Appy Breeders--Need help with this one!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendyluvsminis

Reaction score
001.jpg
002-1.jpg
015.jpg

006.jpg
ourfarmstud.jpg

Hi there, my name's Ole Country Roads Frosty Tumbleweed. I started life as a solid chesnut colt. I'm now about 6 weeks old, and yesterday Mommy-Wendy (as compared to my Mummy-Silk Stockings) had me clipped--now I look like a poodle! However--Mommy Wendy says "more importantly, a poodle with Spotz!" What color do you think my base color is? Mommy-Silk Stockings is a chesnut Appy mare and my Daddy (pictured) is a Buckskin leopard (owned by Ourfarms Miniatures in Kentucky). My eyes have a hazel tint to them. This is my 1/2 brother from last year
webb2.jpg
(same sire,Mtn Springs Buckeroo Spotted Dandy, bred by Ourfarms Miniatures). He started out solid also and he's a near-leopard with blue eyes now. I have spotz on my behind, upper legs, and back at this point. 50 some--Mommy-Wendy counted! Will I be a near leopard too? Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
His legs, mane or tail is not black, and neither are the sire's. The sire, and this colt, look silver dapple to me.

Sire looks silver buckskin to me and the foal looks chestnut in the first few pictures and then in the last one doesn't so I'm not too much help there. He's a pretty boy!

His legs, mane or tail is not black, and neither are the sire's. The sire, and this colt, look silver dapple to me.

What would be the differance between silver and silver dapple? They do not have dapples. Can't wait to get him clipped the rest of the way, and another Appy filly, who looks solid now, but what IS SHE HIDING? Boy, Appys are fun!!!!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
default_biggrin.png

" Sire looks silver buckskin to me "

I gotta agree with ohmt, My tested silver bays have white mane and tails and the lower legs are greyish but not black.

Hi Wendy! Not sure if you got my email this morning, but so glad you got spots! I clipped his two half sisters-no spots
default_no.gif
But anyway, yes Spot is a silver buckskin, and I think your colt is silver, could have the cream gene but its hard to tell if a horse is silver or silver cream, its easier when they are adults becasue usually their mane and tails arent as light as on a plain silver. Since Silk is chestnut she could carry a silver gene also. Her dam is silver, her sire was chestnut so very possible.

Oh, forgot to say his half brother born last year was a leopard at birth, not sure if I ever sent you pics of when he was born or just his pics once he was clipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Wendy! Not sure if you got my email this morning, but so glad you got spots! I clipped his two half sisters-no spots
default_no.gif
But anyway, yes Spot is a silver buckskin, and I think your colt is silver, could have the cream gene but its hard to tell if a horse is silver or silver cream, its easier when they are adults becasue usually their mane and tails arent as light as on a plain silver. Since Silk is chestnut she could carry a silver gene also. Her dam is silver, her sire was chestnut so very possible.

Oh, forgot to say his half brother born last year was a leopard at birth, not sure if I ever sent you pics of when he was born or just his pics once he was clipped.

Yes, I got your email, and believe I sent you an email back with pictures of Tumbleweed. He will be clipped the rest of the way this week-end, and my other "solid" Appy filly too! Thanks!

Hmm, I didnt get your email! I checked my spam folder too. I was expecting emails from a couple other people and havent gotten them, darn!! :arg!

He looks silver to me. Silver and Silver dapple are used as the same thing.

Silver Bay or Silver Black base- I would actually hazard Silver Bay base, as they are the ones most often confused with Chestnuts

he sure is cute! if you cant come up with a color, get him tested through UC Davis :)

Latest posts

Back