well as an appaloosa stallion!

Pam C.

Back