Appy breeders

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mini Hoofbeats -- Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but it sounds that you are describing "roan," not necessarily varnish in apps. Roan darkens the bony areas you are attributing to varnish, I believe. I've been wrong before, but..........someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.
Varnish roan actually is not a roan at all, if you look up the characteristics of it as described by Dr. Shiela Archer of The Appaloosa Project. The "V" that shows up down the nose bone is a common characteristic of a Varnish roan! If you see a V then you have a Varnish roan gene at play! Tony posted a great example of a Varnish roan. The large horse in question with the "wishbone" if you look the V is starting to come in down his nose bone. Great examples! The varnish roan is out there more than we know and thats because a lot of breeders just getting into appies don't know the difference between "appy roan" where the horse gets more white hairs as it ages ALL over it's body (including the bony parts), and "varnish roan" which acts similar, but remember is not really a roan gene and leaves the bony parts of the body the horses true color while whiting out some, or most of the rest.

Upon looking at the current pics posted, she is definitely a gray, not a varnish roan, roan or other appy pattern. She has grayed out- and I do still agree- a LOVELY filly.

Latest posts

Back