appys, pintos and pintoloosas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
Sooo what do you prefer??? I love the apps. But I have been looking at the sales lists and have been finding myself liking the pintolosas. Is that sooo wrong?? I LOVE Orion!! OK I confessed. I am looking at a black mare that has a pinto dam but I breed for apps! Is that wrong???

What about you? Would you ever buy a horse that has both app and pinto in thier lines?? And take a chance of producing a pintolossa??

It seems like so many appy lover dont want to see pinto and vice avera. What are your thoughts.

Pintos, overos and toveros, splash thrown in for good measure doesn't hurt one bit. I strongly prefer to stick with pintos, I would consider one with appy background, but it would have to be one heck of a visible pintoloosa to get my attention. Don't get me wrong, there are a few out there....

Well, me, I'm a sucker for those pintos. I love the tobys and not so much overos. If the toby is a tovero that's just icing on the cake. I like them black based as well. I'm not a big "red" fan as far as the red factor. I like them bay or black.

I think with the minis, in so many colors, people are more relaxed about "what goes" because there is such a variety.

However, I personally would NEVER EVER own an appaloosa colored horse. I don't like horses with a lot of color, but have had several pintos. However, if the pinto had appy background, I would pass.

I say get what you like!

Andrea

I prefer pinto but have seen some pintoloosas that I wouldn't mind owning. The first foal born here last year has a appy sire and she is a pinto, dam is a bay. It wouldn't of mattered to me i she was appy though.

I love pintos... Not a real big fan of appies - just personal preference but I have seen some pintaloosas that I would have liked to have
default_smile.png
I think it just depends on what catches your eye...

Appys first for me always, Pinto a close second, pintaloosa third, I am a total sucker for color big horses or small horses, spots spots spots
default_rolleyes.gif
. Love the personality of the appys and love the "people eyes" with the sclera, so much expression.

I love them pintos too...not a big appy fan but I have seen a few that caught my eye and would go for it if I had the money!!

I love pintos! ALL patterns!
default_laugh.png

But I like pintaloosas too!

And most appys.

Nothing wrong in having what you enjoy!

Orion is my all time favorite horse...and so it follows that pintaloosa is MY favorite.
default_wub.png

As you can tell by my avatar, I like some apps. I like some pintos. And I like some pintoloosas. The app in my avatar has a app sire and a pinto dam. Bred to a pinto, he produced a pintoloosa

WRLizziefixedphoto.jpg

What's nice about minis is that any color goes, so it's up to your personal preference. I do know that in the big horse world it is a no-no to breed an app to a pinto. Their loss, I say.
default_biggrin.png

I like them all!
default_smile.png
I've bred my appy to pinto and got some beautiful pintaloosa results! There are both schools of thought in the minis, some want pinto only, some want appy only, some don't care and like both! I say do whatever you like!

Here are some samples of the pintaloosas I produced here:

Crayonbox Made You Look

Looker_lft_sm_8-10-07-321x280.jpg

Crayonbox Color Made

Sienna2.5-29-09-387x286.jpg

I think up here if you have a pinto with appaloosa in its pedigree you can not register them pinto. just a thought
If I understand Pinto Assoc. rules right that is true for full size horses

but minis can have appy in their background as long as they don't display any characteristics

Last edited by a moderator:
There isn't any 'wrong' color for me and I think that's one thing I really appreciate about the miniature breed......whatever color or pattern you prefer, there is a place for it. When we first got interested in miniatures Orion was the first stallion that just blew me away...conformationally. He still is the most balanced and horse like miniature I have ever seen even today. And he was all natural.

Soooo, I guess I must like pintaloosas...Hmmm?
default_smile.png

Our breeding program is directed towards pintos and we are pretty successful at getting the colored horses with the kind of conformation I admire. HOWEVER, we now have a little PINTALOOSA mare in our midst! The minute I saw her, so dainty and elegant, I was done for. She is in foal to Cowboy for next year and I am SO hoping for some appy spots combined with the pinto.

7-09honey.jpg

This is Honey. Pasture fat and in foal, but small and refined. She carries quite a grab bag of color genetics. She is a red dun with tobiano, probably sabino and snow flake appy, maybe varnish too? and I'm not sure if there is more in there or not!

So, yes, I'm a pintaloosa fan.
default_biggrin.png

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to be very fussy when it comes to Appys. There are some though that I just adore. There was a mare for sale a while ago that had appy in her background that I really liked too (but didnt get!
default_sad.png
bummer!) Generally speaking I have pintos and prefer them due to the crazy face markings and blue eyes but I do acknowledge that there are fabulous horses in all colors.

I love all horses no matter what the color but I guess if there were four horses that were equal in conformation I would go with the appy then the pintaloosa, the pinto, and then a solid. The pintaloosas and appys are pretty equal to me for being my favorite just because there are some appies that just have the worst markings and then there are some pintaloosas that are just badly marked but a nicely marked one I could go either way. This is my second year with my own minis so I bought an appy mare last year that was bred to a pinto and got a pintaloosa filly and then I bred her back to our pinto stallion for this year and got in my mind the perfect marked pintaloosa colt. I have her bred to a leopard for next year though.

The mare:

Littlebitofeverybody044.jpg

The filly:

DSC_0046.jpg

The colt:

Magic021.jpg

I too like Orion. Guess that's good since my stallion (see avatar) is a great grandson. He's visually a silver dapple pinto. Neither of his parents "looked" appy but he's thown appy and silver in all three foals by him so far.

Orion , a pintaloosa, was such a great color producer of many varities.He produced leopards, pintaloosas, and pintos of all colors.My own mare a pintaloosa and Orion bred has produced Appaloosa when bred to a gray and several pintos when bred to a pinto.2 of them tested positive for homozygous tobiano.I love all the colors and you can get such variety with Pintaloosa.

Latest posts

Back