Anyone with goats?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RnRs Lilnickers

Reaction score
I know the horses can't have grass clippings but I was wondering if anyone knows if you can feed it to goats? It seems such a waste to leave all the cut grass just laying there. Anyone know if they can have it?

I'm afraid our goats get treated like 4-footed chipper-shredders. We probably shouldn't let them have grass clippings, but we do. We make a point of spreading the clippings out so that they don't heat up, but we haven't had any problems other than fat goats during the summertime!
default_rolleyes.gif

Yes, peanuts in the shell are fine, but some of them don't like the shell and prefer you shell them.
default_smile.png

I wouldn't feed grass clippings, if they start to heat up or ferment at all you can make them seriously ill. Not worth the risk IMO.

My goats LOVED peanuts......especially the shells. I live in VA "peanut country" and had a sheller very close to my farm. When I had a herd of almost 200 goats, I took a dump truck to the plant and they put the throw out shoot over my truck. At end of day I'd have a full load of cast off shells & some nuts. Drove back to farm and dumped this into their field and they (& the cattle) ate well.
default_biggrin.png
The shells are still high in protein and an excellent source of roughage. Saved a lot of hay!! Horses will munch on them, also. Just not as much or as enthusiastically.

Clippings -- if a lot spread them out to help cool/dry.

Always keep free choice baking soda out for the goats.....keeps tummy issues to almost zero. I bought mine in a 10# box (Costco, BJs, etc). Yeah, the clerks asked why I needed 50# of that.
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
we feed our pygmys and alpine grass clippings all the time.. but a secret u should know... that goats LOVE animal crackers and gold fish crakers!! lol

They also love raisins, don't know about the grass clippings, guess I'd spread them out.

Latest posts

Back