Is timothy hay okay for minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MerMaeve

Reaction score
Our hay supplier is out of the first cutting grass hay, but has first cutting timothy hay…does anyone have experience feeding their minis timothy hay? How do you like it?

Thanks in advance all!

Timothy should be good! I usually feed a first-cut timothy/orchard mix because that tends to be a bit less stemmy from my usual supplier (it's from Canada, I assume eastern Canada since I live in the northeast), but there is nothing wrong with timothy.

timothy is a grass hay, it's a great choice for most horses. It can be a little coarse if cut late, but most horses enjoy it.

Sure, most of the hay here is timothy or timothy orchard grass mix. Mine eat it with no problem and seem to do well on it.

This reminds me of a funny story - where I boarded in California, the horses were all in stall/paddocks. They had feed windows that the hay was dropped through and if a horse got fed anything but the "normal" there was a laminated paper next to the window with instructions. I brought my non-horsey fiance there once, and he spied a sign on a horse's paddock: "FEED TIMOTHY ONLY". He was confused why the other horses wouldn't get fed too. 🤣

Latest posts

Back