Anyone vaccinate their dogs?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the same basis that shorthorsemom mentioned I started doing my homework on this subject about a year or so ago when things weren't quite "meshing". (I wished I'd known then what I know now.) My regular vet's office got a new holloistic vet in their practice and I am thankful since then that they are all on the same page about giving yearly vaccinations. I would much prefer to run a titer first to see if my dogs need anything before going yearly as I had in the past. We stopped giving Larry (cat) yearly vaccines because he was getting very sick after he'd get them. He now goes for his well-check visit yearly. Rabies...well we have no other choice because of the township, but my other hollistic vet that also does horses, recommended some vaccine drops before and after the rabies vaccine to cut down on any side effects and such from the vaccine itself, so that's what we did with Lakota this year as she was due for her Rabies.

I no longer give Front Line or any of those top spot flea and tick meds either. A few years ago we almost lost Larry to it and after finding out what I have, will never put it on any of my dogs or cats ever again. There are so many natural and hollistic ways to go now with our canine and feline companions and for that I am thankful.

I couldn't paste the link, but if you google 2009 vaccination protocol Jean Dodds, there is a web page its for the annimals . com or something like that, its hard to find from this link unless you preselect it from the google words... vaccination protocol jean Dodds 2009 ... sorry guys, I am not a computer geek or I would link it for you direct, anyway, Jean yearly updates her recommendations based on the many years of titer and testing she has done. Vaccination of a dog that clearly has a strong titer is what is making our dogs sensitive, sick, cancers etc. please do check it out. Even Dog fancy mag had an article on the once every three year plan, however Jean Dodds wants even less than that... The year I was convinced to vaccinate my two 9 year old dogs for everything including Lyme, I had one get degenerative myeopathy and the other got an aggressive form of cancer. Both were gone within 8 months of that vaccination. Their risk of disease was minimal since they were basically house and yard dogs, My vet says coincidence. I don't think so. My mom's vet did once a year vaccinations on her dog, full tilt. Ironically once a year within weeks of vaccination my moms dog got very sick, has skin reactions, won't eat runs a fever etc.... last year it cost her $600 in vet bills to fix the damage done by the shots. Her vet gets down right nasty when she now says she won't vaccinate yearly and her vet also argues 1 year rabies instead of 3 year rabies even though it is exactly the same vial. yup that is true. Big rip off. Luckily my vet is progressive and gives me no hassle for not wanting to over vaccinate. If it gets to be too many years I plan to do titers. I should say that my vet did talk me into "one more shot" for my two older dogs at 8 1/2 years of age. I relented, and later kicked myself when one went into liver failure and the other got a really bad heart within 6 months of that shot. hmmmm I do not believe it was a coincindence whatsoever. My 5 year old dogs are done with their shots except the 3 year rabies vac.. When I vaccinated annually my dogs both small and large never lived past 10 years of age, on my dogs I did not vaccinate much, they lived much longer healthier lives. One doberman was 15, a min pin was 18. I cannot for the life of me believe it when somebody tells me they just took their old 12 year old dog in and their vet recommended a full series of vaccinations when the dog rarely leaves the yard. crazy. I do recommend a yearly check up for dogs. that is important. cheers.
default_aktion033.gif

There are rabies vaccinations now that are good for two or three years, and my vet's office just told me that adult dogs need only be tested for heartworm every other year. Though my daughter had a valid point: if a dog is on heartworm medication all year long, why does he/she need to be tested at all?
If you do give any of your own vaccinations, do double-check the expiration date on them; some of the vaccinations at feed/tack stores hang around far too long and expire without the employees noticing.
The other thing to be careful about in purchasing from farm stores is that they are not always properly stored. Two farm stores in this area had their stock sitting in back on the shelf but it was put in a refrigerator when put out on the floor for sale. Purchasing from a reputable online company is probably the best way to go if you're going to do your own......at least they know how to properly care for the vaccines and they're sent to you on ice so you know they're good.

Another thing to be aware of when talking of vaccines.......calling a vaccine a "4-way", "5-way", "6-way" vaccine etc doesn't mean anything because different manufacturers make different combinations. Your best bet is to look at what is IN the combination to determine if it is the correct vaccine for you. For dogs we usually use a vaccine that contains Canine Distemper-Adenovirus Type 2, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus & Leptospirosis. For horses it's a series of two injections and two intranasal vaccines: Fort Dodge Innovator injectable (Eastern, Western, Tetanus and West Nile), Merial Equine Potomavac + Rabies injectible, Calvenza Intranasal (Influenza a-1 & A-2 and Rhino EHV-1 & EHV-4) and Fort Dodge Pinnacle Intranasal (strangles). Intranasal Strangles and Rhino/Flu not only appear to be more effective, but they are vaccines that when given by injection are more likely to cause soreness or vaccine reaction.

As for the 1 year/3 year rabies? Yes, they do come from the same bottle and I know in Michigan that whether a dog gets a 1 year or a 3 year vaccine depends entirely by Michigan laws. By Michigan law the first rabies vaccine is only allowed to be in effect for 1 year so if you have a dog with no prior record of a rabies vaccine then the vaccine certificate can only be good for one year. Any vaccines following that first one can be considered good for 3 years. There are vet clinics that do charge more for the "3 year" rabies vaccine, but I don't understand how they sleep with the guilt. Our vet clinic charges the same fee regardless of whether it's a three or one year vaccine.

There is a purpose for testing for heartworm every year even if your dog is on it year round. First of all, not everyone is fully compliant in how they give their hw meds......we get many people every year that say they don't need any more hw meds because they have leftovers from the year before yet they insist they give their dogs their hw pills every month. There is also the real possibility that you give your dog their hw pill and then they go out in the backyard to play. While they're out there they get an upset stomach and throw up the pill.....guess what, you don't know that the pill is now sitting in the back yard and your dog is not protected. We don't get many positives of dogs that are "on prevention" but there are always a few every year and when you dig down deep to find out why there is usually a missed pill in there somewhere. The good thing is that the dogs on prevention who are positive are usually very low positives. Also be aware that not all companies guarantee their product if they are not purchased directly from a veterinarian. I know that Frontline and Heartguard guarantees are invalid if you purchase from an online source. Many of these products are black market items from online companies and not all of them are actually what is listed on the package. The online company many have some sort of guarantee, but the product manufacturer will not guarantee their product if not purchased from a veterinarian.

I can NOT imagine the prices some of y'all are paying at the vet's! Our vaccine office call is less than $6. Rabies vaccines are about $12 (prices had to go up a little for the first time in 6 years so I'm not sure on exact price), a Distemper combination is I think about $12 or $13. Heartworm tests are $20-25 (one tests for just heartworm and the other for heartworm/lymes/ehrlichia......those snap tests are EXPENSIVE to purchase). The only time you're going to get a bill for anything nearing $100 is if you have a large dog and get all your vaccines, a heartworm test and buy a year's worth of hw prevention and a box of frontline. Hmmmmm, maybe that's why we're so busy all the time.......

Will I just was looking at my vet bill from Saturday when I took Little Man (Min Pin) and the new puppy Windy (Mini Smooth Fox Terrier) in for a visit. Little Man weighs 13.9 lbs and Windy 11.5 lbs.

Little Man went basically to keep Windy company but needed his toe nails trimmed ($12.00)

Windy's had to go in for a deworming, her Bordetella Booster, her 1st year rabies, and her nails trimmed ($50.00)

I then got their Confortis (flea pills) for 2 months (55.20) and the Interceptor (heart worms) for 2 months ($24.16).

Total damage $141.32

This will get them through Nationals and then back for their 6 month supply of Confortis and Intercepter--lets see thats only $238.08--well called the vet to see & I was not off by much their 6 month supply would be 114.85 per dog, therefore $229.70. Better start saving my nickels and dimes now
default_laugh.png
default_wink.png

We don't ever vaccinate our Dogs or other animals.

default_smile.png

Back