Anyone Lose Brain Processing Ability

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DunPainted

Reaction score
Man, I feel as though my brain has turned to "mush" since having two surgeries in less than a month. A few friends relayed that it takes 3 months to "get with it" post-surgery. They attribute their lack of memory and ability to process thoughts on anesthesia.

A friend stopped by yesterday to see how my recovery is going. Had no idea he knew of my surgeries -- and couldn't remember his previous visit.

Even doing simple math or completing a sentence has diminished -- it's eery. By mid-day, I take a nap, just to rest my brain.

Anyone had such an experience they'd like to share?

Thank you.

Cindy

default_unsure.png
: After 3 brain surgeries over the last year....yeah...I'd say some stuff got rattled loose up there in my 'ol "thinker tank".
default_wacko.png
:

Keeping you prayers for a full recovery soon! {{{HUGS}}}

Last edited by a moderator:
My mother had a 5 way by-pass

Afterwards, she never got herself back together again. Ever.

Get well soon Cindy! It's been a ruff road for you.

This happened to my Mom. She had lung cancer surgery and then a couple months after had 2 back surgeries within about a month. It has been almost two years and she is still not the same, but she has improved alot. Don't want to scare you, because everyone is different. I think alot depends on your age. My Mother is 66. Below is an article I found on Delirium and the elderly - this is what her doctor said she had/has, although I don't consider 66 elderly, I'm not sure what they do. I believe delirium can happen at any age, but increases alot with age. I am 37 and after two extreme surgeries in less than 4 days, I do believe I had this as well, but not to the extreme my Mother did/does and I did fully recover (at least I think so :lol: , my husband might disagree). The article does say that cardiac surgeries tend to be worse, as Marty mentioned.

Anesthesia, the aging brain, and the surgical patient

I hope you feel better soon, keep in mind it hasn't been that long ago you had your surgeries, give yourself a break, rest, it takes a long time to recover from any surgery physically and mentally at any age.

Since many are stating the long lasting effects of this just let me tell you though I have not been through it my sister did and she came back 100 % but you need to give yourself lots of rest and time. dont feel bad about the nap it how you recharge.

My dad had brain surgery a few years ago and to be honest it took a while till he was back to normal he still has some issues with short term memory but he is older now and not sure how much is attributed to that.

Your body and mind has been thru so much this month I would honestly think what you are going thru is very normal and to be expected.

I HAD 2 BIG SURGERIES ABOUT 7 WEEKS APART AND MY BRAIN HAS SEEMED TO TURN MUSSY AS WELL
default_yes.gif
: . SIMPLE THINGS GET ME CONFUSED
default_wacko.png
: . I GOT A THANK YOU CARD IN THE MAIL FROM A FRIEND I SENT A WEDDING GIFT TO...I DIDN'T REMEMBER SENDING IT OR EVEN WHAT I HAD SENT :eek: ! IT IS PRETTY SCARY. IT HAS BEEN 3 MONTHS SINCE MY LAST SURGERY AND I THINK I AM GETTING BETTER BUT I STILL HAVE A BIG PROBLEM WITH MY MEMORY. THE DOCTORS TELL ME IT WILL ALL COME BACK, WE'LL SEE . BEST OF LUCK WITH YOUR RECOVERY
default_smile.png
, NIKKI

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Cindy

If I remember correctly you had surgery in your Abdomen area? Correct?
default_unsure.png
: I know, when I had surgeries the older I got the harder it was to come back to "normal" . I know with my last one it has been almost two years (May "07") and between the chemotheropy and Radiation treatments right after that, I am still not feeling back to myself and tire very easily.

I know when I was at my worst with the memory part of it as you are speaking of. I was on NUMEROUS meds.... :eek: Some were major pain relievers prescribed by my Oncologist and with all the different meds I was on for Nausea..ect...all the meds didnt mix together very well... :eek: However when I could lower my doses on the meds and switch back to more mild prescribed pain relievers and go completely off the other meds I felt better and could think MUCH MORE CLEARLY.
default_yes.gif
: So please check with you doctor and put together a list of meds you are taking both prescribed and over the counter and you just might find like I did that it is the COMBINATION of meds that is making this problem worse for you....
default_yes.gif
: Even meds they "say" can be taken with other meds, sometimes one person can tollerate it and others cant...Just lowering the dosage sometimes helps too.
default_yes.gif
:

Well, mine isnt from surgery. But I have chunks of memory gone. I went to college but cant tell you a thing about it, nothing, not what a building looked like, names etc, that entire period is gone. I also dont process time, I can tell you what time of day it is, nearly to the minute, but to think that Christmas is 2 weeks away, that doesnt filter through. I cannot sit and read a book, used to read all the time, but now I cannot follow page to page. Short stuff is fine, but nothing longer.

I do wish you the best of luck in your recovery and will tell you to listen to your body and NOT everyone else.

Hi there...I never did have surgery but recieved a real bad concussion in the mid 80's due to me jacking up my old station wagon to put studs on . I remember it being sooooo cold windy and snowing...I was huddled real close to the jack as I was jacking up the car and the car slid forward when it was in the air......the jack sprung back and hit me in the head. Don't remember too many details...but I remember not seeing...my vision was like a fuzzy TV.

My thought process was not good for about 2 years...lol, that was many years ago...I think I am normal now
default_unsure.png
:
default_smile.png

I remember getting sentences out was hard ( I knew in my head what i wanted to say) but to get it out was not easy. I remember my favorite saying were "I don't remember" or "I forget"... it was just easier. Another challange was walking down steps....I had to concentrate so much just to have a rythym...most times I could not get a rythym. I walked like a toddler...one stair at a time.

Slowly...Slowly...Slowly I got better.

Funny after all these years I still can feel the spot on my skull...it is still a bit tender.

I am not sure what kind of surgery you had...but if it was brain surgery...I am sure it might be a little like getting a concussion (a bruised brain)

I hope this helps....I sure hated feeling that way and had no one to talk to.

You will get better
default_yes.gif
: Teri

Latest posts

Back