Anyone Still Soaping??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get a BIG box of citric acid from my soap supplier and I found a LARGE :new_shocked: bag of baking soda, and I mean LARGE, the size of a 50lb bag of horse feed, lol, for $9.99. Can't get better than that. The large bag of baking soda I get at TSC store.

If you ever want to make the milk baths (made with powdered milk, (let me know and I can give your the recipe) you can package them in the little plastic milk jugs, they are too cute.
Yes please, I would love the recipe for the milk baths :bgrin

Yvonne

Sorry I haven't been on its been a long weekend.

Danielle, I have shortening, canola oil, soy oil, olive oil, coconut oil, I think that is it.

I don't have any grapeseed, I can't seem to find it in the stores, would it be under a different name?

Also can you use the crayons to color the CP soap?

Also can I add fresh goats milk to my melt and pour soap?

I'm going to try to get a bunch of CP soap done this week, than work on the other stuff.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry, I am fighting a MISERABLE cold, one that puts you on your back, ugh, been sleeping off work for two days and will probably be three... What size of mold are you using. You need a slab mold or something square or oblong for CP so you can easily slice them once done. I always based my recipes on 100% (so 100 ounces of oil) and then either half it or whatever is needed. Let me know the size of mold, how many ounces it holds. If it's a plastic mold (make sure it can stand high heat and I lining your mold with parchment paper is ALWAYS a good idea unless you are using rubber mold, than you need not do this) and you aren't sure, measure some water in ounces and fill it and let me know. The maximum you should use in coconut oil in a 100 ounces recipe would be 30 ounces (basically 30% of your recipe) or you stand to have the soap drying to the skin. Coconut oil adds lather which is a good think :). If you want bubbly lather you want to add some castor oil. This you can get from a drugstore and you only need to add aqbout 3% or 3 ounces to a 100 ounce recipe or 1 1/2 ounces for a 50 ounce recipe. Another good readily available oil is sunflower oil because it is a light oil and olive oil is a WONDERFUl oil to add. Grapeseed oil is a good oil because it is an oil used for body massages. It is light and is well absorbed by the skin, no greasy feeling....

Let me put the oils you have on hand in a lye calculator for 100 ounce recipe and as I said you can always half it, be right back.

I don't believe you can add goats milk to a M&P soap. The only thing you can add to M&P is some different oils to make it nicer on the skin, such as cocoa butter, shea butter, etc. etc. You could use your goat milk on the CP soap though. Instead of using water to mix the lye into you would use the same amount of goat milk (mega chilled), as you would water or a mixture of water and goatmilk to make the needed liquid amount that the lye would go in. As I said make sure you goat milk is FREEZING cold because when you add the lye it heats it up alot and you don't want the goatmilk to burn and give off a burnt odour in your soap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, here is a recipe you can use with the oils you have on hand.

crisco - 50 ounces

coconut oil 30 ounces

Olive oil - 15 ounces

Canola oil - 5 ounces

This will give you

Hardness: 39

Cleansing: 20

Conditioning 55

Bubbly lather :20

Creamy lather: 19

Let me get your lye and water amount and add here.

I will add the link here of the lye calculator which gives you the properties above. Not sure which one you are using but I always use this one but go to another for my water and lye calculations because I always discount on those. I discount the water and lye because trace happens much quicker and because I don't have to wait 48 hours to unmold my soaps and it reduces the cure time by a week or so.

http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/SoapCalc.asp

Okay, based on the above recipe with 0% superfatting (that means without adding any percentage of oils) after saponification)

you need for the above 100 ounce recipe 33 ounces of water and 14.820 ounces of lye.

Now if you half the recipe (oils) you will use 17.5 ounces of water and 7.410 of lye.

Always remember to add you lye to the liquid - NEVER the other way around. You could use the goatmilk for the liquid portion, all or a portion of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back