appy pinto crosses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marvel

Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure if you breed an appy mare to a homozygous pinto stallion if you will get a mixture of the 2 colours or only the pinto coloration?Do you get any appy characteristics?thanks

Unless the pinto and the Appy are both H/Z for their patterns there is no guarantee
default_smile.png

Pinto color seems to be more easily "thrown" than appaloosa, for some reason. I've seen so many pintos that are pinto/appy bred, but the appy just doesn't seem to be expressed usually.

That said, I have a friend who has a granddaughter of Orion, and she looks so much like him, it is incredible.
default_yes.gif
: She's been bred once, to a pinto, and foaled a pintaloosa.

My friend has asked me to take the mare on lease, so I'm going to try breeding the mare to one of my appy-only stallions, hoping for a pintaloosa, which would be my first ever.
default_smile.png

It depends on the mare.. I have a true few spot who has appy every time she foals so far no matter what she is bred to.

She had 2 "pintos" for me the past couple of years.. the first one is now a 2 yr old and while from a distance doesnt have lots of appy characteristics he does have mottling, scelera and a couple of spots inside his pinto markings. His yearling sister is VERY LOUD she is not only a black and white pinto (which is how she appeared at birth) but now has a very loud blanket, tons of mottling and is getting spots all over her face and ears to. They are both now in CA with there new owner

The mare is open this year but will be bred to our palomino pinto stallion in 2007 so we will see if her record holds true
default_smile.png

A really good place to learn about appy genetics is the Appaloosa Project Forum its a yahoo group and is incredibly informative. You will learn about the different genes that make up the spotting pattern in the appys and they do discuss pinto gentics and how they interact with the appy genes.

Appaloosa and Pinto breeding you can get anything from them. We

have gotten pinto or pintoloosa's and this year we were very happy

supprised by a black leopard filly, our dream baby. So it is like all gene's

depends on which gene the foal gets. Even appaloosa to solid can produce

a very wide range in foal colors.

Vicky

Although the Appaloosa Project is very interesting and a lot of people have put a lot of time into it, it is important to remember that there is still no teat for any of the Appy patterns and all that is being said by the Appy \Project people is still theory.

I for one shall be very interested when a proper genetic test is found for distinguishing Appy patterns- especially H/Z ones
default_smile.png

Although the Appaloosa Project is very interesting and a lot of people have put a lot of time into it, it is important to remember that there is still no teat for any of the Appy patterns and all that is being said by the Appy \Project people is still theory.
Jane, do you mean TEST? I was confused for a moment there, thinking you were speaking more of that "over the pond" language, which I love!
default_smile.png
Or maybe it is an English phrase.... probably not one that I will pick up tho.
default_wink.png
: :bgrin

Btw, I just LOVE the appys-- you just never know what you are going to get, even after the foal arrives, LOL!

Hee hee Magic I was thinking the same thing first I read it a couple of times to make sure it was what I was reading.. then I thought hmm if that isnt a type that sure is a phrase that will get some attention lol

Yeah, it must be hard for those appy babies to get the nutrition they need! LOL

Combination of extreme sleep deprivation and a spellcheck with a mind of it's own- Buckeroo is another one I have to arm wrestle it for
default_yes.gif
:

Just want to repeat what was stated on another thread. While appy and pinto crosses look "pretty" and are acceptable to AMHA & R, they are not welcomed in Pinto. Right now Pinto is making a push to get more miniatures in their shows. A pintaloosa that does not "look" appy can get into pinto but I'm assuming that's not what you're wanting when you talk about appy/pinto crosses. Pinto used to check back on the papers for any appy blood and if it was within 3 (or was it 5) generations the horse could not be registered pinto. In wanting to increase their numbers and because it is so time consuming, they have dropped that to say that the horse must not "show" any appy characteristics. Which is fine except as you point out that as the appy gets older sometimes mottling etc. begins to appear. Which (now I'm making assumptions) could be a problem that might get the papers pulled.

Pinto, at this time, is a good place for beginners to get started with minis as the classes are very small and the competition (depending on what area you're in) much easier. Also their World Show in Tulsa offers some very nice prizes but you will find some steep competition there.

A pinto that does not 'look Appy' cannot get into the pinto registry. They research the pedigree. A friend of mine here sent in her papers on one of her pinto foals and lo and behold, got a letter back from Pinto advising that 4 or 5 generations back there was an Appy in the pedigree and they would not accept the foal. They also sent back her application, but kept her check!!! This happened about 2 or 3 years ago.

A pinto that does not 'look Appy' cannot get into the pinto registry. They research the pedigree. A friend of mine here sent in her papers on one of her pinto foals and lo and behold, got a letter back from Pinto advising that 4 or 5 generations back there was an Appy in the pedigree and they would not accept the foal. They also sent back her application, but kept her check!!! This happened about 2 or 3 years ago.
Sorry Laurie, that has changed now, as Sandee said. As long as the horse doesn't exhibit any Appy characteristics, the horse is able to be registered as a pinto.

Sorry Laurie, that has changed now, as Sandee said. As long as the horse doesn't exhibit any Appy characteristics, the horse is able to be registered as a pinto.

Yup, know from experience. Just registerd my stud last year and he has Orion Light Vant Huttenest for a great grandfather.

That's interesting and I will have to see if my friend knows then, as they pulled the papers on the dam too if I remember correctly!! The dam and foal show NO Appy characteristics at all. Since they had kept her check, I doubt that she will re register- it left a pretty bitter taste with her and their letter was written where it sounded like someone was trying to pull a fast one by registering a pinto that had appy in it way back!!
default_wacko.png
:

Glad to hear it is changed..... however - if the parent is registered pinto, but had an appy parent or grandparent, what happens when the foal comes out with appy characteristics? I know someone who bred two appy minis that did not show pinto coloration at all and guess what they had? A PINTO- both horses had pinto in the background. They were not horribly happy about it, but dont know if they researched the pedigrees on sire and dam either. It was a very cute baby though! LOL

In the 'old days' Pinto was merely a color registry, so it had shocked me that this had happened to her. So have they gone back to just color now?

As I said, they look at the pictures you send in and it says there should be no appy characteristics. They don't feel it worth while to spend the time and employees necessary to check back on each horse. If your horse would show the appy later and someone wanted to raise a ruckus, I'm assuming (though not certain -no rule I can find), that the horse might lose their pinto papers. The area of white to qualify for pinto for minis is only 2". I don't know if this has always been true but some of the "old(er)" pinto people are reluctant to register a minimally marked horse. I've had to read them the rules on one occasion when someone wanted to register their mini.

Also there was a rule change about horses that were formally listed as "breeding stock" now being allowed to show with everyone else. "breeding stock" is a horse without color but born to two registered pinto parents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thanks for the info and updates- lots of changes going on there.

We got away from the big Appies after they started letting the solid ones show and one year opened my breed journal to the National show results and I had to HUNT for the COLORED ones in there!! It looked like a QH magazine! I have heard rumors this year that they are even allowing POA's in now but dont know the rules or under what criteria. They are even allowing 'performance permits' starting next year, for horses that do not even have Appy characteristics. Why not just give them all regular papers then? Ah well.

Sometimes I wonder about some of the rules for breeds...... guess it makes life interesting.

Hi y'all...I am in New Zealand and have found this posting very interesting. I have a magnificent Pintaloosa mare that I have bred to a homyzygous Pinto Stallion and just can't wait to see what she produces for me. She is due early October :aktion033:

Cheers.

Briar.

Latest posts

Back