Appy breeders color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.stronghorses.com/chianti.htm

Please click on this site to see heart's dam linage. Her sire is a son of Chianti the falabella stallion imported from Argentina. She has the mottling on her genitals and around her nose. She has striped hoofs and the appy eye. HEart's sire is a BlacK leopard appy.

Laurie, thanks for that wonderful and informative link. Minihoofbeats, your links wouldn't work for me. Can you PM me with the links and see if they work there. This is a very interesting subject to me since I believe I have a snowcap... hoping to prove that in a few years.
default_smile.png

Yes, few spots can be born with a 'sncwcap' pattern as well, but you can still see the white underneath the colored outer coat, and see what the REAL pattern is. That is the key to what you are getting. Gene's article had good pictures of the difference between the two.

Keep in mind, there is no KNOWN 100% homozygous gene for Appaloosas, though some few spots do have a 100% color record to date. The few spot has about a 99.9% color record AND they do consider having characteristics as 'color', as these are exclusive to be Appaloosa. A snowcap blanket has about a 96% color producing record, including the ones born with just characteristics as well.

This colt has all the qualifications to be a few spot. His dam has all the characteristics and is appy bred and the sire is a leopard. Congrats on your baby!! They are not as common in the minis as they are in the POAs and full sized horses.

My daughter bred her POA and a solid chestnut mare to a full sized few spot stallion last year and this spring was blessed with 2 fillies- one with a HUGE roan blanket and the other a LOUD leopard (which she is keeping to show POA)

Latest posts

Back