Anyone vaccinate their dogs?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I think I'm going to take the plunge and vaccinate my dogs myself this year. My dog vet just nearly trippled his prices for the office visit + vaccines and its now so way out of line from what I usually paid its ridiculous. Problem is I am not sure of exactly what vaccines they get every year besides rabies and they also draw blood for heart worm testing so what do you give your dogs?

I hear ya, my vet charges $35.00 a shot just for the common diseases. I can get a similar 7 way shot at TSC for about $7.00 ! So why the huge mark up ? It isn't that hard to give a dog a shot. I am a bit needle shy..Ok ALOT needle shy but I manage to give my own shots for that kind of savings. Check your local farm supply stores, most that carry horse vaccines also carry canine vaccines too.

Dr. Foster & Smith do a great job of explaining vaccines and also makes recommendations on their web site which ones to use. Just like horses they have 4, 5, 6 and 7 way vaccinations. Valley Vet Supply has good prices on vaccines.

I use a 5 way on small dogs and a 6 way on large dogs. They recommend not giving Lepto to small dogs. You can also watch for local rabies clinics and save $ that way too. You should test yearly for heartworm and lymes.

This new charge would be $176. for each dog. I have two dogs.

It includes their blood test for heart worms, rabies, (and tag) and then the vaccinations.

I'm totally going to bring them in for the anual blood testing and rabies, just not sure what vaccinations to give.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to suggest Dr Foster and Smith but the shipping and handling adds a good chunk of change to your bill. I found that out when I ordered my mini's vaccines from them. I'm not sure that is the best way to go if you only have one or two dogs to vaccinate.

Edit to add : The last time I took advantage of a "clinic" to save money, I ended up with two dogs with kennel cough. To treat them for it took up what little money I had saved by going to the clinic !
default_wacko.png
I have six dogs so I'm happy that only two of them came down with it but I'll never try that again.

We give the regular puppy shots which we can get at the producers co-op where we get vacinations for our goats etc. Since the only dogs we have are LSGs, and no way I'm going to take them from home, (off the job!) we pay for a "farm call" from our Vet. $$$ Every year he comes out for the dog's Rabies shots, and while here, anything else I need him to look at. Can't take a chance with Rabies, living out where coyotes and stray dogs and every other Rabies carrying critter roams.

We start the heart-worm preventative at 4 months old, using that very small amount of Ivermectin. So that's inexpensive.

What really gets me though, is that many years ago, everyone could buy the Rabies shots for their farm dogs and everyone around here did just that. When that changed a few years ago, and it had to be done by the Vet, people around here don't bother; mainly because they can't afford to take their dogs to the Vet.

And of course, out in the country, is where people dump their unwanted dogs!

We give our dogs a 7-way. In my state, when it comes to dogs (vs. horses / livestock), rabies must be given by the vet. It is easy to give the 7-way shot. One part is a powder, the other liquid. Inject the liquid into the powder, draw it up, and inject kind of into the scruff of the neck. I've been vaccinating the dogs myself for a decade or so
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

I tried it one year and am a chicken doing the dogs. No problem with the horses, but not the dogs, and we have 7 dogs.

One doesn't get any vaccinations now because of an autoimmune disesase that may have been caused by vaccines. She only gets rabies and her heartworm tests. You can just imagine our bills.

We do ours every June. We give them sub cutaneous and have had no issues.

Years ago when I used to raise Chihuahuas, I used to give the puppy shots myself (just under the skin, not muscular) but the rabies has to be done by the vet. After I stopped raising dogs, I have never questioned the price of vaccinations...just always had them done. I have just recently decided to once again start raising a few pups, and just called to inquire, and just about died when I was told they are $74.50 for each of the pups 3 shots (does not include the rabies!) and $84.50 for an adult dog booster (again, no rabies in that price). When I asked why the $10 difference for the EXACT same shot, I was told because the pups had to have 3 sets so they give a bit of a break.
default_new_shocked.gif
This is getting waaaaaay out of hand for fees!!

Here it is $40 for the "exam fee" and $10 per shot. So, $50 for each puppy visit (2) and $60 for the 3rd and final visit, because that one includes the rabies shot. After that it's $50 per year, plus an additional $10 every 2nd or 3rd year for the rabies shot.

When I've had the vet do dog vaccinations here at the farm while she's here on a call for a horse it's been only $30 for the exam fee plus $10 per shot.

I wouldn't mind so much paying $40 for an exam fee for the first vet visit for a puppy, but paying that 3 times in the space of 2 months gets to be a little bit much. all the exam consists of is palpating the dog's body, listening to its heart & (maybe) taking temperature...on a farm call no temperature is taken, perhaps that's why it's $10 cheaper.

There are rabies vaccinations now that are good for two or three years, and my vet's office just told me that adult dogs need only be tested for heartworm every other year. Though my daughter had a valid point: if a dog is on heartworm medication all year long, why does he/she need to be tested at all?

If you do give any of your own vaccinations, do double-check the expiration date on them; some of the vaccinations at feed/tack stores hang around far too long and expire without the employees noticing.

I took my mini schnauzer for his "yearly checkup". It was $250.00
default_new_shocked.gif
$80 of that was for the heart worm, and no blood panels done because that was $170. For the heart worm-he weighs 26 pounds and now mind you he is a pound over the lower dose. They gave me the higher dose (by #1 pound come on) I need to check that next time. It is a six month supply. I am seriously thinking of giving my own shots. Guess that is why I only have one dog.
default_wacko.png

I wouldn't skip an annual exam for a dog you think needs one, but I swear, a shot is a shot is a shot. If me giving them is good enough for the horses, the same goes for the dogs. I order dog vaccines the same time / place as the horse ones. Saves a lot of money plus we have a couple of big dogs who do not like to go in the car.

There are rabies vaccinations now that are good for two or three years, and my vet's office just told me that adult dogs need only be tested for heartworm every other year. Though my daughter had a valid point: if a dog is on heartworm medication all year long, why does he/she need to be tested at all?
If you do give any of your own vaccinations, do double-check the expiration date on them; some of the vaccinations at feed/tack stores hang around far too long and expire without the employees noticing.
That rabies vaccine - it's actually the EXACT same shot - ask the vet office - they probably don't want to tell you that, but it's true
default_yes.gif
. My vet gives the rabies shot around 6 months and then in a year when they are due for the next one will call it good for 3 years and I get the 3 year rabies tag then.

Some of the protocol is actually set by the companies that sell the product - for example, with heartguard, they guarantee treatment of heartworms if your dog would get it while on their product - but ONLY if your dog takes it all year long (not sure how that is proven, I guess maybe you supply vet records of your purchase??) and only if they are tested annually for heartworms.

At least that was the way it was when I worked at a vet office about 10 years ago - things could surely have changed.

I think I'd also do my own vaccines for my 3 dogs, but I do board them on occasion and boarding facilities need that documentation from my vet. And, it's not legal for me to give the rabies vaccine in Iowa. Also, I've found that vet offices are much more open to helping ME out in an emergency if I'm a regular client of theirs, including those annual check-ups.

I'm very lucky to have a very cheap farm vet in my area (unfortunately doesn't do horses, though) but once he retires, I'm going to be in big trouble!

Read "stop the shots" and anything else by Jean Dodds first before you give any more yearly vaccinations to your dogs and cats.... There is proven data showing we are over vaccinating our pets and causing more damage than any disease the vaccination is preventing. You need never vaccinate more often than once every three years for anything. You should not vaccinate geriatric dogs by any means except for rabies which is required by law. Vaccinating cats every year has proven to cause cancer in many. Jean Dodds has a new posted vaccination recommendations and you might be surprised that most dogs are vaccinated for life on their puppy shots, this data is backed up by many years of testing and running titers. My vet has already reduced vaccination recommendations on her clients to the three year protocol. Many vets are still saying yearly shots, that is just for the money, not for the dog. Tons of data out there. Probably true in horses too, but not been studied extensively like in the dogs and cats. Its real, write me back if you can't find any of this data I mentioned. First dog I did the reduced vaccination program on lived 18 years. Vets are getting expensive, I always check for Lyme every year and for heartworm, that is it, My older dogs only get rabies, my younger dogs get vaccinations every three years until they are middle aged and that is it except rabies. I never give lyme, too many reactions to that one even given once. cheers.
default_saludando.gif

I just googled - "stop the shots" by jean dodd........and recommend others do too!

Was just thinking -- we put our human children through a series of shots and boosters, but then it becomes unnecessary for us as adults. Why isn't it the same for our pets????

Was just thinking -- we put our human children through a series of shots and boosters, but then it becomes unnecessary for us as adults. Why isn't it the same for our pets????
I've always wondered this too.

My cats and dogs get the full series as babies, but the last couple of years all I have given mature dogs & cats are rabies - and the rattlesnake vaccine for the dogs. I've had second thoughts about vaccinating so heavily and am reconsidering it the horses too. I know several people who no longer vaccinate horses, and have healthy herds. One has not vaccinated in 15 years, they have a large barn & host events there so outside horses come in.. I'm not going to stop on young horses and horses who are hauled to shows, but I'm sure considering it for the others.

Slightly off topic, but has anyone looked into Bayers Preventicare program lately (with daily Strongid C use)? It requires regular vet checks and annual vaccines, etc. The program initially was free, just a paperwork headache but they did pay for two colic surgeries for us so I had considered adding some horses back onto it lately. There is now an annual $50 fee per horse. They get you coming and going LOL.

Jan

Latest posts

Back