appys, pintos and pintoloosas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OOO, Lucky C, I really like that Sky!
Thanks! I just love looking at him
default_wub.png
Perfect balance between the two patterns, love his spots but I'm a huge sucker for the blue eyes and bald face
default_wub.png
:wub

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

He's sired a silver dapple blanketed colt with a wide blaze, black frosted colt, bay varnish/snowcap filly, black varnish/snowcap colt, black roan/spotted/splash colt, a black pinto colt, black splash filly, bay splash/frosting colt and a black frosted colt (deceased) out of a variety of mares (appaloosa/pinto/pintaloosa and solid)

Sue, my story is the same as yours! I raised big appaloosas before I got miniatures. And guess what, I now own a pintaloosa stallion, as well as an appaloosa stallion!
Pam C.
How is that appy boy!?

OOO, Lucky C, I really like that Sky!
Thanks! I just love looking at him
default_wub.png
Perfect balance between the two patterns, love his spots but I'm a huge sucker for the blue eyes and bald face
default_wub.png
:wub

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

Sue, my story is the same as yours! I raised big appaloosas before I got miniatures. And guess what, I now own a pintaloosa stallion, as well as an appaloosa stallion!
Pam C.
How is that appy boy!?
Hey Cristina! Smokey is doing great! I just love his personality! He is so nosey! LOL I have fattened him up some for winter, and I'll be anxious to breed him to a couple of mares next spring.

Sue, my story is the same as yours! I raised big appaloosas before I got miniatures. And guess what, I now own a pintaloosa stallion, as well as an appaloosa stallion! Pam C.
LOLOL! I have just sooo recently changed my mine on this. Up till just a month ago, I still wouldn't have considered it...but then I saw a couple of photos of a buckskin pintaloosa weanling colt that had unfortunately, recently been sold.
default_wub.png
Had I seen him first...he would be in my barn.
default_biggrin.png
default_laugh.png

I liked him so much that he could have been purple for all I cared...he is one nice little boy; and I missed him.
default_sad.png

However, I personally would NEVER EVER own an appaloosa colored horse. I don't like horses with a lot of color, but have had several pintos. However, if the pinto had appy background, I would pass.
Andrea,

I'm with you. I do not like a lot of color on my horses and have never liked the App. I have very few pintos here too as I am not fond of them either. I think a horse should be judged on its conformation rather than its color. Too many people are so hooked on color, they can not see the horse underneath.

Of course, now that I have Marbles....I may change my mind about color.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have loved the appaloosa coat pattern since I was a child so of course it’s my favorite. My first horse was a POA (Pony of America) stallion in the early 70’s. POA’s have come a long way with their conformation and now resemble small quarter horses with appaloosa color.

It may come as a surprise to some, but there aren’t many miniature appaloosas I REALLY like. I can count them on one hand. Actually, instead of looking at the horses of the past, I prefer to concentrate and breed for the future. The majority of the miniature appaloosas are unrefined, are very course, and I feel they need A LOT of help. That is why we set our focus on conformation that can prove itself in the show ring at the very top levels of AMHA WORLD and AMHR NATIONAL competition and should they have loud color too that’s great!

I only have one color prejudice as a miniature appaloosa breeder, that being, I will not use grey in our breeding program. It is difficult enough to find superior conformation to cross and improve the miniature apps without limiting conformation due to a color preference. I also see no point in breeding the same coarseness to the same coarseness as I see in many appaloosa breeding programs in the hope if somehow like magic their horses will improve. Isn’t that the definition of insanity? To continue to do the same things over and over again and expecting a different result.

I’m very proud to say our miniature appaloosas are not just prospects or contenders and our efforts are finally paying off in that our horses continue to prove themselves year after year at the WORLD/NATIONAL levels of competition with the style of a top halter horse and the athletic ability of a performance horse. Just my two cents. Go spots!!!!!!!

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
And no matter what color, I would take ANY of your horses!!!!

I'm aiming primarily for Appaloosas, but that said, I do have a nice stallion who is snowcap, tobiano, splash and sabino - so I expect he'll throw at least 50% pintos with app characteristics. The combo does make some great colors, so even though it's not my main focus, if the horse underneath the color(s) is good enough, I'll take the odds!

I was never a fan of appys...we were much more into pintos when we first started with miniatures. We had been on the search for a nice moving stallion to add to our herd and I emailed on an ad on the salesboard that didn't say anything about color and it didn't have a picture. Well, the person assured me that this horse would be what I'd want even though he was appy (technically pintaloosa as his sire is a pinto)...rather than send me a picture...he forwarded a video. Before I left work that day my hubby called and told me to just send a check...that horse needed to be ours...so I wrote a check and sent it off...made arrangements to have him shipped to Washington State all the way from Florida...without ME even seeing a picture! LOL But it was one of the best buys we've ever made...I LOVE this horse...he's athletic, has a good head on his shoulders, he's giving me fantastic foals, so even though I'm still not necessarily an appy fan...I now have Bonsai and several colored mares for him. I also was one of those pinto people who did not believe in crossing appy to pinto...but I have a gorgeous silver bay pinto Boomer daughter in foal to him for 2010...and I have to say that is one of my most anticipated foals!

So here he is...Westwind Farms Rollers Bonsai...6 years old this year...and even though this isn't the best picture I still like it. He had been pulled from pasture breeding mares 2 weeks prior to this picture...we had decided at the last minute to take him and show him. He was reserve grand champion stallion and also placed well in his driving classes (first time driven at a show)...he'll be out again next year
default_wub.png

th_bonsai4_7-12-09.jpg

Beautiful horses everyone!

Tracy

It may come as a surprise to some, but there aren’t many miniature appaloosas I REALLY like. I can count them on one hand. Actually, instead of looking at the horses of the past, I prefer to concentrate and breed for the future. The majority of the miniature appaloosas are unrefined, are very course, and I feel they need A LOT of help. That is why we set our focus on conformation that can prove itself in the show ring at the very top levels of AMHA WORLD and AMHR NATIONAL competition and should they have loud color too that’s great!
I only have one color prejudice as a miniature appaloosa breeder, that being, I will not use grey in our breeding program. It is difficult enough to find superior conformation to cross and improve the miniature apps without limiting conformation due to a color preference. I also see no point in breeding the same coarseness to the same coarseness as I see in many appaloosa breeding programs in the hope if somehow like magic their horses will improve. Isn’t that the definition of insanity? To continue to do the same things over and over again and expecting a different result.

I’m very proud to say our miniature appaloosas are not just prospects or contenders and our efforts are finally paying off in that our horses continue to prove themselves year after year at the WORLD/NATIONAL levels of competition with the style of a top halter horse and the athletic ability of a performance horse. Just my two cents. Go spots!!!!!!!

Dawn
default_saludando.gif
Great post Dawn!

I might add that I think that for most folks, I am sure that conformation comes FIRST regardless, which I guess is why I have such a difficult time adding horses to my small herd- if they dont have good conformation and disposition, they dont need to be here. I have no problems 'looking through the spots' and I look at all as if they are plain brown. If there is nothing else there BUT spots, then it's not for me.

But if I can find a nice horse, WITH spots, that is an added plus, so I hold out until I can find what I want without compromising my program. A couple of my mares are not loud colored- have very little roaning (and in fact were born solid) but I liked their conformation well enough for them to be added to my group.

This is a great topic - so many beautiful horses!

Just to add to the mix and to show that you never know just what the same parents are going to produce colour wise!

My 'Mummy' mare.

05-23-09_1309.jpg

Her first filly for us - give you a guess which famous American stallion is in her breeding LOL!!

IMG_0576.jpg

Her next foal (now 2 years) born this colour.

IMG_2154.jpg

Changed to this

masterpiecenmum.jpg

As a 2 year old winning Reserve Champion of all the spotty classes at our Mini Horse of the Year Show

IMG_1022.jpg

Then there was last years filly from the same parents!!

IMG_4444.jpg

And here is Daddy - my Argentian bred Falabella.

ansel-1.jpg

Anna

OMG!!! I LOVE THEM!!!! I think it is best if I take them you know for safe keeping
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back