Anyone seen this before? Horse looks moldy PICS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KendallG

Reaction score
So, my blades were dull as all get out. So, I had a local groomer reclip my mini. He clipped him a tad bit close for my liking for now but, it'll grow hah. Now to the point. I've always noticed that this chestnut horse didn't have the same black skin as the rest of my red horses. And noticed a few spots here and there. But, now he's coat is so short you can see that all over his body are black spots like his base skin color is pink. He seriously looks moldy. Both parents were pintos and he does have a couple roan spots but, idk kind of strange. Could it be some type of deficiency?

I took some pics but, they didn't turn out to well. The best are of his back. But, it covers his whole body

image.jpgimage.jpg

I don't think its a deficiency or mold. A lot of horses have a tad darker colored hair than most of their body - in the summer you see a lot of horses that look dappled, even bays especially in the summer.

Lol I knew he wasn't really moldy. But, he seriously looks like a moldy peice of bread haha. It just got got me wondering since it was his skin. And I tried googling some. my only results were Appaloosa's and a thread where someone had a similar case and people were mention a few different deficiencies. But, it was a few years old and didn't really lead anywhere.

Are the black spots scally or flaking, if so it could be fungus and you can mix some betedine in with your shampoo to get rid of it.

Idk where my other post went but, no. No flaking or anything like that. Looks similar to the mottling on like an app.

However, it's not genetically possible for him to be appy. Idk it's just weird.

If it is reverse dapples wouldn't I see this on his coat as well? Bc it only affects his skin not his coat coloring. But I'm not familiar with reverse dappling.

I have wondered if possibly he is a roan. He wouldn't be what I called a true roan. But, he does have a lot more white hairs then scattered throughout then a typical chestnut. I don't recall what my old roan mares skin looked like. For now I'm stumped. Lol

I think what you have are just darker blotches from an old skin injury, maybe rain rot or the like. Often the pigmentation is darker in the affected areas. The white hairs are probably just sabino roaning going on.

What other options as far as skin injuries? I've owned him since a weanling and he's never had any rain rot. And these spots are also on his head, neck, and legs.

What does he look like unclipped? Share a pic or two. Maybe it'll help determine what the skin spots are.

I think this is what we used to call reverse shading dapples! I've seen this in many horses over the years!

Bill

I was able to find some good pics and descriptions and it sounds just like the reverse dappling. But, just my luck it's only on his skin. I don't get any cool coat markings or coloring
default_sad.png

I still haven't been able to find any un clipped pictures but, I did take these tonight. The flash made it super easy to see through his hairimage.jpgimage.jpg

And here is one further back so you can see just the hair coat

image.jpg

When I was in my early 20's I worked at a race horse farm. We had many, many chestnuts with spotted skin. It was not a disease or deficiency, it was more a trait. These horses were very well cared for, very well fed and given everything they could possibly need in the way of veterinary care and feed.

It was more prominate in the "thin skinned" horses as they were called.

Looking at them dry, you could only see it on one or two of them and only if you were right close to them. It was more obvious when they were wet. I would guess since minis have a thicker haircoat than a TB, you can only see it now that he is shaved so closely.

Of course if you are concerned about it, have your vet take a look. Just saying it is possible to just be his normal skin.

Love the pic with the little girl BTW... Totally adorable!
default_smile.png

KLM that was more what I was leaning towards it being. I was crossing my fingers that someone had experienced something like that. But, the vet is coming in a few weeks and I was going to get him to look at him just to be on the safe side.
default_smile.png

Thank you! I show racking horses with her mother. She's 3 and it was her first show. It was hilarious. One mini was dragging the little boy all over the arena. And it was all chaotic and he wasn't paying attention to her so, I told her to get his attention with the chain.. and when the judge walked up to her she turned and looked at the judge and said I yanked him hard! It was hilarious.

Latest posts

Back